Waking A Sleeping Giant - Tennis Borussia Berlin FC

davysrfc

As In landed in Berlin Schönefeld Airport on that June morning, and boarded the S9 train to Alexanderplatz, I couldn't help but notice the amount of graffiti around the tracks. From my knowledge of German football and it's fans I could see that there was 2 teams who were well supported in this city. Hertha and Union initials and messages dominated the walls, as you would expect with them being in the top tiers of German football. But they are not what I am here for. After completing some coaching badges during the course of my studies, I decided to take some time out. The wind of travel blew through my ears and I headed for Berlin to gain some fond memories, and whilst I was looking for a team to go and see outside of the big two of the city, I never expected what was ahead of me. I found teams like BFC Dynamo, Viktoria 1889 and Berliner AK07 whom peaked my ground hopping interest, but I stumbled upon the website of Tennis Borussia Berlin. Borussia have some history in German football, having reached as high as the 2nd division in the 1990s, but financially they struggled and have dropped (with the structure changes) to the 6th tier. But they have loyal fans who have followed through everything. 

The first news item on the website was that the team was looking for a new manager. That night, after a few cordials, I decided to send a CV in, for the laugh, sure I was heading over anyway in September. I was awoken the next day (Very early for the tender head) to a call from a German number, which I presumed was some bar I contacted to get some work while I visited. I answered and was greeted by Henning Klinsmann. He introduced himself as the chairman of Tennis Borussia. I immediately hung up. How did this fella get my number? I checked the phone again and seen the 4 draft emails I had made before sending the final one. "OH FOR F*** SAKE" 

The phone rings again and I answer. 

"Mr. Doyle? It is Henning Klinsmann again, is there a problem with the line?"

"Sorry about that, I dropped the phone, How are ya?"

"I am fine Mr. Doyle, I received your email this morning. Is it normal to send applications at 3am in Ireland?"

"I'm very sorry Mr. Klinsmann, I was...................very...............................excited to see the oppurtunity to manage a team like TeBe"

"Oh really, well that is good news"

"Yes?"

"Yes, we are going to offer you an interview" 

I looked out the window and checked that there was no pigs floating gracefully outside my window. 

"I'll be there"

"We will email you details soon, oh and please do not respond at 3am again!"

I gathered my thoughts. Is this a wind up? Before getting on and booking early flights, I decided to wait for the email, to make sure it was real. *bing*. An email arrived almost immediately, h.klinsmann@tebe.de  This is the real deal. Best get prepared.  

The flights were booked and now here I am, in the shadow of the Olympiastadion, wondering how I'm getting through this and not looking stupid.  Just be yourself. And for Gods sake, give up the gargle.

Archived