[FM15] Fortazela - I'm Your Huckleberry, the Renato Gonçalo-Cardoso Story

keane_mandles

The sun bore down on the asphalt in the car park. It was warm Spring but it was humid like Summer. Slowly but surely the Board of Directors arrived. First came the BMW then came the Porsche's finally the President distinct bright green Mercedes Benz pulled in. As if military-trained everyone exited their car in synchronicity and filed towards the Main Entrance of Castelao.

The boardroom was filled with a long dense wooden desk with chairs scattered in suggested positions. In the middle of the table was a stack of resumes. Fortaleza had finished ninth in their division last year. A shakeup was needed after four years spent in the Third Divison had taken its toll on a club that had been in First Division less than ten years ago.

At the head of the table, the President of the Club Jorge Mota stretched his fingers, cracked his knuckles and began to speak "OK, gentlemen we all know why we are here. We need a new manager. Our proud club has been floating in purgatory for too long now. Now I'm sure you all have your ideas about how we can improve the club so now is the time to voice them"

"I would like the club to focus on its youth development. I mean we don't have the best facilities but we are in the best country for talent in the world" stated Fran de Assiss who was known for only watching the Reserves and U20 games and never the first team.

Luiz Marconi was a staunch proud Brazilian "I will only accept a Brazilian to manage our team. No, if and or but's about it"

The suggestions kept on flowing from the Board. He must be well educated. He must have played the game before. He must be a He. It went on and on.

After returning from a stress-induced cigarette break Jorge returned. "You know what, nothing will ever meet everyone's criteria. we are too picky. so if we need a shake-up let's shake it up!" Jorge smeared resumes all over the table creating a mess. The other Directors looked at him perplexed. One of them thought perhaps that wasn't a normal cigarette.

"Tomorrow morning we will contact...." his hand swinging around the tablelike a claw machine "This man. Renato Gonçalo-Cardoso. He is our new Manager."

The Directors were shocked, there was nothing they could do President Mota had the final say. 

bzzzz bzzzzzz bzzzzz

"An international number? no chance get ****ed scammer" Renato slurred still very much half asleep with a hangover waiting to hit. He collapsed back on the couch burying his face in pillows.

bzzzz bzzzzzz bzzzzz 

"T.K! T.K! Do your job and answer my phone" from the floor up reached an arm to the couch.

"Hello, T.K Shutter talking" then a long pause.

"Ok. Are you sure? Ok we will be there" T.K hung up the phone stood bolt upright. He walked into the kitchen silently and started preparing coffee for the two of them.

"Hey Renato, you remember what we did last night right?" he asked, voice still gravelly from the countless cigarettes smoked last night.

"I have no idea man" Renato managed to squeeze out between groans.

"Here have these and I'll tell you what just happened" T.K handed Renato some pain meds and a fresh coffee. "So. I guess no point beating around the bush. We applied for jobs last night. Drunkenly. You wanted to transition from player to manager. That was a team from Brazil. Fortaleza. They want you to fly over and take charge!"

"Holy ****! That's a lot to process. Especially because my memories of last night stop while it was still daylight so god knows what I did" Renato said excitement not yet hitting his mind.

"HOLY ****ING ****!" it had finally hit.

It was as if the night before washed off his back. The two friends jumped up and down and screamed with excitement.

The next twelve hours became a hungover blur for Renato until all of a sudden he was strapped into an aeroplane chair on his way to Brazil. His mind began to drift back to his childhood.

Reminiscing back to his days playing football in the streets of Xique-Xique. It was a small city of forty-six thousand people, Xique-Xique was named after a type of cactus found fastidiously around the city area. He had been quite the athlete in his youth. Most days spent playing football in the streets of swimming in the São Francisco River. 

One memory suddenly appeared vividly to Renato. The first time his entrepreneurial side showed itself. He had just finished playing with his friends and was walking home, along the way his street was littered with wheelless cars on bricks and shopping carts discarded wherever they fall. Something clicked inside the young boy and the next day after school he gather his friends and told them his plan. They would put off playing football and collect all the shopping carts in their neighbourhood. It didn't sound too appealing, to begin with, but Renato explained that they would hold them hostage. Forcing the local Extra to pay the boys to return them. Renato likened it to working smart, not hard. 

He began to cycle through the various stages in his life. Signing with Vitoria when he was ten years old and played for them until he finished high school and was not offered a professional contract. He did hang around the club as a Scouting Assistant for a couple of years before studying at university, still playing amateur football and earning enough through match payments to support himself and live how he wanted. He collected vinyl records and had become a known social figure in his neighbourhood.

The problem with Renato as a football player was that he was never going to blow you away with his skill but he would work hard to make up for what he lacked and was always one of the fittest on the squad. He just wasn't good enough to play professionally in Brazil. Belize maybe but not Brazil.

After his university education at Bahia State University Renato pursued a four-year post-graduate placement at the Australian Institute of Sport far way in Canberra, Australia. To his astonishment in early 2009 he was accepted in the High Performance Coaching class. From there he was privileged enough to be involved in the Australian National Youth Program culminating in being placed as an Assistant and travelling to London with the Australian u23 teams for the 2012 Olympics. If he ever doubted his ability to manage a team he will look back to this experience for guidance. Although Australia wasn't expected to perform well they had made the quarter-finals. They had shown they were not to be taken lightly and the future is bright for Australian football, something Renato would not forget.

Throughout his time in Canberra, he had continued to play amateur football for a local team, Monaro Panthers FC. As his mind continued to wander further forward through time pain began to seep into the memories. 

Renato returned from his Olympic adventure in August and resumed his playing at Monaro Panthers FC, he was 29 years old now. He had settled into a comfy role as a holding mid. Then in a game against Canberra Croatia FC Renato planted his foot to adjust to a defensive run but he twisted his knee with it dug into the ground.

POP

He knew exactly what it was before he hit the ground. He had seen too many times before. He had torn his Anterior Cruciate Ligament (ACL). A much younger man could quickly return to previous abilities but for an almost 30-year-old it would be impossible. Renato knew this would mean whatever relic of athleticism he had would be gone. He sat his head in his hands. Distraught at not being able to do the thing he loved most.

"Ren?" Renato's partner Darcy was in the doorway. She wore a beanie and knitted gloves on her hands. "It's ok babe," she said softly as she moved towards him.

She sat next to the broken footballer put her arm around him and said "You can do whatever you want now darling. I know it's hard and for now, look at it in anger but when you realise that is futile start to look for the positives. You can take up a hobby, you have more free time, hell maybe you can take up coaching? What do you need right now?"

"I just want a hug and then scotch," Renato said enamored with the gorgeous flower that had drifted into his life and decided to stay for the last 4 years.

Renato arrived home to find his best friend TK was already waiting for him with two glasses, a bottle of Laphroaig and a packet of cigarettes.

About three glasses and five cigarettes in Renato lent back in his chair during a pause in conversation "Darcy suggested I look into managing a team now that I pretty much have to retire. I mean I reckon I could" three drink confidence swelling around his brain. "Now look if I'm going to do this I need good people I trust around me. Yes TK I am asking you to be my agent slash right hand."

TK was swaying side to side to the house music playing softly in the background "I would be happy to take you on as a client" TK said. He had been an agent now for five years with an ever-growing list of nobody on his roster. They had met at the AIS when TK was scouting a trial game for prospective clients.

"Let me do some research and see what is available" TK spoke slowly as he was doing three things at once like any good agent. Pouring a drink, grabbing his laptop all while trying to light a cigarette.

BLACK

Once Renato and TK landed in Fortaleza at the Pinto Martins Airport there was no time to waste it was straight to the stadium. Renato didn't even notice the incredible beach city he had landed in. hotels reaching for the sky less than a stone's throw from a beach lined the main boulevard. TK left to get them both set up in their apartment.

Once he arrived at the Castelao, Renato stepped outside the all-black Nissan, looked up and gazed in awe at the size of the stadium before him. This was his new home. He dropped his bags to the kit boys and introduced himself to them all. Bustling through the maze of tunnels and rooms underneath the grandstands he finally located the President's office and knocked.

"Hello, Mr Mota?" Renato's words search for an answer.

"Ah yes, Renato. You are here. We appreciate your speedy arrival. Let me show you around and introduce you to everyone" Jorge Mota was nothing but approachable and charming.

"That sounds great but if it's ok with you I would like to meet my Chief Scout as soon as possible. I want boots on the ground. You wanted to turn this team around, so do I!" Renato said intensity growing.

"Ok, let's do that later this afternoon that should be fine. As for your Chief Scout, that is Neeskens Junior. I will call him straight away to see if he is free" Jorge was happy to oblige as he could see the passion for upheaval in Renato's eyes.

The first thing Renato wanted to organize was to be the key to his success. Playing the transfer market like a fiddle. Renato wanted to be constantly searching for the best free player, the best prospects and really anybody that could help the team. The skills of his scouts were yet to be determined but Renato was a strong believer in faith.

Neeskens Junior pokes his head around the office doors and asks "You wanted to see me, sir?" He asked. "Am I the first person from the staff you are speaking with?" Pride begins to swell.

"It is true. I believe you as Chief Scout are the most important part of a club bar the players. I want to turn this club around. You are going to be a major part of that." Renato stood up and walked over to sit on his couch gesturing to Neeskens Junior to join him.

"I have to be here or with the team all the time so I am trusting you to be my eyes and ears outside. Now I've had this plan formulated for a while and I think it's pretty solid with the number of scouts we have. Firstly I want you to focus on our next opponent, I would like a report on them four days before the game. As for everyone else here is my plan" 

Renato pulled over his whiteboard and wrote down what he wanted and who he wanted to do it with.

He set had each scout an individual assignment from the following:

• General Brazil - To roam Brazil looking for players

• Hot Prospects Brazil - To search for the best young talent in Brazil

• South America Prospects - To Search the continent for the best young talent

• First Team Players Brazil - To search for players who can make an instant impact

• End of Contract players from Div 1 - To poach the best expiring contracts from top teams

• First Team Free Players - To find a steal on the free-agent market

Renato's next piece of business was a chat with Luiz da Costa, his Assistant Manager about tactics as it would be up to him to make sure they would be implemented. He walked into the side office. Half the wall was covered with a whiteboard covered in what seemed to be scribblings of a madman. There were at least 3 training bibs thrown around the room. One of them is hanging from the edge of a bookcase full of folders dated by season. 

"We need to get you a bigger office…or a personal cleaner," Renato said, amazed at the chaotic precision within the room.

"Ah look I don't mind. Would you like a coffee? I will do my best in the club." Luiz da Costa said proudly as he supported in his chair Renato realized there was a coffee machine perched on a cart behind Luiz da Costa "You wanted to talk tactics no? Tell me what you are thinking." Luiz da Costa said handing Renato a mug, steam rising into the air. He took a sip.

"At home, I always want to be attacking. I don't care who we are up against. This is our house and we play to win." Renato said with the passion of an NFL coach. "If we play attacking we can get the crowd involved early"

"You remember this is a Brazilian football league right?" Stated Luiz da Costa bluntly.

"Away from home is a different story." Renato continued ignoring Luiz da Costa's comment. "We have a fast team so we should play a counter-attacking sort of play. Hit teams quickly and stun them. If we play a bit deeper and exploit our speed I think we can pull some big victories." 

"I think I can get the boys ready with these loose parameters. What about Cup games though? Keep the two ideas we have or? Luiz da Costa trailed off.

"See to me Cup games are special. You win or you are out and what gives you the best chance of winning? Attacking! We've got nothing to lose. So what if we do? They are special occasions that pop around yearly. We can try again next year." Renato paused remembering some of the Cup games he had seen throughout his life.

"I don't want the team to ever be overawed before a match. If they can just go out and play naturally, which in most players' case is to attack, then I say let them play like they did when they were kids."

Luiz da Costa paused reflecting on the theory bestowed upon him. "Honestly Renato I think you might be onto something. These Cup games should be first and foremost fun for the boys."

"I'm glad you feel the same way as I do because honestly, I am going to be relying on you quite heavily early on. By the way, this coffee is ****ing incredible. Good thing we are going to have a meeting every day"

Edited by keane_mandles

After initial reports, the squad looked more than talented enough to keep our heads above water but only time and luck would help tell that story.

We had a strong defensive unit known around the league as some of the fastest and most agile in their respective positions but after initial testing, they lacked any pronounced jumping ability, an obvious red flag straight away.

Our midfield unit was strong but not outstanding across all facets, however, I did notice that a lot of the players in this unit were prone to mistakes or lapses in concentration, not a great feature in the engine of the team.

The attacking unit of the team again was strong without being remarkable. No pronounced weakness except that the boys struggled to simply put the ball in the net. They moved well within the team, passed well and pressed hard but just struggled to complete the job.

So to summarize we are a team of defenders who can't jump, midfielders who can't focus and attackers who can't score. Renato had never attempted anything like this before. This journey from "Hell" to "Heaven" may take longer than expected.

'We need to get stronger in all wide positions, especially full-backs' Renato wrote on a post-it and stuck it on Luiz da Costas. Hopefully, it would not get lost in the chaos.

That afternoon it was time to meet the throng of journalists wanting to meet the new manager. As this was Third Divison it wasn't a jam-packed press room but enough for Renato to still need a stress cigarette before it. He rehearsed the answers he needed to give and the key points he needed to focus on. Luiz Marconi and Mr Mota were going to be joining him which settled some nerves.

“Ah Jorge, Do you think I could quickly run something past you before we are fed to the wolves?” Renato coughed, his nerves starting to falter.

“My son, unfortunately, we do not have any time. We must walk through these doors and announce you to the world. Or the Brazilian world at least” The President spoke softly acutley aware of the nerves in his new manager. Jorge Mota put his arm around Renato and whispered something in Renato’s ear.

“Sometimes its hell, getting to heaven”

Instantly the nerves dissipated from Renato’s body. He understood exactly what that phrase meant. He knew Jorge Mota was going to be his biggest supporter.

The introductory press conference offered the standard questions from the buzzing hive of journalists. Renato took the time to give each journalist a question and made sure he gave the proper Press Manager provided answers.

Once the questions had stopped Renato called the journalists back to their seats. He had an announcement to make regarding the club.

"One of my first acts as Manager of this Club is to institute a new series of awards, to be given to players at the end of the season. These awards recognize the first three Presidents of the football club. Who without them I would not be here today." He began.

"Firstly the Alcides Santos Medal, named after the Founder and first President of the Club. It will be awarded to the player with the most votes polled at the end of the season. Votes will be awarded 5,4,3,2,1 from best to fifth-best in every match played regardless of the result.

Secondly, the Joao Gentil Medal, named after the club's second President. It will be given to the player at the end of the year with the most max vote games player.

Lastly, the Joao Cesar Medal, named after the club's third President. It will be awarded to the player who receives votes in the most games throughout a season." The young manager felt confident as a Manager. He was instituting change already. Although there was the issue of not clearing with the Directors before the press conference.

Renato also announced that moving forward Julio Manso, his Director of Football Operations and Valdeson Feitosa, his Head of Youth Development will handle the first team and youth team transfers respectively whilst he has sufficient data from his scouts.

Ângelo - 19 Winger - depth signing - free
Gabriel - 17 AttMid - prospect future - free
Leonardo Coca - 17 DC - prospect signing - free
Marcão - 19 DC - First team competition - free

Julio Manso had made moves in collaboration with Valdeson Feitosa to strengthen the depth in our squad. All of the players signed here Renato knew were going to be playing Reserves football for now. Perhaps with the right guidance, they could be starting in the First Team one day. For Renato, the best part of these deals was they didn't cost a dime. He had no transfer budget to work with. Which was fine. it allowed his delegates to wheel and deal. His transfer delegates were exactly in line with the philosophies he wanted to work within. This was becoming a better fit every day.

It had only been three weeks since Renato had signed his contract and for the first game in a hopefully storied career, Fortaleza was scheduled to compete in the "Brazilian Ceará State Championship" against Icasa. Renato knew the Fortaleza had been highly successful in this tournament having won it 29 times in its history.

Renato realized there must be a certain expectation of the team in this Championship, they had won it nine times since the turn of the Millenium. It seemed in every hallway of their stadium there was a different year Ceará State Championship trophy.

The team had been working hard participating in two friendly matches to serve as a warm-up and to at least try Renato’s tactics once before a proper match. The training was difficult for the first couple of weeks. New people, new quirks, new personalities can be difficult for a Manager sometimes but Renato perceived. He started by recommending each player a book to read before the start of the season.

Often after a hard day's training Renato would retire to his office with a six-pack of cold beer and listen to one of his records. They were usually a good reflection of his mood. For example, the first week went like this:

Monday - Nirvana - Nevermind

Tuesday - The Smiths - The Queen is Dead

Wednesday - Elliot Smith - Either/Or

Thursday - OutKast - Aquemini

Friday - Joni Mitchell - Blue

Saturday - The Beatles - Revolver

Sunday - Talking Heads - Remain in Light

These nights helped immensely. Renato didn't know anybody well enough yet to invite them to this nightly ritual yet the time alone was never wasted.

There were definite teething problems in the friendly against CSA. The team lost 1-0 with nobody quite getting the new Manager's tactics. They had only been working on it for two weeks now. There was no way this team would be ready for a tournament.

The second friendly showed signs of hope with Fortaleza pulling off a gritty 2-1 victory over Potiguar. Both goals came from exciting free-flowing football.

Next up was the debut of Renato. He was a brand new manager who has been at the club less than a month, trying to implement new ideas, barely knowing his players let alone where the stadium is and now he has to manage in a tournament where he is expected to at least reach the Final.

Here goes nothing!

Edited by neilhoskins77
Images removed as per FM Stories rules

Luiz da Costa strolled into the Reception area of the Castelao. It was littered with trophy cases, filled with several different metallic shapes. Across the back wall was a bronze bust of each former President of Fortazela with a plaque commemorating their tenure. Luiz walked past the busts to the elevators. He thought it was a bit odd of Renato to call for him to stay late. Especially on the eve of his first game as manager.

Exiting on the third floor Luiz saw the open glass doors and walked into the Manager's office.

Spacious was the first thought that comes to mind. One side of the room was taken up mostly by a bookcase. It was filled end to end with vinyl records. The only space on the wall, not the bookcase was for a small cart holding the turntable and amplifier. Luiz noticed speakers in each corner of the room. In the middle of the room sat a table. Thick legged with a football pitch mapped on it. Diagrams scattered the pitch. Behind the table, Renato was sitting already with a beer in hand.

"Come Luiz. Sit." Renato ushered Luiz into a chair "Take a load off" as he passes a beer to Luiz. 

Renato continued "This is what I do each night before I go home. I have a drink and listen to an album. It helps me balance. I haven't invited anyone to this ritual before. Boy, do I have a treat for you tonight Luiz. Have you ever heard of Rage Against The Machine? Well, we are going to listen to their first album. It's a classic"

"I have never heard of them before. Are they angry?" Luiz asked clueless at the onslaught his ears were about to experience.

Once the album had finished the conversation did not. 

"Did you play that album because you are angry Renato?" Luiz squirmed as he asked the obvious question.

"It's not the anger that I am feeling Luiz far from it. I am giddy. That album has always felt angsty. I just want to play this game. Once I get one under my belt I will be set" Renato stood from his chair and began pacing "Do you mind if I smoke in here?"

The next morning the team bus arrived at 5:30 am for a 6 am sharp departure. None of the team was impressed until they saw Luiz greeting them with a coffee. It was going to be a seven-hour journey. Some players would nap. Some players would watch a film. Some players would gamble in the back of the bus. Renato would be in his world.

This was his time to focus and he already had his trip planned out. He told the team to bring any issues up with Luiz as he needed to do his own thing. Renato had set a playlist of albums to listen to on his iPod Classic. First was The Prodigy, The Fat of the Land, a rave classic and perfect match to Renato's nervous energy. Next in the queue was Kanye West, Yeezus, truthfully Renato was still reeling from his previous album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy but this had the chaotic energy that matched with Renato's mind. Last in the queue was Black Sabbath, Paranoid, a classic and much beloved by Renato. This was like home to him. He still remembered hearing the song for the first time. His dad played it on the way to his first football game. It seemed fitting to round off with that before drifting off before arrival.

The game time was 16:00; the team bus pulled up at 13:03. Renato stood up as soon as the bus stopped. Luiz took this as his cue and let out an ear-splitting wolf whistle. Immediately everyone's attention was on the Manager.

"Ladies and Gents can I firstly get a round of applause for Luiz. I don't think I would be here spiritually without that coffee this morning" there was sparse applause throughout the bus.

"I would also like to say I don't care what happens today. I don't care what's going to happen in the future. Thank you for this. I hope I make you proud." he trailed off struggling to hide his emotions from the team "If you need a massage or strapping get that done quickly so we can get out there and get loose"

First off where the equipment managers, everyone slowly filed off. They seemed to all start stretching in synchronicity when hit with the sun's rays. The next three hours were a blur. Renato had to get Luiz to run the warm-up. His mind was too scattered to focus. He made sure to reinforce to his right-hand man that they would be using the attacking tactic this evening.

"It's my first game dammit! I want my team to win. I want to score goals! I want the crowd to love me instantly!"

"Ok boss let's make it happen," Luiz said unsure how to respond to the manic mood shifts of his boss.

Hi Keane Mandles. This is a great start, and it's great to have you with us on FMS.

However, I just need to ask you familiarise yourself with the FMS House rules, particularly regarding the use of pictures/images/screenshots.

I have removed the ones that you have posted in your last few updates. You'll find the House Rules linked into the end of this post for you.

Keep up the good work.

The players were standing in the tunnel ready to enter the playing arena. There was a constant hum of noise. Thousands of conversations are all happening at the same time. Renato walked past his team. Shaking each hand and providing the last gleam of motivation. As he walked along the manicured grass to the dugout he stopped. Renato did a slow spin and exhaled. Luiz interrupted the serenity with a raucous congratulatory pat on the back.

The teams posed for commemorative photos as Renato and his opposite Manager, Vladimir de Jesus shook hands. Fortaleza had focussed on Teamwork during the warm-up. Working on linking plays and quick ball recycling. After pleasantries, Renato took declined a seat in the dugout. He was too nervous. He had to be able to move. 

"LET'S GO BOYS!" he yelled, clapping vigorously. If any player needed any more motivation that was sure to hit the spot he thought.

Everyone moved into positions. The referee checked his watch. There was an instant hush over the stadium as the kick-off started the game.

'11 - Icasa wins a free kick outside the penalty box, Robert takes it. The free-kick sails over Fortaleza's heads. Dieyson rises and redirects to Nubio Flavio. He sends Fortaleza GK Deola the wrong way with his header and scores.

1-0

"****, ****, ****!" Renato puts his head to his hands.

"It's ok Ren" Luiz offers from the dugout "It's early"

Renato takes a deep breath. "Focus boys! Don't let it get to you!" 

'31 - Fortaleza has an attacking throw-in that lands in Lucio Maranhao's feet. He finds Hudson streaking past on his right but he loses the ball. Icasa's goalkeeper clears straight to Marcao. He passes straight through the centre of the ground to Fernandinho. He finds Maranhao in space. He shoots but it goes over the bar.

"That's it, boys! Good play!" Renato yelled.

"We look good" Luiz mentioned 

"I feel like something is going to happen. Good or bad" Renato said looking at the sky in hopes of a sign.

'34 - Wanderson dives into a horrendous tackle. To make matters worse he is already on a yellow. Red Card. Fortaleza is down to ten men.

"Are you serious? Is this happening!" Renato was beside himself. This was already a bad start to life, now this.

"Look we need to stay focused," Luiz said frantically scrambling for fixes at left-back. "Let's move Fernandinho to left-back. We may lose some midfield drive but it's worth it for a sold defence"

"I agree Luiz. I would rather keep it as is or win than make things worse. Fernandinho...LB, LB, LB" Renato beckoned from the touchline. His arms waving above his head.

HALF TIME

Both teams head towards their dressing room. Renato is last into the changeroom. He walks in through the doorway to the smell of man sweat and grass. He silently walks over to the stereo. Scrolling through his phone he finds what he is looking for. Electric guitar deafens the team. The bashing of drums reverberates through the changeroom.

"This lads is Metallica. Specifically, Seek and Destroy. It's everything I want from you lot in the second half. It's fast. It's anger. It takes no prisoners. I'm not happy with that **** I just saw out there. We should be winning" Renato spoke an intensity only matched by the music playing. By the end of the song the entire team was screaming the refrain

"SEARCHINGGGG...SEEK AND DESTROY!"

"I don't know if you planned this or not but I bet Icasa is a little bit intimidated right now" Luiz mentioned to Renato as they made their way back onto the pitch.

'55 - Correa plays a beautiful through the centre to Maranhao. He shimmies past one defender. The defence is scrambling. He finds Samuel to his left who send in a cross. Hudson is there to bury it!

1-1  G: Hudson A: Samuel

"Yes! Yes! Yes! Get the **** in boys!" Renato is jubilant on the sideline. The entire staff begin celebrating wildly. 

"Keep pushing boys! Let's get another" Luiz reminded the team that the job isn't over yet.

'56 - Substituitons: 

Diogo -> Regis -> D Sobralense ->

Cearense <- Correa <- Hudson <-

"Could someone please explain to me why we have taken off our goalscorer?" Renato quizzed his staff his volume rising after each word. 

His Head Physio Sandro Francisco answered cooly "Ren we subbed off our most tired players. We have a game in two days. I'm sure you want the boys as fresh as possible"

'59 - Marcao misses a header on the last line of defence and almost gifts a goal to Icasa

"Jesus boys! Focus!" Renato snapped, he was dying for a cigarette.

'68 - Sobralense wins a free header in midfield. It falls to Sidney who lays a perfect through ball to Maranhao. He dribbles into the box, takes a shot but sends it over.

"Oh what a ball! Yes! Yes! AHHHHHH!" Renato needed to get off this emotional rollercoaster ASAP.

'76 - Samuel cuts across the top of the penalty box and finds Maranhao. One-touch pass to Sobralense who cuts inside to create space. He finds Maranhao for his second involvement. He shoots from the penalty spot. Past the outstretched hand of the goalkeeper. Into the bottom right-hand corner.

1-2  G: L Maranhao A: Sobralense

"OH MY GOD! OH MY GOD!" Renato runs to Luiz and hugs him so powerful it lifts the Assistant off the ground. It is pandemonium in the dugout. Even a sullen Wanderson cracks a smile

"Stay on top of this lads! It's not over just yet" Luiz again reminded the team to focus.

'88 - Anderson Rosa from Icasa slides in on Diogo whilst on a yellow. Red Card. Both teams are down to ten men.

"Well, that's deserved" Renato sneered under his breath "Level playing field now let's go, boys!"

'90 Full Time 

Icasa 1

Fortaleza 2

Alcides Santos Medal Votes:

5: Fernandinho

4: Maranhao

3: Hudson

2: Sidney

1: Regis

After the final whistle, it was onto press commitments which for once Renato was excited about. He touted his success humbly. He explained the full spectrum of emotions he went through during his first game almost on a loop. Every journalist wanted a piece for their article.

Everyone piled on to the bus at 8:00 pm. Although it was a seven-hour drive Renato doubted anybody would rest. Normally Renato would have listened to his "Wind Down" playlist but tonight he would celebrate with the team. His nomination for music was Kanye West & Jay Z, Watch the Throne.

Long after the last player's car had left Renato had the Castelao all to himself. He walked into his office, collected a beer and put on a record. Tonight was a celebration, it called for Gun's N Rose's. He sifted through his collection and found Appetite for Destruction. Renato placed the record on his turntable, turned up the volume and exhaled. He exhaled harder than he had before. '**** I miss Darcy' he thought.

Renato fell asleep in his office that night.

There were only two days between the first and second match. Renato had already decided on some changes for the next game. Instead of attacking like the team was at home, the cunning manager shifted his squad's focus to his second tactic. Based on a more possession-based, counter-attacking game. Some similarities should make it an easy transition for the players. The team were used to having only a lone striker and a solid four defensive unit. These were common traits between the two tactics.

Renato had allowed the first day in the break to be for recovery. Lord knows he needed it as much as the team. Renato had been startled awake by the young Equipment Assistant Fernando looking sheepishly over him

"Sir? Are you alright?" Fernando enquired.

"Oh god! What time is it?" Renato snapped, unaware of his surroundings.

"It's, its 7 am, sir," Fernando said backing out of the room

"Oh! That's not too bad. Oh, my back is sore. I should not have fallen asleep here. Look I'm sorry about before. For snapping at you Fernando. You scared the **** out of me. Come let us go to Luiz's room and I'll try and make us a coffee" Renato said genuinely interested in Fernando.

"Are you sure sir?"

"Please stop calling me sir. Everyone calls me Ren"

Renato stood up and patted the imaginary dust off his trousers. He put his arm over Fernando's shoulder guiding him out the door towards Luiz's office. As they approached Luiz's office door, the man himself came from the opposite direction. All Renato needed to do was shoot a look, Luiz knew to start grinding beans as soon as he enter his office. Once the intricate process was complete each man took a small taste before Renato piped up.

"Fernando, my boy what sort of music do you like? We will drink these in my office and listen to some music"

"If I am honest Ren I'm embarrassed to share my taste," Fernando said the moment sitting for a second "Beyonce is my favourite"

"Fernando. Nothing to be embarrassed about. I have her album from last year. It's an incredible body of work from an incredible woman. If we are being honest I have loved her since she was in Destiny's Child! Now come! Let's enjoy this queen" Renato had made the young Equipment Assistant feel like he was floating.

Once the record was playing Luiz and Renato got down to planning the next two days. Fernando knew not to interrupt but was amazed at how well the Manager and Assistant Manager worked together.

"Luiz, when the boys come in today, I want you to focus on recovery for the first half of the day. Ice baths, massages hell get them to do yoga. Then once the medical staff is finished with the wounded we can do a simple walkthrough of the counter-attacking tactic." Renato said tapping his foot along to the velvet RnB beat.

"Is it complicated? Nothing is stupider to me than complicated defence. Just ****ing tackle 'em, keep their possession wide and focus on quick ball movement when you get it" Luiz declared.

"Honestly friend, that's pretty much it. KISS. It's something I learnt as a travelling salesman in my youth. Keep. It. Simple. Stupid. As far as I'm concerned, as long as we keep the ball away from our goals, we should be able to hit Maranguape on the counter. We have the pace. Maybe not the technical skills. We can work on that tomorrow." Renato trailed off.

The team all arrived and reported to the medical staff. Thankfully Renato received an initial report showing a clean bill of health for the entire first team. Head Physio Nunes Francisco led the players through a stretching session followed by ice baths and massages.

At 3 pm Luiz let out his signature wolf whistle. Immediately the team appeared on the training pitch, as if out of thin air.

"Firstly boys, can I say fantastic performance yesterday. To come back like that, down a man shows character. I love that. We are going to do a light walkthrough for an hour or so. Then you can all go back to your lives"

"Alright, let's get yesterday's team lined up but drop the wingers back to left and right mid". Luiz barked as the team ran out onto the pitch. The team went through the basics of the tactic.

Clearing it wide. Attacking the space. Keeping defensive shape. The instructions seemed clear to the players.

The next day was more intricate details of the new tactic. Exploiting the flanks specifically when there is a quick turnover on a wing. Working with the strikers, focussing on preventing the opposition goalkeeper from giving a quick release to his defence. Renato even pulled all available players from Reserves and u/20s to assist the First Team in working on their defensive press.

After training Renato was approached by Luiz. "So it is a short trip to Maranguape. Just under an hour" the Assistant Manager announced.

"Tell the boys I want them here at 4:30 pm for a 5 pm departure. See you tomorrow Luiz"

Outside the main office of Castelao was pandemonium at 4:50 pm the next day. Luiz ran around checking every list he had at his disposal. The players were already on board when Renato stepped on. He had everything he needed for the short trip a coffee and his headphones.

"What's the playlist for today then eh Ren?" Kleudson Ferraz enquired

"Today Ferraz I'm going with the classic Jimi Hendrix, Are You Experienced. I'm a real sucker for a guitar solo" Renato said lying through his teeth. 

Truthfully he was still feeling quite emotional about Darcy. He was going to listen to Frank Ocean's epic Channel Orange. Simply submerge himself for the bus ride and surface when it was game time when he was truly needed.

Renato made sure of a hasty exit from the team bus. Nothing worse than dealing with the press at any time. Let alone away from home. Once in the Away Team dressing room Luiz and Renato went over the finer aspects of the tactic once more. 

"Make sure Dealo remembers to play the ball out only to the full-backs. Maranguape play very central." Renato insisted to Luiz, "I want the wingers to dribble with it more. Try and make something happen. Don't forget to tell the boys playing centre-back to stay tight to their men. No slip-ups"

"No problem Ren, I'll pull them aside during warm-up and let them know the specifics.." Luiz was interrupted by a howling guitar, followed by bellowing drums and finally even more guitar. It had startled the Assistant but Renato knew exactly what it was.

"Now boys after half time found more Metallica to get us pumped up" championed Regis.

Soon the lockers were shaking and the entire team screaming the refrain. Renato began to think he was on to something with this whole music thing.

At the end of the team warm-up, Renato pulled the team together one last time,

"I want you all to really get stuck in tonight. As long as we stay focused I don't give two ***** about fouls or yellow cards" the authority in Renato's voice finally began to show.

Once players and managers were in their positions the referee lets play commence.

"Ah, it's been too quiet so far" Renato complained within ten minutes of the opening whistle.

"Trust me that is a good thing" chuckled Luiz

'14 - Diogo is on the right-hand touchline, passes to Hudson. Who has found his way into the penalty box. He centres the ball to Cearense, he shoots, left-hand side. It's saved. Samuel has the quickest reactions and is first to it. He decides to centre it straight to a Maranguape centre back who clears the ball out of danger.

"Oh that was close Ren, that was close. See this counter-attack works really well when we move it with pace" Luiz said.

'15 - Diogo again finds possession in centre field and passes to Samuel who charges left, creating a hole inside the penalty box. Samuel crosses the ball to the far post. Hudson is free and taps in. GOAL.

0-1 G: Hudson A: Samuel

"YES! YES! YES! That's it!" Renato screamed for joy. He could start to see his vision unfold.

"ATTA BOY SAMUEL! Just like we planned!" Luiz yelled to his winger from the dugout.

As the teams retreated for half time Renato strode in quietly nervous. His team had plenty of possession but couldn't break the game open. While the players were together he addressed them with a simple message 

"We are playing really well. Lots of possession. An early goal. It's really good, especially playing away. Fifth gear boys. We seem to be in cruise control. Let's crank it up. Be smart first but let's really put some pressure on"

'55 - Samuel has the ball cutting across the middle of the pitch. He passes to Diogo who dribbles into the penalty box. Spins and sucks three Maranguape defenders near him with his gravity. He looks right and finds Hudson for finds the back of the net. GOAL.

0-2 G: Hudson A: Diogo

"GET IN HUDSON! GREAT WORK" Renato encouraged from the sideline.

"Did you see that spin move, holy ****!" Luiz said in awe of the move from Diogo.

"Yer...Wow!" Renato said rubbing his head in amazement, he switched straight back to game mode, pleading with his unit "Concentrate! We can't afford to fall asleep now!"

'56 - SUBS: 

On: Regis Off: Cearense

On: Fernandinho Off: Samuel

On: Sobralense Off: Diogo

"Look Ren these boys have played their hearts out today. Our replacements won't see much quality drop. I think we should be able to push on" Luiz explained his decisions to Renato.

"That's fine. I want them as fresh as possible for the next match" Renato agreed.

'57 - "Renato, it's Assuério. He's hurt. From the looks of it won't be able to play on. I'm going to need to take him downstairs and check it out," said Sandro Franciso. He ran past Renato with his medic bag bouncing on his shoulder.

'84 - Regis wins the ball with a beautiful tackle in our defensive half. He passes the ball to Hudson. On a hat-trick. Hudson looks inside and finds Sobralense, who is ahead of the pack. Sobralense holds up play for a second, then moves forward. He plays a high through ball to the streaking players running past him. Fernandinho gathers and sidesteps a Maranguape defender and blats the ball across the goalkeeper's outstretched hand. GOAL.

0-3 G:Fernandinho A: Sobralense

"WAY TO FINISH TEAM!" Luiz and the staff could hear the relief in Renato's joyous screams.

'90 Full Time

Maranguape - 0

Fortaleza - 3

5: Hudson

4: Fernadinho

3: Auremir

2: Diogo

1: Oliveira

Renato quickly rushed into the dressing room. Sending Luiz to do his dirty work with the hounds of the press. The team was much more subdued in their celebrations. More than likely exhausted after the effort put in. Renato knew exactly how to change that. On the bus home, he took over the sound system and put on a classic. Graduation by Kanye West. Sure enough, when the team bus arrived back home less than an hour later the entire team was singing the infamous song "Stronger"

Renato retired to his office seeking the calm that came with familiarity. He skipped the fridge and went straight for the cart. Rummaging around for ice cubes Renato finally settled on what to listen to. What was going to take him to the clouds tonight?  Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. Perfect. Renato had a special semi-opaque blue vinyl of this particular album. He had played it so much it skipped in parts but he didn't mind. Renato poured a glass full with three fingers of Novo Fongo Tanager away he went, undisturbed until he once again slept in his office. At least this time Luiz saw and lay a sports coat over his friend.

Edited by keane_mandles

"Mr Ren, sir, I have your coffee here fresh from Luiz. He suggested I wake you for the meeting." 

Fernando was standing in the doorway. A blinding albeit blurry outline of light outlined him as Renato sat up and began to rub his eyes. Within seconds the aroma of his coffee hit his nostrils. He exhaled deeply, gesturing for his coffee without a word. 

"Fernando, can you pass me that yellow notepad on the desk" Renato's words came out slow and deliberate. It was as fast as he could talk, still getting himself adjusted to the morning. "Alright, Let's go!" Renato was trying to psyche himself up for the day. On the first attempt, his legs didn't get the message. "I said 'Alright, let's go!'" he tried once more. Success. 

Almost as soon as Renato finally stood Luiz walked into his office.

"Were you waiting outside Luiz?" Renato questioned

"I mean yes. You just looked so peaceful I didn't want to wake you. So I sent Fernando." Luiz was honest. Renato admired that quality in him. He was sure Luiz will never turn into a "Yes Man".

"That's a smart idea, my friend. Extra credit as well for having the coffee ready to go" Renato walked to his desk and maneuvered his chair to comfort. "So this week I think we should keep our focus balanced. We have played very well so far. We just need to make sure the boys don't get too big-headed"

"Maybe a bit more defensive work than usual Ren, I mean we are playing away. We do not want to be loose and undisciplined defensively" Luiz made a fair point.

"That's a good point Luiz, look let's run with that for the next couple of days. who knows maybe three in a row huh?" a touch of arrogance finally piercing the tone in Renato's voice. "Alright, I have to go see Julio now so I'll miss the first parts of training. Just keep it simple for today."

"I thought you were going to call me stupid for a second there" chuckled Luiz as he walked towards the training rooms.

"Hey Julio, Where are you? I'm at your office for our meeting" Renato said down the phone.

"Oh ****, I forgot to send a morning memo, Look just come to the car park," Julio sounded almost giddy over the phone.

"Sure, I'll be there shortly. I need another coffee first"

After his mandatory refueling pit stop Renato walked through the double doors and into the sunshine to see Julio standing there cool as ever, he was slick. New shades, new shoes and a nice new BMW parked in his reserved space. It took Renato a second to adjust to the sunlight, when he finally did he noticed a second figure standing next to the BMW in the parking space.

"Ah yes, Renato, I would like to introduce you to Marquinhos do Sul. I have organised for him to join your squad. I was just going to walk him to the dressing room and introduce him to the team. Please, do come with" Julio although not forceful would not accept no for an answer.

After the introductions, Renato, Luiz and Julio sat down to discuss their latest signing.

"Look he is nineteen years old. He has youthful exuberance. He has mountains of pace. I mean with the ball and without the ball. Speed will always be welcome on a football pitch, right Renato?" Julio asked.

"Yes, Julio that's correct. Now I do like that he has been at Vasco since a young man. That's a great team and an even better organization. They make sure you know the fundamentals of teamwork. Work hard on the pitch and know your role" Renato continued grazing over Do Sul's information.

"Ren if I'm honest this kid fits straight into a hole we have. Back up striker. Julio, you have done great" Luiz was ecstatic. His mind already racing at the partnership between Maranhao and Do Sul.

"I don't think we need to change much about our playing style to make him fit in. Let's get him to work on his strength to go along with that speed and I reckon he is a chance to make the team in a couple of days. Thank you again Julio for this. He seems like a good fit for us." Renato said with an honest appreciation for Julio. The sheer thought of dealing with transfers whilst learning how to manage a club was overwhelming for Renato. He was glad to see his hiring choices bearing early fruit.

Over the next two days Renato made sure to fine-tune his counter-attacking tactic. The team had exploited the flanks beautifully in the previous game. Providing the overlapping run needed for the tactic to be a success. Renato had noticed that the defensive unit had been a bit rushed on their distribution. On the final day of training, he focused solely on the team working the ball into good areas rather than forcing it into the same areas and hoping for the best. 

It was a slow session for Renato but after he retired to his office and sifted through his records. It was a particularly dark evening, almost begging for jazz music. All Renato felt like doing was to smoke his cigarettes alone and think. Feeling introspective he went straight to Portishead - Dummy and pressed play. Away he went. Floating once more.

Renato pulled into the car park of the Castelao, he could feel the sense of excitement through his car windows. The team had won their two first matches, albeit with some struggles. What lay ahead today would be as tough a challenge the team had faced yet. First was the travel. Five hours on a bus is not ideal for anybody let alone professional athletes. Second again they had to play away from the fabled Castelao. No matter what you do in life doing anything away from your comfort space is always a task.

All morning Renato had been playing a band he heard whilst Down Under. They were called Tame Impala. He had their album Lonerism on repeat all morning. It was just a fun album full of fuzz and hooks. It fit the exact mood Renato had been feeling all morning. As soon as he walked over to the team bus Luiz greeted him with the standard coffee, this time in a reusable cup.

"Here you go, Ren. I hope you like it. These beans I bought from my local market this morning. Talk about fresh" Luiz was beaming, he had had a fantastic morning as well.

The team slowly filtered through the gates. Each player stops to chat and sign autographs with the smattering of fans waiting to see their heroes. Once the final player filed into the bus Luiz and Renato piled in. Renato, Luiz greeted him with the standard coffee stood at the front of the bus and blocked his ears, waiting for the inevitable Luiz whistle.

"Ok boys, we got five hours before we get to the stadium. Relax. Unwind. We will have plenty of time to get ready when we arrive" Renato made sure to put his headphones around his neck whilst talking. He wanted everyone to know he would be unreachable for this bus ride. The playlist had already been sorted. He would start with the thumping Rustie - Glass Swords to keep his energy high and his brain active. Renato wanted to fine-tune some things in his mind. After that it would be time to unwind, five hours is a long time so it was onto the soft indie of The XX - The XX. It was one of the best albums he had heard in years. He had spent many nights in Canberra with Darcy listening to this album. 

The entire team seemed to be already working like a well-oiled machine. There was nothing that needed to be said when the bus pulled up. The players and medical staff filed out. Medical staff organised their supplies and the team went straight out onto the pitch to stretch their legs and get a feel for it. Once everyone was ready, Luiz addressed the team.

"For warm-up I want us to focus on our positioning. We have been great so far but I have noticed a few things we can fix-up. Other than that boys let's get out their show some zip early and get another dub!"

Warm-up went without a hitch. There was still that sense of excitement all around the team as the referee blew his whistle to begin the match. No Fortaleza player was standing still when the ball was played forward, signalling play's start.

'14 - "This is good boys! Keep it going!" Renato cheered from the sidelines He turned to Luiz, "We just need one break to go our way, I can feel it!"

'29 - Samuel wins the ball strongly in his half. He passes to the running Fernandinho who streaks over halfway. He has no options forward so looks back to Samuel who has kept running. Samuel lets go of a cross early. Maranhao rises and heads the ball straight into the crossbar. The rebound falls straight onto his foot and over the goal line. GOAL

0-1 G: Maranhao

"YES! YES! YES! Well deserved boys! SAMUEL THAT'S YOUR GOAL!" Renato was ecstatic on the sideline.

"That was a lucky bounce Ren, just what you asked for!" Luiz was dumbfounded at what had just happened.

'39 - Sao Bendito player has the ball centre field. Diogo lunges towards him and clatters him with both legs. RED CARD.

"FOR ****S SAKE DIOGO! AHHHHHHHH! COME ON!" Renato was apoplectic. As Diogo walked past his manager his head sunk low not wanting to make eye contact. Luiz put his arm around him and said something that seemed to appease the centre back. 

"He knew it as soon as he lunged Ren, go easy," Luiz said.

HT - The team raced into the change rooms and went straight to Diogo. He was beside himself. Each player offered their own kind words to the broken centre back. Then Renato walked in and silence fell over the room.

"Diogo. Chin up! We are fine" Renato had his hands extended in front of him addressing the team "Look we have played the last two games at some stage down a man and we won them both! We know how to fix the shape, Fernandinho you move to left-back and we play three through middle now. Boys were winning. I'm wrapped with that if we keep playing as we are I believe we can win"

There was abated silence until Diogo rose from his stall. He took a look around his team took a deep breath in and screamed "SEARCHIIIING! SEEK AND DESTROY, SEARCHIIIING! SEEK AND DESTROY, SEARCHIIIING! SEEK AND DESTROY" within ten seconds the entire mood shifted and everyone was jumping up and down screaming.

'55 SUBS

On: du Sol Off: Maranaho, Luiz greeted him with the standard coffee

On: Correa Off: Sobralense

On: Auremir Off: Fernandinho

"We look pretty solid considering. I want to give the new boy a shot. He is fast and I reckon he could sneak one today" Luiz explained to Renato

"What about Fernandinho. Why him?" Renato questioned

"He has given his all today especially considering the move from winger to full back. We are going to need him fresh for the next game considering we are going to be down a defender" Luiz had a sound rationale for the moves.

'57 - Correa takes a corner that falls directly to Regis who quickly swings his foot through the ball only for it to be blocked by a defender. That block goes straight to Auremir and the full-back puts his foot through the ball only for a defender to through his leg at it, deflecting it out for a corner.

"OH! That was so close. GOOD PRESSURE BOYS!" Renato encouraged from the coach's box "Wow Luiz talk about instant impact. Good ****!"

'90 Full Time

Sao Bendito - 0

Fortaleza - 1

5: Sidney

4: Wanderson

3: Lima

2: Maranhao

1: Samuel

The scenes in the changerooms after the game were restrained. The team still had a five-hour bus ride home and wouldn't arrive in their beds until well after midnight. Once the bus started moving, it took ten minutes before eyes masks covered most players' faces. There were a couple in the back Sidney and Samuel who were watching a movie. Correa had taken a spot up front to elevate his leg, he had taken a knock to the thigh before full time and needed to ice his hamstrings.

Once he returned home Renato walked straight into his bedroom and collapsed on his bed. Mentally exhausted. Being this happy all day was more tiring than he remembered.