AS Monaco

cameronpo

I have just started a new save with Monaco & have just finished pre season. So here's a little run down of how things have went so far. With Monaco in a real transitional period I thought it best to steady the ship & focus on qualifying for European competition for next season. The squad boasts some outstanding talent in Moutinho, Rodriguez, Kondogbia & Falcao but seriously lacks depth. Thinking toward the future I spent a large chunk of my transfer kitty on and in my opinion one of the best goalkeepers in the world Courtois in preperation for next season. In doing so I really left myself short of cash so have had to spend the little I have wisely. Having 2 very solid centre backs is a bonus but age isn't on their side so rotation is a must, Borja I feel is too young to throw straight in at the deep end so I decided to hand a 1 year contract to Silvestre for a mere 40K which wasn't much of a risk, yes another player in his twilight years but 'rotation' being the key word here. At left back Kurzwa looks to be a real prospect but cover is short, with Buttner available on loan for a minimal fee I've brought him in on a rotational basis. At right back Fabinho looks like he can be relied on to do a job now I'm not expecting anything out of the ordinary from this player but again on a budget beggars can't be choosers, my main problem here is back up with Tisserand being far from ready. The strongest area of the squad is without a doubt in midfield, Kondogbia is a fantastic deep lying/anchoring midfielder & his young legs certainly help out the aging centre backs, I also aquired Momo Sissoko on a free to offer young Kondogbia a break now and again and prevent fatigue becoming an issue. I like to play 2 just in front of him so with Moutinho still recovering from injury I have been using Toulalan & another of my acquisitions Honda, initially signed on a pre contract but for 1.5m (which looks likely to be made back in merchandise revenue in the far east) was happy to bring him in immediatley. Honda offers that bit of creativity & magic that the more defensive minded midfielders don't possess. In the wider areas for depth & to add a little more zip & quality I recruited Zaha for the season. Initially the idea was my right winger/advanced forward roles were to be rotated between Zaha & the promising Ocampos & over on the left Rodriguez who picks himself to be honest to be backed up by another highly promising kid in the Belgian Carrasco. Up top we have Falcao but where is the cover?? I didn't really fancy Riviere but was happy to find a little gem in the upcoming Martial, not ideal to be fair as I feel more experience certainly is a must. Now arrise some problems…..overlooked by myself albeit not an avid follower of the Ligue 1 I hadn't realised the 4 non EU player rule & so I have Fabinho, Honda, Ocampos, Rodriguez & Falcao, my first thoughts were to cancel the loan of Fabinho but who would play right back? For that reason & that reason only I had to omit Ocampos almost bringing a tear to my eye, now I need to get him out on loan for his continued development as I will have him back next year in place of the departing Zaha. Fabinho won't be bought on a permanent basis so a more accomplished right back from within the EU will play there, possibly Walker offering Ocampos one of the coveted 4 non EU spots.

Here is my preferred line up for the season ahead:

GK.Subasic

RB.Fabinho CB.Carvalho CB.Abidal LB.Buttner

CDM.Kondogbia

CM.Moutinho CM.Honda

RW.Zaha LW.Rodriguez

ST.Falcao

GK.Romero

CB.Silvestre

LB.Kurzwa

CDM.Sissoko

CM.Toulalan