The Only Way Is Up. No, seriously, it is.

Dire Wrangle

December 19, 2004

Maybe, just maybe the last couple of managerial changes in 2004. Nigel Spackman returned to football at Bristol City, while John Rains took over at Haig Avenue - with Southport for those not in the know of Conference venues...

December 21, 2004

The final match before what will hopefully become a very merry Christmas...

Conference South

The Stadium, Upminster

Hornchurch v Dorchester Town

Town were second in the division going into this match, and we were badly in need of getting some form back. I took the risk and returned to the old 4-2-3-1 formation, with the team looking like Bayes; Locke, Stuart, Ward, McCarthy; Larsson, Fowler; Purser, Goodfellow, Birchall; Brayley. So not really different to the eleven that'd take part in the 4-4-2. Hey ho.

It looked to inspire some handy play, with Brayley heading just inches wide in the 56th second of play. Unfortunately the good start wouldn't be built upon, and a McCarthy own goal would put Dorchester ahead early on.

However we were clearly playing the better football and at half time we were unlucky to find ourselves behind to that single silly mistake.

The equaliser was so near yet so far as Birchall and Fowler came agonisingly close during the second half, and from somewhere I was getting that feeling it wasn't our day. It did eventually come, however, but too late to continue building on and push for the win that we so badly deserved for the performance we put in. We would go into Christmas having climbed a single place, however, and reached the dizzy heights of 14th place.

Hornchurch 1 (Birchall 86) Dorchester 1 (McCarthy og 12)

Attendance: 736

Man of the Match: Jordan Fowler (Hornchurch)

Once more we'd done well against superior opposition, but I'd leave with the feeling of 2 points lost, rather than the one gained...

December 22, 2004

Lee Turnbull gets the boot from Conference North strugglers Barrow, with Steve Redmond of Leigh RMI linked to the vacancy.

Left back Jamie Stuart suffers a training injury to his froin and will be out of action into the new year.

December 23, 2004

Northampton Town fill their open vacancy for manager with former Bristol City gaffer Brian Tinnion.

And finally in dull transfer news, Bryan Smith joins Moor Green from Maidenhead for the sum of £1,000.

December 25, 2004

Just a couple of transfers in the news while I kind of drag myself from my job long enough to enjoy the annual badly-cooked turkey with Sam and our families. Weymouth had signed Matt Robinson, and Stafford Rangers landed Bolton's Andrew Brabbs on loan until March.

December 26, 2004

******* had come and gone, and it was back to business. Harrogate hired Billy Smith to their management job, 2 weeks after he'd been sacked at Carshalton. Weston-super-Mare kept the merry go round spinning, sacking Andy Llewellyn, and Craig Edwards was given the dreaded vote of confidence across town at Redbridge.

Conference South

Woodspring Park, Weston-super-Mare

Weston-super-Mare v Hornchurch

Having sacked their manager a matter of hours ago - in fact I heard the news on the coach to the south west - I was quite confident we could capitalise on the somewhat shaken state of some of the playing staff at WsM. As far as my team went, the lads all recovered from heavy eating and drinking, but we needed a couple of changes to the first eleven. Injured Stuart was replaced by Damon Searle - playing for the first time this season - and Bertie Brayley's suspension meant Birchall started as lone striker - with Caskey slipping into his role in attacking midfield.

Caskey would have the first good chance, a long range free kick which forced a good save from Weston-super-Mare keeper Ryan Northmore, but the home side would go ahead early on through defender Lee Jarman's headed goal. The first half continued in much less exciting fashion, neither side able to string together decent moves in the bad weather, and subsequently only a handful of half chances fell to anyone during the first 45 minutes.

The second half sadly didn't see any pick up with both teams playing with little bounce. Just 3 half decent attacking moves were made in the second half by each side. And none of those were good enough to conjure up a goal that had never looked like coming. It was a bad result, from a bad match. This one should have been one of those dull 0-0s everyone forgets about in an hour.

Weston-super-Mare 1 (Jarman 6) Hornchurch 0

Attendance: 736

Man of the Match: Michael Jackson (Weston-super-Mare)

It was a rather dull and hopeless trot towards the end of 2004 that we'd found ourselves getting into. We needed to pick up the pace to save half a chance of going up, and we didn't half need to do it pretty sharpish...

Just wanted to say that your story is providing a great daily read and that I hope the lack of other posters in the thread does not kill your enthusiam for a story I really hope keeps going.

Good Luck!

Cheers Premchamp... certainly won't lose enthusiasm if people choose not to say "good stuff... kutgw" every five posts. Just been slow updating lately (and probably will be until 2005) due to work

December 28, 2004

Not much happens between Boxing Day's match and today, so...

Conference South

The Stadium, Upminster

Hornchurch v Carshalton Athletic

The final match of 2004 is the visit of second-bottom Carshalton, where we desperately need to take away all three points. Brayley returns from suspension, so Birchall drops back behind him at the expense of Darren Caskey. Lee Elam starts to replace the injured Wayne Purser.

If nothing else, at least this match looked more exciting than the visit to Weston-super-Mare. Brayley, Goodfellow and Ward all came within inches of putting us ahead in the first 20 minutes or so, with Carshalton struggling to burst out of the blocks.

The opening goal finally came from Bertie Brayley, who seemed to stumble into the ball a bit before it sneaked into the corner of the net. Not the greatest goal perhaps, but it was enough to have us in the lead come the break.

The second half started slowly, with Carshalton mustering the first attack of the half - their first of the match - after about 65 minutes. But pleasingly the equaliser that we have that painful tendency to concede never would come. In fact Brayley would round the helpless keeper and double the lead towards the end, and came close to securing his hat-trick in the dying seconds.

Hornchurch 2 (Brayley 21, 77) Carshalton 0

Attendance: 740

Man of the Match: Bertie Brayley (Hornchurch)

This game marked the end of 2004, and the halfway stage of the Conference South season. A good win will end the year on a high note, but we need to start 2005 similarly with the visit to Margate on Saturday. Nothing like spending New Years at the seaside...

December 29, 2004

Disappoint ends 2004 for Thurrock, with the news that right back Michael Green would play until nigh on this time next year. Never mind, hey.

And Ernie Tippett becomes (maybe) the final managerial casualty of the year, sacked at Rushden. Reports suggest Paul Merson is already the front runner for his job.

December 30, 2004

I'm informed that contracts expire for many of my playing staff expire in half a year's time. They are; Ashley Bayes, Darren Caskey, Adam Locke, Wayne Purser, Simon Weatherstone, Simon Wormull, Paul McCarthy, Lee Matthews, Mark Westhead, Lee Elam, Bertie Brayley, Charlie Taylor and Glenn Boosey. New deals are offered to Bayes, Locke, Purser, McCarthy, Brayley, Taylor & Boosey... the rest can head off to the Romford Jobcentre come June...

December 31, 2004

Bradford bring Rob McDonald in as manager to celebrate New Year's Eve, while Barrow appoint Steve Redmond from Leigh RMI.

January 1, 2005

A new year begins with the footballer of the year awards. Awards are as follows:

World Footballer of the Year

Winner: Ronaldinho (F.C. Barcelona)

Runner-up: Andriy Shevchenko (AC Milan)

Third: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United)

World Player of the Year

Winner: Andriy Shevchenko (AC Milan)

Runner-up: Ronaldinho (F.C. Barcelona)

Third: Samuel Eto'o (F.C. Barcelona)

European Footballer of the Year

Runner-up: Andriy Shevchenko (AC Milan)

Third: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United)

European Goalkeeper of the Year

Winner: Iker Casillas (Real Madrid C.F.)

Runner-up: Gianluigi Buffon (Juventus)

Third: Jens Lehmann (Arsenal)

European Defender of the Year

Winner: Walter Samuel (Real Madrid C.F.)

Runner-up: Gianluca Zambrotta (Juventus)

Third: Roberto Carlos (Real Madrid C.F.)

European Midfielder of the Year

Runner-up: Samuel Eto'o (F.C. Barcelona)

Third: Zinedine Zidane (Real Madrid C.F.)

European Striker of the Year

Winner: Andriy Shevchenko (AC Milan)

Runner-up: Ruud van Nistelrooy (Manchester United)

Third: Samuel Eto'o (F.C. Barcelona)

But more importantly...

Conference South

Crabble Athletic Ground, Dover

Margate v Hornchurch

A visit to the leaders is never easy. Especially when short of some vital players. Locke is suffering a minor injury and is replaced by Tarkan Mustafa, Jordan Fowler is unfit after the recent hectic schedule, and is filled in for by Shaun Carey. Finally we miss the suspended Birchall, and Caskey makes an appearance behind the brilliant Brayley.

Unbelievably we led after 54 seconds when McCarthy cut short a Margate attack from kick off, before hoofing the ball off down the left flank for Goodfellow to give Brayley the ammo for yet another goal in his collection. Margate were struggling to show the class that has them top of the division, and we were unlucky to go into half time with just the single goal advantage.

Fortunately we held off the somewhat rare attacks from the hosts, and continued to get forward really beginning to look like a 1-0 win would be an embarrassment based on the performance.

That is, if we hold on to it, which we didn't. Danny Campbell broke the Hornchurch hearts late on with a scrappy equaliser, and that was that...

Margate 1 (Campbell 88) Hornchurch 1 (Brayley 1)

Attendance: 1500

Man of the Match: Damon Searle (Hornchurch)

It should've been a win, we led for 87 minutes and should've scored one or two more, but it's still nice to take a point from the leaders of your division. The next three games, all against teams surrounding us in the table, will be absolutely crucial to our chances of climbing up towards the top 5...

January 2, 2005

All but one of the offered contracts is agreed to. Brayley decides he's good and shows signs of getting above his station by requesting more money. Git.

January 3, 2005

Man Utd's Ben Collett agrees to a summer move to The Stadium. The only stumbling block is the £60,000 compensation, which we might not have.

Conference South

The Stadium, Upminster

Hornchurch v Bishop's Stortford

The first of that important run, with Stortford sitting 6 points ahead of us pre-match, and a must win if we're to ever escape this run of sitting in 14th/15th place. There were no changes to the previous side, and Caskey held his place due to Birchall being slightly unfit.

The first half had little excitement until the very end, when Steve Parmenter clashed with Ward, leaving the defender injured. Parmenter however was the first to realise nothing was given for the challenge, and found himself with only Bayes to beat. He did.

The early stages belonged to Hornchurch as we hunted the quick equaliser, and continue to make more of our attacking than the visitors, but the goal would never be found.

Hornchurch 0 Bishop's Stortford 1 (Parmenter 44)

Attendance: 735

Man of the Match: Ray Taylor (Bishop's Stortford)

It was a bad, bad loss. It relegated us back to our seemingly inevitable-to-finish-there position of 15th place. Still, 19 games left yet...

January 4, 2004

Up at Hayes, Willy Wordsworth gets the sack from the managers job. What a legendary name, I might add. And further up, at Scarborough, Mr Wordsworth is linked to the job there, as Nick Henry gets the sack from his job.

Meanwhile, Lee Turnbull takes over at Rushden & Diamonds.

January 5, 2004

Happy news to begin the day, as Bertie signs a new deal, keeping him with us right up until 2008. He becomes the highest paid player, on a terribly extortionate £1800 a week, painfully bad for my club's finances. Hope he's worth it, then.

January 8, 2004

It's quiet in the news until FA Cup Round Three day arrives. Of course this means chuff all to me, so all my attention's on...

Conference South

Recreation Ground, Grays

Grays Athletic v Hornchurch

We were pleasantly back to almost my full first team today, with Stuart being the only one still missing. Caskey's brief run ends again as he gets suspended, again.

This match was, well, bloody damn well important. We needed to strike early and build on it. Fortunately we at least manage part 1, with Birchall celebrating his return by putting us 1-0 ahead within 15 minutes. It looked like we'd actually go and do the latter as well when Brayley added a second just minutes later. If we win, that'll be this week's £1800 paid off, I guess. It was 2-0 at half time, and you'd find it hard to bet against us having seen the opening half.

Get your wallets out... now. Just a few minutes into the second half the lead was chopped in half, as Ricky DeFreitas pulled one back for Athletic. Hayzelden hit the post moments later as the home team looked ever more likely to score the equaliser.

The equaliser eventually came when Grays threw men forward as time ticked away. We'd taken the lead, even built upon it. Now we just need to learn how to hold on to one.

Grays 2 (DeFreitas 52, Remy 76) Hornchurch 2 (Birchall 14, Brayley 16)

Attendance: 944

Man of the Match: Adam Locke (Hornchurch)

We'd played well and deserved the win, so why were we lucky to take home a single point? We've got the squad and ability there to beat anyone in this league - as we've proved with good results against the better teams - but we still can't seem to turn anything into goals and points. That's why I've now spent 12 games on the bounce peaking no higher than 14th, and dropping no lower than 15th. Well, at least we're consistent.

January 9, 2005

Altrincham join the manager-hunting list of teams, doing away with Graham Heathcote's leadership qualities which have seen them languishing in the relegation zone of the Conference North. Leicester also make changes at the top, with Micky Adams sacked. Glenn Hoddle is the name on most pundits' lips in terms of his successor.

Meanwhile in yesterday's FA Cup, Crawley keep the non-league world watching with a brilliant 2-1 win over Championship side Derby to book a Conference team into the Fourth Round. Woking also go into the hat, but will need a replay after a 2-2 draw at Port Vale. Of the big favourites, Arsenal cruise past Dag & Red, Man Utd draw with Middlesbrough, and Man City thrash ****y Jose Mourinho's Chelsea 4-2.

January 10, 2005

Tarkan Mustafa, after a 2-game run in the first eleven, requests removal from the transfer list, claiming he's happy he can now win his place if he works. Fine, but you'll play if someone gets injured, mate.

Welsh side TNS come in with a £4000 offer for striker Kirk Jackson. His estimated value is at least double that, so the Llansantffraid boys are sent back to come up with other ideas.

January 11, 2005

Conference South

The Stadium, Upminster

Hornchurch v Hayes

This was the last of that must-win trio, although given that we're yet to win one of them I think the rest of the season is pretty much must-win.

Like the previous match, we started brightly and threatened to take the lead on several occasions early on, but wouldn't do so until much nearer half time, when Brayley managed to nod in Purser's inch-perfect cross. At half time we led, now please hold onto it.

We had a golden chance to double it early in the second, when Brayley was brought down in the area and stepped up for the penalty. He hit it straight at the keeper, though, and couldn't make the most of the rebound. As the match went on we'd continue to have more of the attack before a brief spell of pressure from Hayes was rudely destroyed. After making a good save, Bayes sent the ball at least two thirds of the way towards the Hayes goal. Brayley ensured it went the final third, with what would secure a vital win.

Hornchurch 2 (Brayley 42, 76) Hayes 0

Attendance: 719

Man of the Match: Sebastian Larsson (Hornchurch)

It was nice to finally learn how to win again, but we still were a long way from looking like a top notch side. Still, we were faring better than poor Bognor Regis, who lost 2-1 at local rivals Weymouth to reach 15 games without winning in the league.

We meanwhile sat back in 14th, but were slowly, and hardly noticably given we've occupied the same 2 positions for a couple of months, edging further from the drop and closer to the top. With just 10 points between Top and 12th, the only problem is gaining the 8pt deficit we have to 12th place...

January 15, 2005

With absolutely no news, it's straight back to the merry road to Cup glory...

FA Trophy Third Round

Christie Park, Morecambe

Morecambe v Hornchurch

A big game for the Urchins, with a difficult visit to the Conference mid-table side. Damon Searle still filled in for Jamie Stuart, but otherwise the full side was available. Which was nice. I'd go into the match with one eye on Garry Hunter, whom I'd made my interest known in earlier this season, and will do so again if he fails to agree a new deal at Morecambe.

Morecambe showed their better class for the early part of the game, but when we finally learned how to get forward we had surely the chance of the match. Brayley just needed to hit the target and it was in. He didn't, somehow hitting it over with the keeper all but beaten. We were however settling in and keeping the Morecambe attack at bay while creating chances of our own.

Morecambe would finally break the tie through Michael Twiss with just shy of half an hour to play. A tired Brayley would be replaced by Elam allowing Birchall to take up the attacking role, and the move was a success as the Arsenal man took on a superb through-ball from Larsson to level the scoring. As time ticked away it was getting harder and harder to pick a winner - the match was exciting end to end play, but no one looked like scoring that winning goal.

Morecambe 1 (Twiss 63) Hornchurch 1 (Birchall 78)

Attendance: 1043

Man of the Match: David Perkins (Morecambe)

No one would find that goal, and a replay beckoned. Marvellous.

Cheers bartley_m, now scroll down a little to see how that replay goes...

January 16, 2005

What a pain in the backside. Newspaper reports today suggest I'm on the verge of being booted out of Hornchurch. Not good.

Having read that I was rather upset and shocked. I spent the afternoon with Sam but couldn't focus on anything with this on my mind. What happens if I get the shove? I'm so into this job now I don't know if I could drag myself back to the old life. Would I have to move away and risk my love for a job? What a damned great start to the new year...

January 18, 2004

Västerås SK manager Richard Money leaves to join Leicester after a spell of intense speculation.

Meanwhile all eyes are on the FA Trophy draw. Should we beat Morecambe in tomorrow's replay, we'll have a hopefully simple tie against a team below our level. Arlesey or Kingstonian battle for the visit to us or our replay opposition.

January 19, 2004

FA Trophy Third Round Replay

The Stadium, Upminster

Hornchurch v Morecambe

With my job apparently on the line, this became match of the season and totally a must-win. The team was unchanged from the original match on Saturday for this replay, with Stuart still unfit.

It was a painfully dull start in snowy Upminster, with neither team finding their way in the freezing conditions of -5 degrees. It'd be a good 20 or so minutes before Morecambe scrapped to the first half decent attack of the match, but nothing would come of it. We would finally manage to trouble the visitors shortly before the break, but Fowler's attempt would cause them little to worry over.

We'd gone into half time at the end of a decent attacking spell and were hopeful it'd continue as the second began. Still though, both teams struggled in the dire weather, failing to move far past first gear. As a result, it remained goalless after 90 minutes of play.

And still after the first session of extra time it was 0-0, with no-one managing anything of an opportunity in that period. I was beginning to dread the shoot-out lottery that looked inevitable, and threw West and Taylor onto the field to give us enough finishers on the field should we need their penalties in a short while.

The second half of extra time began with the disappoint of losing Fowler to a red card, but this seemed to bring out such a desire to wrap up the win. Birchall came close twice within the next five minutes, but hearts would be broken when Morecambe took the lead after breaking forward. I looked to the skies, praying and hoping for an equaliser, but my prayers fell flat as I was drawn from them by the sound of the celebrating handful of away fans as a second killed us off.

Hornchurch 0 Morecambe 2 (Kelly 115, Carlton 118)

Attendance: 395

Man of the Match: Michael Twiss (Morecambe)

RIP, here lies any hopes of some sort of glory in this season. And now it was time to drag something from this and try to keep on. But with Calder and his cronies on my back, it was hard to know how long I'd have to try and get this team going...

January 20, 2005

After coming off injured in yesterday's match, we learn that Elliott Ward will be out for three weeks or so. Grrreat. Hayes meanwhile welcome Nick Henry as their new boss, while I start browsing the jobcentre for other jobs I may need soon...

January 21, 2005

More bad news, in that Birchall is due to soon return to Highbury. An attempt to keep him here until April is made, so hopefully the Welshman will be happy to see out another three months here.

January 22, 2005

Conference South

York Road, Maidenhead

Maidenhead United v Hornchurch

Jamie Stuart returns to his place as left back, but various other difficulties have an adverse effect on the side. Injured Ward is replaced by Matthews, and the two midfielders are out so Boosey and Carey pair up in the centre. It was getting to brown trousers time, and something really needed to happen rather quickly.

Fortunately something happened after 8 minutes, when Birchall put us ahead with a wonderful strike. This could be the last time he plays in our strip, and christ he'll be missed. We would however double the lead without his help, as Wayne Purser hit a 30-yard free kick straight into Nick Hart's top corner.

I wasn't worried about defeat much these days, to be honest. We're not far off the drop zone but there's 6 teams above us who've lost at least one more match this season, and even the teams in 2nd and 3rd are only one short. It's just holding onto leads and getting three points where we go wrong. 9 draws, just where would we be if we'd won, say, 4 of those? 6th, that's where.

Anyway, swiftly moving into the second half, with a confident enough lead over Maidenhead, we looked to be securing a vital win. Until, that is, three minutes into the half. Richard O'Connor would replicate Wayne Purser's goal with an almost identical free kick strike to bring one back, beginning a sustained spell of pressure as they hunted down an equaliser which I could almost see coming. They continued to push up throughout the later stages of the match, and it took some intensive defending to kep them at bay. Brayley should have wrapped it up 4 minutes from time, but didn't and fortunately 2-1 was just, just enough.

Maidenhead 1 (O'Connor 48) Hornchurch 2 (Birchall 8, Purser 22)

Attendance: 1321

Man of the Match: Richard Harris (Maidenhead)

It was unconvincing and almost painful to watch, but in the state of events a win is well and truly a win. More of the same, please...

No nominations for the awards? Painful. Well I suppose there's just the one, but that's secret... icon_razz.gif

January 23, 2005

In rare good news, Arsenal accept the offer for Birchall, so hopefully he'll spend another three months here.

Elsewhere Sunderland sack Mick McCarthy, after some poor results see them sitting in mid-table.

January 25, 2005

Weston-super-Mare appoint 36-year-old Ian Sampson to the manager's job at the club, and in more relevant news Birchall happily extends his loan deal for 3 further months. Lovely jubbly.

January 26, 2005

Conference South

The Stadium, Upminster

Hornchurch v Newport County

Desperate times call for desperate measures, I was telling myself as I planned out my latest attempt at tactical genius. Today's was a big gamble, totally destroying defence in favour of attack. Bayes would as usual be between the posts, with Locke and McCarthy as the 2-man line of defence. Harris played between them and the midfield of Larsson and Boosey. Finally we had Goodfellow, Caskey and Purser behind the front pairing of Birchall and Brayley. This could go very right or very very wrong. Only the next 90 minutes would tell us that...

Early doors it looked good, with a disallowed goal after 45 seconds ending a good attack, and we spent the start of the first half attacking heavily on the visitors' goal. Whether my ambitious tactics could hold though was another matter entirely.

They would, but thanks mostly to an incredibly dull second half in which no-one found a way to break forward.

Hornchurch 0 Newport Co 0

Attendance: 733

Man of the Match: Ben Lloyd (Newport Co)

We climbed a place to 14th with a draw that was a fair result. It was a game we could've won, but given the statistics thrown around post-match I don't think it'd have been too fair on either side to lose.

January 27, 2005

Birchall gets called up to the Welsh Under 21s, in order to face Qatar's youngsters. He looks likely to miss the big match against Havant & Waterlooville as a result. Oh well.

January 28, 2005

With the deadline looming in the upper leagues, Fulham attempt to steal Brayley for a mere £110,000. Next please.

And Dave Jones is appointed at Sunderland to replace the departed Mick McCarthy as manager.

January 29, 2005

Conference South

Clarence Park, St Albans

St Albans City v Hornchurch

The ridiculously ambitious formation gets another go on the visit to 16th placed St Albans, and the starting eleven was also identical to the previous match.

This tactic certainly benefits in attack, and Birchall would come close twice in the opening few minutes to putting us in front. We'd continue to push forward and look more likely to score until Goodfellow went and gave away a penalty shortly before half time. Scott Cousins happily stepped forward and gave his side the lead from 12 yards. But the hosts had just about stopped celebrating when Goodfellow redeemed himself, landed a cross straight on Purser's head, and he hit the back of the net (as did the ball, incidentally).

St Albans battled hard during most of the second half, desperately seeking a win that would leapfrog them above us in the league. They just couldn't seem to find the target however, and wasted countless opportunities, while Bayes was holding his ground when called upon.

The last move of the game would see Purser almost finding a winning goal, but was unlucky to only come close.

St Albans 1 (Cousins pen 40) Hornchurch 1 (Purser 45)

Attendance: 1247

Man of the Match: Marc Goodfellow (Hornchurch)

Another point on the board, and we swap places with Lewes, dropping to 15th. We're beginning to turn onto the final straight now, and we really need to find top gear to finish the season in some sort of style.

Archived