[FM13] The World is not enough...

AngryBird

Setup

This is my first FM Career Thread and I wasn't sure where to start so I loaded all playable leagues from all nations and started unemployed.

Current Date: 10 April 2014

Total Number of Seasons: 2

Number of Seasons at Current Club: 2

Current Club

AthloneTown.png

Athlone Town, Republic of Ireland Premier Division

Year        Country/League         Club             League Finish     Achievements / Notes
[hr]
2012/13     ROI First Division     Athlone Town     5th               Took Charge 17 games into the season on 31 Jul 12
2013/14     ROI First Division     Athlone Town     1st               Irish First Division Champions
2014/15     ROI Premier Division   Athlone Town

Having been faced with a tough choice of where to begin I made over 150 Job applications to all the clubs across the world with no current manager, 11 teams came back with offers and I chose to start my career with Athlone Town in the Republic of Ireland First Division

OliverMaltby_NewsInbox.png

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii368/DarkOli377/Athlone%20Town%20FM13/OliverMaltby_NewsInbox.png

I chose the club because I wanted to start off in the lowest reputation league I could. This left me with three choices from the ROI First Division and Athlone Town seemed the perfect club. Athlone Town are the oldest club in the Republic of Ireland, founded in 1887 and they have a prestigious past but haven't won anything in over 20 years, could I be the manager to turn this around.

AthloneTown_HistoryOverview-1.png

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii368/DarkOli377/Athlone%20Town%20FM13/AthloneTown_HistoryOverview-1.png

Taking a quick look at the Irish First Division, I notice we are sitting in a comfortable mid table position and the chairman only expects me to increase to a top half position (ie finish 4th or above). That shouldn't be too difficult :) I also notice Damien Rushe doesn't look too bad either, topping the assists table and 4 man of the match awards.

IrishFirstDivision_OverviewProfile.png

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii368/DarkOli377/Athlone%20Town%20FM13/IrishFirstDivision_OverviewProfile.png

Looking at the report from my assistant manager, Padraig Moran, on the Squad Depth I pick out our strongest positions are all through the centre of the park in DC, MC and STC. We have Joe Woods, a Premier Division standard Centre back, Damien Rushe, Stephen Relihan and Kevin Williamson all strong centre midfielders and Mark McGoldrick, Mark Sherlock and Noel McGee all talented strikers.

A link to the Squad depth is posted http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii368/DarkOli377/Athlone%20Town%20FM13/AthloneTown_ReportSquadDepth.png

The full Squad is posted below

AthloneTown_SquadPlayers.png

I decide a 4-3-3 narrow formation would be best suited to the current squad and set up a basic line-up below. I also set up two back up formations of 4-3-1-2 and 4-1-2-1-2 so the team can get familiar with them encase we need to switch to either of them in the future.

AthloneTown_TacticsOverview.png

http://i549.photobucket.com/albums/ii368/DarkOli377/Athlone%20Town%20FM13/AthloneTown_TacticsOverview.png

• 2 weeks later...

AthloneTown.png

Season Review 2012-13

Final League Result - 5th in Irish First Division

Table | Fixtures/Results (took charge from highlighted game) | Season Best Eleven | Transfers |

My first season in charge and I approached it thinking we would find it quite easy. We actually struggled winning only 3 games out of 12 games. By the end of the season, rather than cementing a respectable league position we were only 3 points from finishing 7th (SD Galaway finished well off the bottom in 8th). I expect many of the cubs fans would be wondering if the Chairman put his faith in the wrong manager. Key results for the team were the 2-1 win against Limerick FC (who finished 3rd) and the 2-2 draw with Longford (who went on to win the First Division).

Team / Player Records

Highest Attendance = 182 vs Finn Harps

Biggest Win = 3-1 Win against SD Galway

Top Goalscorer = 6 goals, Noel McGee

Most Assists = 4, Kevin Williamson

Most Player of the Match = 3, Brian McCarthy

Fans Player of the Year = Mark Sherlock

Key Players

Patrick Jennings (GK) | 30 apps, 43 Conc, 5 Cln Sheets, 6.65 avg |

A solid rock between the posts, without him we would surely have dropped into 7th position and I possibly could have been sacked after only 12 games in charge at the club.

Kevin Williamson (MC) | 28 apps, 4 goals, 4 assists, 1 PoM, 6.62 avg |

My creative force in the midfield and the link between defence and attack, without him I doubt we would have managed to get the ball through to our strikers to put the ball in the net

Mark Sherlock (ST) | 27 apps, 5 goals, 2 assists, 6.70 avg |

Great striker and i'm certain there is more to come from him, also voted Fans Player of the Year

Mark McGoldrick (ST) | 23 apps, 3 goals, 1 assist, 6.58 avg |

Although his stats don't suggest he was a key player for the team, his actions during open play mean I'm desperate to sign him on a permanent basis now his loan has ended

Noel McGee (ST) | 22 apps, 6 goals, 6.48 avg |

Again not a brilliant average rating but he put away a fair share of the clubs goals keeping me in the job.

Next Season

To strengthen the team with a couple of free transfers and find the season an easy challenge than the end of this season. To definitely avoid relegation and to gain a top table position next season, ie 4th or above.

Archived