How to beat very direct counter attacking play?

Hello,

I recently played a game against a team that kept doing the exact same thing. Long ball passing to their front line, beating my defense and making a run at goal. I tried fiddling with my defensive lines but I was not successful in beating this. Any tips on how to beat direct play?

4 hours ago, phantombandit said:

Hello,

I recently played a game against a team that kept doing the exact same thing. Long ball passing to their front line, beating my defense and making a run at goal. I tried fiddling with my defensive lines but I was not successful in beating this. Any tips on how to beat direct play?

Post your tactic. I'd avoid tight marking their forward if you're struggling against counter attacks. You're making life easy for a quick forward who will be running into space.

Without knowing the specifics: If they're looking to counter don't play into their hands, the worst thing you can do is all out attack and take too many risks (try playing on balanced mentality to start). Slow the game down and control possession, target their players with the ability to make line breaking passes. If your defenders aren't capable of dealing with their front lines pace, drop your lines. A DM who can win balls in the air and a quick sweeper keeper can both help deal with hoofed balls.

It's as much about squad building a front foot side as tactics. 

Edited by Cloud9