[FM15] The Sunday League Footballer

nerzhul84

slf_zpsab08cad6.jpg

During a routine review of my job applications on a rainy sunday morning, a message in my mail box shattered my hopes.

fff_zps1e9e22bc.png

On this event, I decided to have an afternoon tea at The Stafford with my closest friends Mike and Frank.

aaax_zps2eb4f69d.jpg

My friends managed to convince me that my expectations were too high for someone at the initial steps of his career and I had to pursue a more realistic agenda. They were right. I needed to stay calm and begin studying for the National B License.

Almost two months had passed since the refusal of my last job application and it was the tenth week of the Vanarama Conference League. My phone rang on a Tuesday morning, when I was hopelessly dreaming of managing a SkyBet League 2 team.

5224876-large.jpg

The person on the other end of the line who was talking so fast introduced himself as Nick Higgs, the chairman of the Bristol Rovers Football Club asking if I'd be available to meet him for a job interview. In this very appointment, I’d also learn what caused their ex-manager Darrell Clark to step down despite the reasonably good performance, as the team is comfortably in 7th position right now. The chairman insisted that they were looking for a reliable and ambitious manager who would not only claim the spot but carry it even further.

Four days before writing this down, at the night of my conversation with Nick Higgs, I decided to watch the match at the Memorial where Bristol Rovers were hosting Dartford.

1189370_orig.jpg

The match with an official attendance of 5,906 favored the home team by a one goal margin.

bristolrovers-dartford_zpse610ecfe.jpg

Despite being unimpressed with the football played, I was impatient to meet Frank at lunch tomorrow and convince him that I could actually win a promotion with this team.

Archived