Learn To Fly

Wag

Wednesday 21st August 2002

We travelled to Lisbon buoyed by a brilliant 4-0 win over Port Talbot Town on the opening day of the season at the 'Morfa'. Andrew Martin and Danny Stevens both hitting the double. We knew what we had to today, a draw or a win and we'd be into the group stage of the Champions league - it'd be an amazing feat. We fail and we've got the consolation of a UEFA Cup place, but having come so far, maybe, just maybe I'm being greedy now. I don't want the UEFA Cup place - I want the Champions League spot. So do the players.

From the first minute we're on the back foot, it's just as I had expected and the Estadio José de Alvalade is awash with ticker tape and fans. Clayton, the Brazilian left winger goes close after nine minutes then Luis Filipe hits the ball high and wide after a succession of mazy runs. It continues like this for the first twenty minutes or so. We have to keep a clean sheet, keep it tight and we'll survive - it's like a mantra I repeat to my players on the sideline. 'Tight, close him down, keep it tight, come on.' We break...

Owen Thomas returned to the first team after injury picks up a pass from Leon Bell and sets off upfield. He beats Tinga with a sly step over before playing the ball into the path of Valentine Owen who is making a break up field. The pass sits up invitingly and Val strikes it sweetly. It's beaten the 'keeper...**** but not the bar..and it bounces away to safety. We were inches away from three-one, things like this just don't happen. We're on fire - Owen Thomas hits a shot just wide before Danny Stevens volley's the ball over from long range. We're actually on top and the game drifts to half time nil-nil, at the moment we're going through.

Our dressing room at half time is filled with proud players, who are just forty-five minutes away from becoming minor heroes, they've already got a legend behind them, this run has been unbelievable. I don't need to say much to pep them up they know what they have to do. I bring David Hughes on for Val Owen and shift Dave Barnett into a defensive midfield role. It seems to do the trick. We're a much tighter unit in the second half, but as suspected Sporting are soon in the ascendency.

Rui Bento starts to spray the ball around with ease, they're taking our players out of the game. We chase and chase but get nowhere near the ball. Niculae heads over and Clayton curls a shot wide. But at the other end, every so often we create a chance. Leon Bell forcing Nélson into a blocked save low at his near post and Clive Mendonca causing him to tip a shot over the bar. Bento continues to probe though. Liedson smashes a ball at goal - Schippers throws himself at it and it's cleared away. I look at the stadium clock - ten minutes to go. We might actually do this, for the first time I start to think properly about the next round. A mistake. Their Brazilian striker Silva collects a neat pass from Tinga and hurtles towards the area. He's managed to create some space and shoots. It's in... isn't it? NO! My hurt is in my mouth... then yes! Marriott has somehow managed to get across to it. Save!!. Minutes later it's over, we've silenced the stadium - all except for a small hardy bunch of souls from come from Wales.

Airbus UK - Andrew Marriott; Siôn Meredith, Jan-Harm Schippers, Chris Scott, Dave Barnett ©; Val Owen (David Hughes '46), Owen Thomas, Leon Bell, Mark Shaw (Clive Mendonca '78); Andrew Martin, Danny Stevens

Days later I travel to Geneva for the First Round draw. It isn't kind to us. Group B is where we are drawn - Académica of Portugal, Liverpool of England and Juventus of Italy. I never expected to get this far and don't expect us to get further. Coimbra, Turin and Liverpool, watch out the Airbus is coming.

Tuesday 10th September 2002

We travelled to Anfield safe in the knowledge that whatever happened from now on we would always be remembered as the Welsh side who against all the odds qualified for the First Stage proper of the Champions League. It was incredible, a bunch of part-timers were about to take on one of the finest teams in England. Rafa Benitez had actually led Liverpool to third last season, but part of this was down to the fact that they were distracted by bigger things - Liverpool are the current Champions League holders. Always nice to start with an easy game eh?

We were unbeaten in the league and cup on the home front, not losing or drawing any of our opening five games. Things were going well, I'd even been awarded the August Manager of the Month award - high praise indeed. But, none of that mattered now, this was the Champions League. Looking at the team sheets it was obvious who was going to win this - the press had already written us off and even without the injured Michael Owen, Liverpool still had two strikers up front in - Cissé and Diouf - who should tear us apart. A field day I think one esteemed journalist said.

We came out of the blocks like a house on fire forcing a corner after just seconds of the game but it came to nothing and Liverpool began to attack, forcing a succession of corners, a goal didn't look long in coming. Hyypia forced Marriott into a brave save at his near post from the final of these. He was quick to react though feeding Rhodri Thomas who was sprinting down the right touchline. Somehow we were counter attacking - with all the flair and grace of a better side than we perhaps were. Thomas still had the ball as he reached the area, looking up he saw a few men in the box but instead choose to clip the ball square - it wasn't the best of ball but somehow Mark Shaw managed to adjust his body just right and powered a header at goal from the edge of the box. 1-0, Dudek was left with no chance. Anfield stunned into mock silence - our small support in rapture and us on the bench in shock!

It didn't last though seven minutes later Cissé won a freekick after a foul by Scott Williams. His curling effort struck the ball and deflected wickedly into the top left hand corner when it looked more like it was heading right, and wide of the goal - the deflection coming off? Of course Mark Shaw - tears welled up in his eyes as he struck the turf. 1-1, game over.

We battled hard for the remaining minutes of the match, but never really managed to trouble Liverpool. They restricted us to half chances and free kicks. To be fair though we did the same, up until a point. The final result doesn't matter - we lost 3-1, but I can always say I was manager of a side who took the lead at Anfield - the players can always say - they played at Anfield. Whatever happens from now on. I'm proud. We sit in third place in the table - Juventus humbling their Portuguese opponents 2-0, if we can stay there I'll be happy - UEFA Cup football would be a sweet reward. Although I'm sure Académica would agree much the same.

What Happened Next...

Just one game came in between our trip to Anfied and our home match against Académica. We won it, of course, I'm not being boastful here - or at least not trying to it just seems at the moment on home turf - in the Welsh League or Cup we are unbeatable - we're almost to coin a phrase 'aquaplaning' - Connah's Quay dispatched 2-1 as we sit a top of the table with four wins from four games.

Académica were a curious side, they came from nowhere to finish Second in the Portuguese league last season and according to their manager had 'No Stars - we are a team, individuals are not wanted here,' it's an interesting theory and I guess very similar to our own. The game itself was tense throughout, as I had expected. We played well but as both sides cancelled each other out their was only going to be one result - a nil-nil draw. We remained third in the group, which Liverpool now topped after winning 2-1 in Turin.

We now faced over a month without a single league game. Cups had taken over. The first match came and went with some ease a 2-0 win at Carmarthen Town, the result saw us qualify for the next round of the Welsh League Cup with a game to spare. Hooray!. Then we had the much less frightening prospect of facing Juventus at the Delli Alpi. We had more right to be in this competition than them, after all they finished fourth in their league last season. We were the only true Champions in our group and we had to go through the rigmarole of qualifying rounds. But, just what do you say to a side who knows they're going to be beaten? I couldn't find the words. We soon fell into a three-nil mire with less than half an hour gone, but then things perked up Owen Thomas made a fool of Thuram and lashed the ball home from fully Thirty yards. Three-One. Miccoli made it four soon after the break, but then we got a penalty. Goal! Danny Stevens tucks it home. But Appiah then completes his hat trick and we know it's all over. The match finishes 6-2, Miccoli also getting a treble, but we're not disappointed, we played well - they were simply better than us. Then back to the excitement of the League Cup group stage - we finished off our games with a 5-1 rout of Haverfordwest - Danny Stevens hitting a hat trick.

October saw a return to Premier Cup action with two games in quick succession. Two 2-0 wins over Bangor City and Rhyl come in relatively easy circumstances, before we switch to the League Cup - now at it's Quarter Final stage - a 3-1 win at T.N.S, sees us into the Semi Finals. This was of course all before Juventus came to the 'Morfa', we crash 0-3 but it's not disgrace, we are now bottom of the group on goal difference though. Meaning our next group game against Liverpool could be vital, although I expect it'll go down to the final game, away in Portugal. This is followed by us dropping our first points in the league as we fall to Welshpool 0-1.

We faced Liverpool next and although the 0-4 crushing we received hurt it didn't matter, Académica had recorded the same score line against Juventus. It was all going to go down to the final group game, the Portuguese club and ourselves were level on points - just the one, although they sat above us courtesy of a slightly better goal difference. Three games passed by before that night - all wins - against Porthmadog and Haverfordwest in the league and the first leg of the League Cup Semi Final against Connah's Quay - before the night which would decide our season.

So it came down to Tuesday the 5th November. The final group game. Estadio Cidade de Coimbra is the venue, Académica are our hosts. We win we go through, we lose or draw and we're out. We lose 1-3. 'The Dream is Dead' but I take one thing from the game - the performance of young left back Chris Parry. Just eighteen, he was making only his fifth start for the club. He played incredibly well, scoring our only goal with a stunning free kick from fully thirty-five yards out...

In the End...

Airbus UK returned to their League campaign thinking about what might have been but knowing they'd got further than they could ever have imagined. While the league form was going well the club somehow managed to crash out of the Welsh Cup 2-1 at the hands of non-league Cardiff Corinthians - the cracks were beginning to show. Several players left the club, most notably recent signings Nathan Wigg, Paul Walker, although mainstays David Hughes and Dutch wingback Jan-Harm Schippers also departed. The league form however did pick up and soon they were riding high again, sitting a top of the table at Christmas.

The New Year saw the League Cup added to the Airbus UK trophy cabinet, a 2-0 win over Carmarthen Town with goals from Val Owen and the rejuvenated Clive Mendonca the scorers. In the league the good form continued so it was no surprise when the club lifted the title for the second season running, with just four games to go. But there were dark clouds on the horizon and after the club had lifted the Premier cup, it's third trophy of a highly successful season they released the following statement.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Following recent off the field incidents it has been decided to terminate the contract of manager Jamie Waggett with immediate effect. We feel that despite the good work and fantastic times Jamie has bought to this club that a new manager will allow us a fresh start and no doubt take us onto a higher plane. We wish him well for the future and thank him for our early season success in Europe. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd been sacked? And why? Because I dared question Mr. Sutton - despite my raising nearly £5million through out European Adventure and player sales, he would only issue me with the smallest of amount money for player wages and transfer fees. The situation had become untenable, I would have stayed though, but it just wasn't to be.

Things weren't all that bad though, I soon found myself back in employment - Scottish Division Three side Peterhead securing my services...

FIN

Archived