FM2017 - Newcastle United - We are a big club!

Jenkaldo

Episode 40: The Greatest Match of FM17 Ever!

It may look like a clickbait title, but it definitely isn't! This episode has, without doubt, the most exciting game of Football Manager I've ever played. My stress levels go absolutely through the roof!

After getting a surprise result in the first leg, things quickly fall apart in the second, before all hell breaks loose! If you enjoy this FM17 video, please drop a like and subscribe for the finale tomorrow!

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Episode 41: Three Cup Finals in Six Days!

This season finale has absolutely everything! A final day scramble for fourth place and two cup finals - all in a six day window! The dream of the treble continues, but the surprise contention for a champions league place has made this even more difficult.

If you enjoy the end to this season, please subscribe for more!

Episode 42: Brexit!

It's the start of our Fifth season with Newcastle and there's some big changes in pre-season. It's not so much the players as the club itself. Mike Ashley has gone! Finally! Newcastle fans rejoice!

Unfortunately there's no new billionaire owner and the new guy has 'pumped' £1m into the club, but at least the club can return to normal. We also had Brexit happen, so watch the video to see how it impacts the game!

Episode 43: Making the Champions League!

Our fifth season with Newcastle gets off to a solid start with five wins in our first six games across all competitions. We have a very tough draw handed to us in order to make the group stage of the Champions League, but the strength of our team shows through.

The League is definitely the priority for me this season, so let me know if you think we should go after the EFL Cup. I'm a big fan of the FA Cup so I'll always want to win that, but the EFL can really choke up the fixture list.

Episode 44: A Very Different Start.

Last season we started off with a phenomenal winning streak that helped us secure a place in the Champions League. This season we're starting off with four defeats in six games.

That said, we're doing a bit of a Leicester at the moment by winning all of our Champions League games and none of the Premier league matches. We should qualify from our group without too much trouble and then we really have to push on from there in the league.

Episode 45: Back to Perfect Form!

After struggling for form in our last episode we've really stepped it up in this one. Five wins across six games has put us back in contention in the league and secured our qualification as group leaders in the Champions League.

Two stunning victories over Monaco certainly lend a hand to the form, but we now have two months where we can focus purely on pushing back up the league table.

Great work - looks like the team is back to firing on all cylinders now.

I'd say the league would be your priority from here. Champions League will be difficult regardless of who you draw in the next round.

I had a bit of a laugh last night playing FM17 - quite a few of the players you have came up on the transfer list. Phil Jones for 1.5 mill, Wijnaldum 6.5 mill, Mangala 6.25 mill. I really didn't need Wijnaldum, but I bought all 3 anyway. See how they go, and can always turn a profit come end of season. I'm into my 3rd season with Newcastle after finishing 10th last season - lots of improvement to make.

Struggling to get the Squad Harmony to a good level, trying to focus on this at the moment as my results are very inconsistent, I figure this may help.

11 hours ago, Pales84 said:

Great work - looks like the team is back to firing on all cylinders now.

I'd say the league would be your priority from here. Champions League will be difficult regardless of who you draw in the next round.

I had a bit of a laugh last night playing FM17 - quite a few of the players you have came up on the transfer list. Phil Jones for 1.5 mill, Wijnaldum 6.5 mill, Mangala 6.25 mill. I really didn't need Wijnaldum, but I bought all 3 anyway. See how they go, and can always turn a profit come end of season. I'm into my 3rd season with Newcastle after finishing 10th last season - lots of improvement to make.

Struggling to get the Squad Harmony to a good level, trying to focus on this at the moment as my results are very inconsistent, I figure this may help.

Yeah, it's nice to see the team getting back to the right form. I agree with the League, but I'd still like a good CL run. I'm not convinced it's worth going after the FA Cup at the moment.

They're three good players and at that price there's no real risk. I'd hope none of them are in my team in a couple of seasons, but they're great players for the transition from mid-table to CL places.

Episode 46: Perfect Premier League Form!

Having qualified as group winners in our last episode, we were able to full focus on the league today and managed to pick up four victories on the bounce! Added to our great form from last episode we're now up to second in the table and have put ourselves back into title contention.

We're in a strong position to push on in the league, but I need to know if you guys want me to prioritise the FA Cup still. Let me know down below!

Episode 47: Our Biggest Defeat Yet!

We put ourselves in a position to really go after the title in our last episode, but this time out we're doing everything we can to avoid it! We start off well enough with a comprehensive win over Liverpool, but then along come Man City...

Overall we're still in good shape and only need to worry about the League and Champions League. I'd be disappointed if we failed to progress right up to the end of these competitions as I feel the squad is more than strong enough.

Episode 48: January Transfer Deadline Day Deals!

We're into the new year now and somehow the title race still has us in it! A massive episode today as we take on Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United.

In the middle of those games there's some good wins around other teams further down the table that sets us up nicely to push on. Next time out we get back into Champions League action, so make sure to check it out!

Episode 49: Champions League Knock-Out Stages!

Today we make our debut in the Champions League Knock-Out Stages and it's against Atletico Madrid. They're out for revenge after we scraped past them in the Europa League last season so we need to be on our guard for this one.

We also try to keep pace in the Premier League in our hunt for the title, but some of the smaller teams keep trying to throw a spanner in the works...

Episode 50: Can We Win The Title?!

The title is decided and it's happened with a feeling that most Newcastle fans will be familiar with... We gave it a good go but two costly defeats have let us down and Tottenham are deserved winners.

This is the 50th episode of the series and I'd love to see us hit 50 likes to celebrate! Next time out we're taking on our final two games in the hope that we can secure Champions League qualification for the second year in a row, so make sure to check it out!

Episode 51: Season 5 Finale!

After seeing the title just escape our grasp yesterday we now have to focus on securing our place in the top four for next season. Having been in the title race for so long it would be a real blow to miss out on the Champions League right at the end.

We also do our season five end of season review and take a look at who our best players were through the season. Some players will be sold and I'm interested to start bringing in a few more youth prospects.

Episode 52: The Summer Transfer Window

Now that the season has come to an end it's that time of year where we try to squeeze as much money from the board as possible to strengthen the team.

It was still difficult to try and pull in a great player and some of our long serving footballers have been moved on, but I think we're very well set up to go out and finally get that title. We also play the first match of the season against Middlesborough.

Episode 53: Perfect Home Record!

It's the start of a new season and we're kicking off with big games against Arsenal, Man City and Liverpool in this episode. We're been on a good run since the end of last season but we are struggling to pick up wins away from home.

Luckily we're perfect at home and are making St James' Park a fortress. If we can keep it that way up to the end of the season then we'll be in with a very good chance of securing the title.

Episode 54: Grabbing The Away Wins!

We pick up our first away win in the Premier League today as we continue our excellent march to the top of the table. It might not be quite as good as when we won 14 in a row a couple of seasons ago, but it's definitely good progress.

On the flip side, we lose two matches for the first time this season, both in the cup competitions. Despite putting out a reasonable strong team for the match against Man City, some poor defending has cost us dearly.

Episode 55: We Are Top of the League!

This has been the most consistent start to a season that we've had for a very long time and we're beating some big teams along the way! We've managed to climb to the league summit, although it has come at the cost of our unbeaten league run.

In the Champions League we've managed to set up a group deciding match with Porto in the next episode, after they beat us in Portugal a few weeks ago.

Episode 56: They're Catching Us..

Our excellent league form has continued, but a couple of unlucky draws have allowed other teams to close the gap at the top. A very dramatic match at Sunderland saw the cards hit double digits, with a very dramatic end.

We also managed to win our Champions League group, allowing us to hope for a kinder knock-out stage draw. With the competition at a close for Christmas, we can focus on securing our league position.

Episode 57: Six League Wins in a Row!

Despite winning six league games in a row, the chasing pack are managing to keep pace with us. The question now seems to be if we have the legs to sustain such a good title challenge.

A big defeat in the final match of this episode really does through the league wide open and we're going to need a good January transfer window to see this through with the FA Cup about to start.

Episode 58: Getting Hammered 5-1

Our League form takes a big hit today as we play games against Liverpool and Arsenal. After a great recent run that position at the top of the table is starting to look a little bit shaky.

Our home form is holding up quite well but the Champions League latter stages will kick off next episode and will add an additional dimension to our title campaign.

Keep at it, you'll get there. Pretty common to have a lull in the season, just gotta maintain that morale. Do you talk to your players individually often? Also, do you use the same tactic regardless of whether you are playing home or away, or versus a strong opponent? I've been tinkering with this, mixed results, but that's what we come to expect as Newcastle supporters!!

I'm into my 4th season now. I signed Borja Mayoral and Martin Odegaard, and they've slotted in nicely, although Odegaard can be hard to please (low-ish morale despite good results - every time I praise him, he objects!). They're awesome prospects. Somehow, I managed to get James Ward-Prowse on loan, he is a beast. Not that high of a rating, but he pulls the strings, along with Tielemans (when he isn't injured!). Starting to get a solid base of players at a good age. I have Alex Meret too - based on your recommendation. He's been good, but he's demanded to leave should we not reach the Champions League. However, my scouts found me a wonder kid goalkeeper from Chile, 3 and a half star rating at 19, potential 5 star ability. I've loaned him out for the season to obtain a work permit, which he now holds due to some recent international experience. Disappointing to potentially lose Meret, but think I'm covered, Woodman is still around as back up.

Good luck against Juventus!!

19 hours ago, Pales84 said:

Keep at it, you'll get there. Pretty common to have a lull in the season, just gotta maintain that morale. Do you talk to your players individually often? Also, do you use the same tactic regardless of whether you are playing home or away, or versus a strong opponent? I've been tinkering with this, mixed results, but that's what we come to expect as Newcastle supporters!!

I'm into my 4th season now. I signed Borja Mayoral and Martin Odegaard, and they've slotted in nicely, although Odegaard can be hard to please (low-ish morale despite good results - every time I praise him, he objects!). They're awesome prospects. Somehow, I managed to get James Ward-Prowse on loan, he is a beast. Not that high of a rating, but he pulls the strings, along with Tielemans (when he isn't injured!). Starting to get a solid base of players at a good age. I have Alex Meret too - based on your recommendation. He's been good, but he's demanded to leave should we not reach the Champions League. However, my scouts found me a wonder kid goalkeeper from Chile, 3 and a half star rating at 19, potential 5 star ability. I've loaned him out for the season to obtain a work permit, which he now holds due to some recent international experience. Disappointing to potentially lose Meret, but think I'm covered, Woodman is still around as back up.

Good luck against Juventus!!

Yeah, I always tend to get these lulls in the season so I'm hoping we can kick on over the remaining matches. I think we can take out Juve but it might be quite tough.

I wasn't able to bring Odegaard in and passed up the chance of signing Ward-Prowse. I'm getting to the point now where the regens are more likely signings as the good young players are already at the big clubs. I had a similar situation where a few of the big players threatened to leave without CL football, but luckily we just about made it and could hang on to them!

Episode 59: Losing Everything!

Everything has gone wrong! Our excellent league form had put us in with a great chance of winning the title, but some poor form at a really inopportune time has completely blown it for us!

We’re now out of the FA Cup and Champions League, and a really poor defeat to Hull has left us adrift of the league title. We need serious improvement to turn this around.

Episode 60: Title Decider With Manchester United!

The title is decided in todays episode and full credit goes to Manchester United for the way they secured it. Beating us at Old Trafford and never once giving us a sniff at the title; they’ve been the better team ever since taking our position at the top.

Attention then switches to Spurs and trying to secure the top three position so that we can enter at the group stage of the Champions League next season.

Episode 61: End of Season Review

Only two matches today as we look to wrap up a severely disappointing season at the club. While third in the league is still a decent finish it looks a long way away from that title that we’re so desperate for.

Next season is all about improving and going after the title again, but the last thing that I want is to finish another season empty handed.

Episode 62: Summer Transfers!

After a disappointing season we're ready to go again at the League title following a reasonably pre-season. We're still struggling to bring in the best players due to a mixture of club stature and our wage budget.

The first match of the new League Season is at home to Manchester United. Their team is incredibly strong and I get the feeling they're going to be tough to stop again this time around.

Episode 63: Rocky Start!

It's a bit of a shaky start this time out as we lose two of our first three games in the league. Luckily they were against bigger teams so it's not the end of the world, but we really need to start picking up the points soon.

We do get a very good win against Juventus in the Champions League however and that allows us to build towards progressing in one of the toughest Champions League groups I've ever seen!

Episode 64: Real Madrid Away!

The very tough matches continue today after playing Liverpool, Man Utd and Juventus yesterday, we now take on Spurs, Chelsea and Real Madrid today.

Predictably, a tough run of matches like this leads to some slightly patchy form - but we do manage to put together a six game winning streak. This episode also includes probably the best individual win of our series so far: Away from home against Real Madrid.

Episode 65: Comeback Kings!

There's even more big matches in today's episode - a situation not helped by being in the group of death in the Champions League. This time out we have to take on Real Madrid, Manchester City and Juventus across six games, with a big rival match against Sunderland too.

Surprisingly we do actually manage to put together a run of four straight victories, but better yet, we manage to do so despite falling behind a number of times. This show of character gives me some hope for the season but we need to be picking up more points then we are right now.

Episode 66: Change of Tactic!

This was definitely one of those episodes where I rethink the entire tactical structure and set of players within my team. Some very disappointing results at a crucial time have left me with a lot to think on ahead of next episode.

After starting with a couple of positive results against Everton and Leicester, we completely throw away our league form against West Ham and Aston Villa. Worse yet, those defeats have come at home.

Episode 67: The Greatest January Signing Ever?!

The January Transfer arrived at the end of last episode and boy did we need it! The new signings have signed in brilliantly already and Simonsen is looking like the best player we've ever signed!

We manage to string together five wins in six to really help our league form and we've also set ourselves up well for EFL Cup semi-final with Manchester United.

Episode 68: Cup Semi's and Transfer Windows!

The January Transfer signings are starting to bed into the team a bit more, but some tough matches against Manchester United and Liverpool leave us looking a bit worse for wear.

Despite those matches we do manage to pick up two wins in the league and progress in the FA Cup. The FA Cup is easily our new priority for silverware with the title looking beyond us and the Champions League a little wishful.

Episode 69: Shearer's Second Coming!

Simonsen is the second coming of Alan Shearer! I can't remember one player ever having as big an impact on a team as he has had for us! All of the problems of the past two seasons are drifting away as he bangs in goal after goal!

This episode takes us to seven straight victories in all competitions! There's still a very good chance we can make the Champions League if we continue playing in the way we are right now.

wow... simonsen is some player! what a beast!

I found a great keeper from Chile - enzo bravo, young but bloody good. he is a freak, he displaced Meret instantly, he didn't like that so had to be sold.

some regens are amazing, hard to find but.

5 hours ago, Pales84 said:

wow... simonsen is some player! what a beast!

I found a great keeper from Chile - enzo bravo, young but bloody good. he is a freak, he displaced Meret instantly, he didn't like that so had to be sold.

some regens are amazing, hard to find but.

Yeah, he's absolutely blown me away! I'm scouting out new goalkeeping options to keep Ketchell on his toes next season.

Great to see you're still watching!

Episode 70: Ten Wins in a Row!

Our stunning upturn in form continues today as we take our winning streak into another episode! Simonsen has been an absolute revelation and taken on the mantle of the new Alan Shearer!

We also progress through the Champions League and set up a Quarter Final clash with three time European Champions PSG. The FA Cup is still a go with a semi-final to play with Arsenal.

Episode 71: Champions League Quarter Finals with PSG!

Today we take on PSG in our attempt to win the Champions League! We start with the away leg and give ourselves one heck of a challenge for the return leg at home. We also play a few league games and continue our excellent return to form since January.

With the Champions League proving a little disappointing, we turn our attention to the FA Cup Semi Final against Arsenal and try to win our first trophy for a couple of years.

Episode 72: The FA Cup Season Finale!

We qualified for the Champions League! For the longest time this season it looked like we might just miss out on the top four after an awful start to the season, but Chelsea capitulated and we were able to make it in with a few games to spare!

We also made it to our third FA Cup final with me as manager where we played Liverpool. The game wasn't a million miles per hour, but boy what a finish! A stunning last minute winner at Wembley is the only way to win the world's best cup competition!

Episode 73: Spending £123 in the Transfer Window!

The Summer Transfer Window is back as we look to build on our excellent second half of last season. We managed to find a way to stretch the cheque book and add some excellent new players in key positions.

On the downside, we've actually missed out on the Champions League because West Ham won the Europa League and Spurs managed to win the Champions League, relegating us to the Europa League Group stage.

Episode 74: Old Trafford and Anfield!

We're getting used to difficult starts to the season and this time it's no different with back to back games at Anfield and Old Trafford. We start off well enough with two good victories, including over Sunderland, but then struggle with three winless games in a row.

Apologies for the shoddy audio at the start of this video - my crappy mic decided to sabotage the video and I've done my best to fix it but there might still be some issues.

Episode 75: Gunning for Arsenal!

A shorter video today as I'm on holiday in Berlin at the moment so the past few videos have been pre-recorded. I'll be back to normal tomorrow but I wanted to make sure I kept giving you daily content!

Today's episode features three very good wins in a row, including against Arsenal at St James' Park. These wins close the gap on the top of the table and keep us within touching distance ahead of next episode.

Episode 76: The Perfect Run!

Back to normal after my holiday today and we're picking up exactly where we left off last time. That stunning victory over Arsenal has been followed by an incredible run of form that has allowed us to pick up ten straight victories!

The perfect episodes are pretty rare, so it's always nice when they come towards the start of a season to get you in the right place right from the off!

Episode 77: Falling Apart - AGAIN!

I don't know what it is in the water, but Newcastle do not want to win this title. Every time we put together a great run of form we totally throw it away with some terrible patches.

Two points from nine have left us with serious catching up to do after being so close to the title. Luckily our European form continues in style as we seek to win the group and we also progress in the EFL Cup.

Episode 78: Things Are Looking Up Again!

A near perfect episode again today and we are looking better than we have done in a very long time! Divock Origi has found his shooting boots and put us within touching distance of the top spot.

A stunning victory of Manchester City has put us in contention, even if we did nearly throw away a four goal lead! A disappointing loss to Spurs aside, this was a brilliant comeback episode.

Episode 79: We Signed Cristiano Ronaldo!

This was easily one of the most exciting episodes I can remember recording in a while! After letting Scott Orr go for £50m and turning down another £135m in offers, we manage to secure the signing of a 38 year old Cristiano Ronaldo for £5m!

We also manage to continue our resurgent form and push further towards the title! I'm desperately trying to keep the team strong and together until we can secure that title!

Episode 80: January Transfer Deadline Day!

Well things just keep on getting better and better for us! A near perfect episode today despite us taking on Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United - Twice!

We've now won nine league games in a row to move top of the table and we could still yet do a quadruple with the Europa League about to start up again. Absolutely incredible stuff!

Episode 81: The EFL Cup Final!

It's a Cup Competition episode as we play five cup games in six games! We also manage to win our league game to keep us in the driving seat of the title race.

The EFL Cup final against Spurs is another chance for us to pick up our fourth piece of silverware since taking over the club.

Episode 82: Is The Title Slipping Away?!

It's another Cup heavy episode today as we look to progress through the Europa League KO stages. Some very easy wins over Standard Liege allow us to take on Sporting Lisbon in the quarter finals.

Annoyingly we suffer an improbably home defeat to West Ham, and one away to Chelsea, to leave us with an awful lot of work to do to win this title. We do manage to make some ground up, but it's a four horse race for the title from here.

Episode 83: Title Decider with Man City!

An absolute cruncher of an episode today as we take on the last eight of the Europa League and face a crucial run in on of league games towards the end of the season.

Despite a crushing set back against Lisbon and some poor league performance, we end this episode with a winner-takes-all match against Man City in the title race.

Archived