Christman Tree Formation Tactic Feedback

Hello there. After many failed attempts to get the wide formations working the way I want them to, including my ongoing Valencia save, I accidentally created the christmas tree formation, that is, the 4321 formation. I always thought of it as a boring and not very successful formation, but boy, did I change my opinion. I like my teams defensively solid, playing possesion stlye of football, and this tactic is great at it. We have been doing pretty decent with it this season so far, but as always, there is room for improvement. So I am asking You, fellow managers, for your thoughts and feedbacks on my tactic.

Thing we are good at: Tackling, denying teams goalscoring opportunities, defence

Thing we struggle with: Passing, keeping possesion, creating ccc, defending wide

Basically, the way I want us to play is, defending deeper, being patient and cautious with our press, winning the ball and then controling the possesion and creating chances with it. That being said, main issues of our tactic is actually passing and keeping the possesion.

PI's: 

• cb- close down less
  • wb's- dribble more, shoot less often, mark tighter
  • dlp- take more risks, more direct passes
  • seg vol-get further forward, dribble more, shoot more often
  • am (supp) - take more risks, dribble more, roam from positions, move into channels
  • am (att) - take more risks, dribble more

I wouldn't like to press more, due to the fact we could lose our defensive shape, I like playing through middle, as I've read it raises my midfield's player mentality, and I like playing more disciplined when playing against better teams, in order to not lose that defensive stability. Against weaker sides, I turn off the instruction to be more disciplined.

Also, would the instruction "Stop crosses" help with defending out wide?

Thank's for all your help. :)

Valencia_TeamPerformance.thumb.png.3ad0efcd2382d5235eb9ffcf31ebc9e1.pngValencia_Overview-2.thumb.png.fddf8c2e81a9e54bbbbef223069fa9fe.pngValencia_Overview.thumb.png.d17ab3d0f5a3607d4e41126228616342.pngSpanishFirstDivision_Stages.thumb.png.d0c6e583f14592b601235ffaf4059813.pngValencia_Overview.thumb.png.d17ab3d0f5a3607d4e41126228616342.pnge

• af - take more risks, mark tighter

5 hours ago, Hanzek31 said:

Hello there. After many failed attempts to get the wide formations working the way I want them to, including my ongoing Valencia save, I accidentally created the christmas tree formation, that is, the 4321 formation. I always thought of it as a boring and not very successful formation, but boy, did I change my opinion. I like my teams defensively solid, playing possesion stlye of football, and this tactic is great at it. We have been doing pretty decent with it this season so far, but as always, there is room for improvement. So I am asking You, fellow managers, for your thoughts and feedbacks on my tactic.

Thing we are good at: Tackling, denying teams goalscoring opportunities, defence

Thing we struggle with: Passing, keeping possesion, creating ccc, defending wide

Basically, the way I want us to play is, defending deeper, being patient and cautious with our press, winning the ball and then controling the possesion and creating chances with it. That being said, main issues of our tactic is actually passing and keeping the possesion.

PI's: 

• cb- close down less
  • wb's- dribble more, shoot less often, mark tighter
  • dlp- take more risks, more direct passes
  • seg vol-get further forward, dribble more, shoot more often
  • am (supp) - take more risks, dribble more, roam from positions, move into channels
  • am (att) - take more risks, dribble more

I wouldn't like to press more, due to the fact we could lose our defensive shape, I like playing through middle, as I've read it raises my midfield's player mentality, and I like playing more disciplined when playing against better teams, in order to not lose that defensive stability. Against weaker sides, I turn off the instruction to be more disciplined.

Also, would the instruction "Stop crosses" help with defending out wide?

Thank's for all your help. :)

Valencia_TeamPerformance.thumb.png.3ad0efcd2382d5235eb9ffcf31ebc9e1.pngValencia_Overview-2.thumb.png.fddf8c2e81a9e54bbbbef223069fa9fe.pngValencia_Overview.thumb.png.d17ab3d0f5a3607d4e41126228616342.pngSpanishFirstDivision_Stages.thumb.png.d0c6e583f14592b601235ffaf4059813.pngValencia_Overview.thumb.png.d17ab3d0f5a3607d4e41126228616342.pnge

• af - take more risks, mark tighter

How wedded are you to the current shape of 4-3-2-1?

• Utilizing the wingbacks in the wingback strata with 3 central defends is going to fix a lot of issues you mentioned (particularly vulnerability out wide and transitions).
  • It'll change the shape a bit but you'll still be a 4-2-3-1. Will be a little less demanding on your two wingbacks as well.

If you want to keep the current christmas tree, I would recommend looking at the three DMs. 

• I like the SV but you're leaving a lot of the passing progression of the ball to a DLP(d) who will do a lot of recycling no matter the PIs.
  • With all that midfield protection around him, you could easily run him as a RGA behind a CAR/MEZ CM combo or keep the SV/BWM(s). I would recommend CAR MEZ, you can then stagger the duties of the wingbacks which will help you defensively in wide areas. Also the wingbacks won't be completely run into the ground.
  • I'd recommend using focus through the middle as a match change TI. Leaving a focus area on all game can make you predictable and the players in that area tired. 

Big concern from the current setup for me is that it's a bit passive, particularly with the low tempo, balanced mentality on a midblock with so many players naturally starting deep. 

• I would recommend positive mentality and bumping up the tempo a notch or two as a good starting point.
  • Might look to add a bit more threat down the left hand side. Swapping the SV (Or MEZ) to the left could be nice. 
Edited by Cloud9