Tales from the banks of the Seine...My adventures in Troyes

IanG75

3462d68.jpg

ESPERANCE SPORTIVE TROYES AUBE CHAMPAGNE (ESTAC) TROYES

INTRODUCTION:

Esperance Sportive Troyes Aube Champagne (ESTAC) is a French Ligue 2 side based in Troyes in Northern France. They play their home matches at the 20,400 capacity Stade de l’Aube and possess impressive training and good youth facilities.

The club has a strange history where the club has been rebranded/renamed on 7 different occasions. The club was formed in 1900 as Union Sportive Troyenne (UST) before merging with AS Savinienne to form Association Sportive Troyenne et Savinienne (ASTS) in 1931. The club became professional in 1935 but due to financial difficulties they folded in 1967.

A new club was created in 1967 called Troyes Omnisports and continued to play at a regional level before changing their name again in 1970 to Troyes Aube Football (TAF) and re-entering the professional ranks. After reaching the top flight in 1973 the club were relegated in 1978 and suffered relegation again the following season and the club yet again found themselves struggling due to financial difficulties.

Due to their now amateur status TAF merged with another amateur club Patronage Laïque de Troyes to create PL Foot where the club moved around the amateur leagues without much real success. In 1986 in an effort to stabilise the club President Angel Masoni rebranded the club naming them Association Troyes Aube Champagne (ATAC) and ten years later the club found themselves in Ligue 2 and three years later promotion to Ligue 1 followed. In 2000 the club name was changed again as a French supermarket with the name ATAC complained that the club were stealing their identity and ESTAC was the new name given to the club.

The club have since fluctuated between Ligue 1 and Ligue 2 and they currently find themselves in Ligue 2 and that will be where I begin my managerial career. The club trophy cupboard is bare, well when I say bare it does have an Intertoto Cup in it which the club won in 2001 when they beat Newcastle United in the final.

I chose ESTAC mainly due to the successful season I had with them on the BETA and although I don’t expect to replicate the success from that save I like the make-up of the squad and I can see myself playing this save for a long while yet.

In an effort to keep the save fresh I have set myself two rules which I need to stick to over the course of the save and a few objectives I want to achieve within my first five years as manager.

- Only sign players aged 23 or below

- Bring through youngsters from the youth team

* Both of these rules I set as objectives that I want to be judged on during my tenure as manager.

- Win promotion within 2 years

- Be consolidated as a Ligue 1 side within 5 years

- Bring through at least 5 players from the youth side to the first team (must have played a minimum 25 games)

- Improve the youth and training facilities

- Win a trophy!

2lm8hzp.jpg

Feel free to pass comments and advice as I progress, Cheers

Archived