When to rest players?

Would you rest this player (see picture)?

More information:

- It is one of my best players, 1-1.5 stars better than alternatives for the position

- He currently has "excellent/match fit" overall fitness , "high" overall risk of injury, "heavy" match load and "fresh" fatigue

- The upcoming match is a usual league. Not a less important match, not an unusually match either, middle of the road

I usually start anyone with peak overall fitness regardless. On the other side, I usually rest anyone with excellent/tired or worse overall fitness regardless. I also usually rest anyone with excellent overall fitness, heavy match load and "low" or higher fatigue. To me, these choices are no brainers.

But I am uncertain what I want to do in this situation where the player's fitness isn't great, but isn't terrible either.

Both to start the player or to bench him of course has its positives and negatives. Starting him means a stronger team and a better chance of getting a result. Benching him could be better for the team long term, preventing jadedness and/or injuries (mostly the former I think).

At the moment, I perhaps slightly lean towards starting such a player. But I am far from sure on this matter.

In any case, any input is highly welcome.

image.thumb.png.c69f7c4cb228625d9e09630c37481523.png

I always consider the match load. He played already 3 matches in the last 14 days and he covers almost 10km per game. That means you are requiring a lot of effort from who plays in that spot. Assuming that it's better to lose 2 points than your best player for the rest of the season.. I'd definitely go for the bench!

I go relatively straightforward. If I've got a game within 4 days or so I'll rest every player with <60% condition for a day, maybe two days if I'm concerned that I might not have sufficient cover if anyone isn't fully recovered. 

If I get the message saying that a player is jaded and in need of a rest, I'll play them at least once. If they still perform well then I am happy that that fatigue isn't having a negative impact on their level of performance, and keep playing them until I feel there is an easy enough game to allow them a week or so rest.