(FM23) – Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge

Coxie84

(FM23) – Sir Alex Ferguson Challenge

Posted on 4 Dec 2022 by CoxieFM

Can you emulate one of the greatest managers of all time in this challenge…

slide1-4.jpg?w=1024

SIR ALEX FERGUSON CHALLENGE

The Sir Alex Ferguson (SAF) Challenge involves you simulating the game until the 6th November and you taking over the club that is in 19th in the Premier League on that day, pretty much what Sir Alex Ferguson did back in 1986 when he took over the reins as Manchester United manager.

I haven’t done many challenges on the FM series, a part of the Director of Football (DoF) challenge and of course this series myself.

Also, I’d like to say I am not a Manchester United, however I have massive respect for Sir Alex – a true legend and one of the greatest managers in the English game. Also I am not a fan of any of the club in the Premiership so I am not fussed which club I get given.

Anyway, back to the SAF Challenge….

You need to…

• Stay at one club – The Scotsman managed Man United for 26 years.
  • Aim to bring Youth Players through – “Class of 92“.
  • Persuade long term players to become part of your backroom staff.

Goals of the Challenge…

• Win a Domestic Cup/Trophy within 4 seasons – Ferguson won his first Cup vs Crystal Palace in 89/90.
  • Win a League title within 7 seasons – Ferguson won his first title in 92/93.
  • Win a League and Cup double within 8 seasons – Ferguson won his first double with United in 93/94.
  • Win a League, Cup and the Champions League within 13 seasons – Ferguson won the infamous treble in 98/99.

Total number of trophies that the Scotsman won during his managerial career at Old Trafford…

• Premier League (13)
  • FA Cup (5)
  • League Cup (4)
  • Community Shield (10)
  • UEFA Champions League (2)
  • UEFA Europa League (1) (Replaces the Cup Winners Cup)
  • UEFA Super Cup (1)
  • FIFA Club World Cup (2) (One Replaces Intercontinental Cup)

A few rules to follow when taking this Football Manager Challenge on…

• No usage of the in-game editor – Which I never have on anyway.
  • No buying or selling from/to your direct rival. – This depends on the club I get really. Plus it’s difficult if one of the so called top six club come in and offer you £100m + for a player, I don’t think anyone would reject it in this day and age.
  • No more than 11 signings per season, of which only 8 can play in the first team that season. Depends on the club this rule, If I need a complete rebuild.
  • Spending restrictions. I will have no spending restriction on due to the transfer market is in a different world than the mid 80s through to the 2013 during Sir Alex’s time.
  • Promote as many youth players as you can and have a minimum of 1 player promoted from the youth academy in every single matchday squad. (The likes of Beckham, Giggs, Scholes & others were all part of the youth system and went on to become legends at the club)
  • Promote at least 1 new player to the youth academy to the senior team every single season. I would say the last two are really joint in some ways and I would have to see what club I get first to see if it’s achievable, well definitely the one with a youth player in the matchday squad.
  • Sacked or Relegation. Don’t know – maybe let the readers decide or I just add myself back as the manager and just carry on the save and add the information onto the style of graphic above which is titled “The Impossible Dream” and complete it within 26-27 seasons with the one club.

My SAF Challenges on previous FMs

On FM22…

I took over as the Wolves manager, which being a Walsall fan, this was interesting as that I was going to managing one of our Black Country rivals. However, I tried my best to win silverware, but the save was cut short due other reasons. The series can be found under the FM22 tab.

On FM21, there was something different…

I used the same rules but The Twist To The Save Was Not In England…

I will be adventured into Europe somewhere for this series and used the “Goals of the challenge” as the baseline for the series and ended up in Italy..

As the Fiorentina manager, but unfortunately I was sacked after three seasons…The series can be found under the FM21 tab.

Final Words

Let me know if you enjoyed this blog. If you do accept this challenge, then please feel free to tagged me in it so I can see how you get on.

Myself, I won’t be doing this challenge this year as that I am really enjoying my save over in Denmark in a series called “The Kings of København”. If you haven’t check it out yet, then please do.

In the meantime, please feel free to leave a comment with any feedback and questions and don’t forget to check out all the other blogs on here and you can follow me on Twitter here.

See you next time and thank you for reading…

slide1-5.jpg?w=1024
Advertisements