3 formations, 25 players and 2 matches. Life in the fast lane.

History of a team

My club, Newcastle United, has developed into one unifying force over the last 6 seasons. From the $10k per annum 17 year old defensive midfielder through to my $6.5 million per annum FIFA world player of the year striker, everyone has a place. It's a system where players work their way up the clubs heirachy if they are good enough. Everyone will get a chance, but also will be ruthlessly disposed off if they don’t perform, because there is always someone else ready to take their place.

1stteamsquad.jpg

Not to say that it has all been plain sailing.

I initially wanted to build a cup winning side, as I had never consciously done so since CM 97/98. We all need a challenge to keep the fires stoked. So for years I would rest key players in the league, keeping them fresh for games against Fleetwood and Wimbledon FC. It was fun, and also a great way to develop youth as they were regular getting games against Spurs, Liverpool and Villa . Not great for winning championships, but there were definitely some entertaining games (a 11-0 belter against Bolton comes to mind from a few years ago, with my right back -Isla - getting 5 goals, albeit with 2 penalties). So 4 FA Cups, 4 League Cups, 2 Euro Cups, and a Champions League final later, I’m ready to turn my attention to the league. I’ve always been there or thereabouts over the last few years, coming second on goal difference 2 times running (infuriating!), but this year I’m putting all my concentration on the league.

Last season was probably my worse since the start of the game, with too many draws and a horrible mid-season slump that took me down to 5th place, although I fought back to 3rd over the last couple of games. Injuries, suspensions and my fickle nature with formations took their toll on the team, and a recycling of the team where young players moving up into the first team were replacing the jaded players didn’t help. A great and successful adventure with the Croatian national team also divided my attention. Not my finest hour, so this year I have been focused purely on the team that gave me my name in world football (in game that is…… :o). Being ambushed by Real Sociedad in the 2nd leg of the champions league playoff wasn’t in the plans, however every cloud has a silver lining, as it allowed the team to concentrate fully in the league whilst giving the up-and-comers valuable experience in the euro-cup.

Thats the past, now for the present. I wanted to reflect on my two upcoming matches which take place just before the turn of the year. They really are going to be instrumental in my season, and if I lose both of them it’s going to be a hard race. I’m coming out of a fine run of form, having won 8 our of the last ten and drawing away to Man City and Liverpool. Unfortunately I drew four of the season’s first 8 games, all of which I conceded late. This leaves me 2nd in the league, 4 points behind Man united, who coincidentally is my opponent in 8 days, however I have to face Arsenal first.

fixturesv.jpg

Arsenal away, the first of the tests

Realistically I should expect to beat Arsenal away, due to a number of factors. One is that they are way behind in the title race, languishing in 8th place. They haven’t won in 6 games, and have either drawn or lost 7 out of their last 8. Too me, they look dangerous. Louis Van Gaal has stuck rigidly to a 4-4-2, and lately has been beaten by teams on the counter, especially 4411 formations. Luckily, that is one of my three formations I use. I actually am tempted to use my 442 against them, and I may do so during the match, but I am reluctant for a number of reasons. One of which is that the three last matches Arsenal have lost they have been away, whereas they are at Emirates this time, so I am expecting them to attack a little more.

My second reason I am leaning toward my counter-attacking 4411 is that my best playmaking AML is injured for another 2 weeks, and he is vital for my 442 as he plays in through balls to my strikers and inside forward on the other wing. My other main option on the left, a homegrown regen who has been at the club since the youth intake of 2011 plays best using his pace, strength and determination, as well as his technical winger skills. Perfect to play the wide midfielder role in the 4411, not so much for the 442. I am disregarding my 4231 in this case, as it works best at home or versus weaker teams. Although it might get a run out in-match, we’ll see.

As there is 6 days between Arsenal and Manchester United, I don’t have to think about resting players for the next match, and they have all been rotated heavily over the last few months, so most of the players should be fresh. Now all I have to do is pick my team and wait for the match.

The squad, and how I pick them

Starting from the back, my goalkeeper position is a bit of a headache. I have the current 33yo brazilian national team’s first choice and a young exceptional scottish goalkeeper that I bought of celtic for a million dollars 5 seasons ago. Victor, the Brazilian, has got the experience and the stats, but I like McLeod. For one thing, he has a cool name, and he hasn’t let me down this season. I’ve been playing him a lot recently since I dropped Victor after the first ten games of the season, and I think I’ll keep him on. I may play Victor versus Man United depending on how McLeod goes.

Right back I have a straight choice, Mauricio Isla, a rampaging small Chilean wing back, or a wonder kid regen who I bought from Porto last season. Either one will do the job, but I think I’ll play the youngster, as he has a better defensive outlook. The alternative player always plays on the bench anyway, as they have that valuable asset that I am always on the lookout for, namely, versatility. Marco Sequira plays either fullback position, Isla plays everywhere from attacking midfielder down. He’s also my newly crowned vice captain, for reasons disclosed below.

Left back (a familiar pattern is developing now, is it not?) I have veteran left back Leighton Baines and a wonder kid croatian regen who I got on a free 3 seasons ago. Ivancic is more defensive then baines, although he is twice as fast. I rotate them nearly every game, depending on if I want enthusiasm or experience. As it’ll be a young inexperienced back line this game I’ll play Baines this game and play Ivancic for the big game versus united. He loves the big games.

Centre back I have 6 to choose from, and they all get games. I spent a heap of money on Kyriakos Papadopoulos 3 seasons ago, almost doubling my transfer record. I did it for a number of reasons. One is that he is an absolute beast of a defender that I can build a side around, secondly his mentals are so extreme I had to try him, thirdly is that I asked the board to buy him after a takeover, and they then went out and spent my entire budget on him (40 million eruos….). I guess they didn’t mind going into debt.

A beast of a centre back. Oh board, how I love you

krykios.jpg

I’ll play him, and a young wonder kid who was moaning about first team football a while ago, I played him and he proceeded to score a goal from a throw-in and launched a defence splitting ball and got an assist to his name. I thought he was a defender, but that made me change my mind. Since those heady days 3 months ago he has settled down and taken over from another brazilian international, Manoel, who was dropped after those first ten games. I bought Kirilov for 400k 3 seasons ago.

The next beast, 400k and counting

kirilov.jpg

I’ll probably look at selling Manoel at the end of the season - he is in his prime so I'll get a pretty dollar - and I have a few great defenders coming through, including my defender/defensive midfielder, the Russian Ivan Reznikov. Ivan competes at two levels, Central defence and defensive midfielder in my 4411.

The Russian Sandro

reznikov.jpg

His defensive midfielder competition is primarily Aurio Vidal, but as my preferred creative central midfielder is injured I’ll play Vidal at cm. He can do a job, and is an indispensable member of the team.

Someone who I had high hopes for, and was my captain for 3 seasons, is the belgian Radja Naingollan. I’ve been a bit harsh on Radja, as his mentals, physicals and technicals are absolutely world class, however he runs around like a headless chook and he doesn’t have the jump or heading capability I desire in central midfielder. He really is an outstanding player, but Man United offered 20 million for him. He’ll be gone in 22 days, so I’m not playing him. Actually ever since I stripped the captaincy of him for 3 red cards in a row he’s been a bit shirty, I don’t know why. Hopefully he doesn’t come back to bite me…

Bye bye, been nice to have known you

radja.jpg

My left midfielder is my future captain and soul of the club, who came in through the youth intake my first season. Badelj, who was transfer listed by Man united at the start of season, is currently injured as discussed, so prevents me from playing the 442 or 4231 at its peak.

My right winger will be a new signing of $22 million, Alex Chamberlain. He has scored for fun, and is a versatile player as everyone knows. Was the star of my Southampton team in Fm 2011, and has played his part to perfection this year, cutting in from the right to add a new dimension to the attack. In the 4411 he plays a winger in the rm position.

Attacking midfielder is a trouble slot. According to the assistant manager I have a future Messi regen on my team, and he is coming through in leaps and bounds, and has scored some delightful goals this season. Thats all good, but a player I bought to give him some competition and mentoring, Thiago (barcelona school), has been playing crap. I’ll still give him games, as I do everyone, but I think he’ll be off next season as I have some more youngsters coming through who would love to take his place.

To the attack goes the plaudits, Leandro Damiano everyone knows, 17 million pounds in my first season he has repaid countless times. He’s the captain as everyone loves him. Fifa World player of the years 2 seasons ago. Hot on his strong feet is Carlos Fierro who adds a different dimension from Leandro’s raw power. More style and skills then power, gets regular games. Yaya Sanogo was injured a lot since I bought him at the start of the game, and he unfortunately hasn’t reached his potential, although he flowers in the goals against weaker teams.

The versatile veteran Landon Donovan still scores goals, comes off the bench regularly in any of the front positions.

So thats the team, the squad and the tactics. Now to the game.

The match

Pre-game, I know my team and know their personalities. For the team talk I wanted them to feel confident, but not too much. I have faith in you lifted 9 of the players.

As I was facing a technical player in van persie, I asked the team in pre-game shouts to drop deep and stay on their feet, apart from Van persie.

I figured rightly that van persie would sit back and lay passes for Chamouch, and as such in the opposition instructions I had Van Persie closed down, tight marked and heavy tackling (I’m not a gentleman). I also has one of my central defenders covering, the other stopping, which I had to swap around pre-match as van persie and chamouch were playing on different sides then their last match.

As I said, I expected Arsenal to attack me, so I wanted to sit back and hit them on the break. I expected wrongly. They had chances galore in the first 6 minutes. Not ‘clear-cut-chances’ per se, just had good movement and were playing penetrating passes. We had a couple of counter-attacking passes that were promising, but no clear-cuts.

I firstly brought the dm up to the central midfield spot as Gibson wasn’t in good form and I wanted to hassle him.

The first formation

1stchangeofformation.jpg

I move the left cm either back to dm or where it is in the screenshot depending on opponents attacking midfielders etc.

The tactic itself is pretty self explanatory, the left wide midfielder does through balls whilst the right winger bombs down the line. It all revolves around the cm, with him sometimes named as the playmaker. Short passing, fluid formation, counter attacking, hmmm, reminds me of a lot of modern teams.

That worked well for the next 20 minutes, it was then that I changed formations as their fullbacks were pushing forward and I don’t like that. I changed to my 4231 formation.

The second formation

2ndchange.jpg

This formation works greats if you don't mind attacking a weaker team. I use it push up on teams. It has multiple goal threats, with the attack midfielder in control of the play. The 2 cms stay back at all times, although the right is slightly more advanced.

I very nearly had an elementary goal, alas for the flag. My attacking midfielder was on form, and a great penetrating through ball to the left winger deserved a goal, but never mind, plenty of time.

A missed opportunity

dissallowedgoal.jpg

Next minute, arsenal had scored, with a simple cross producing a goal mouth scramble. A bit of a catalogue of disasters contributed to the goal, including my right back being skinned by anderson, and none picking up an onrushing Ramsey from midfield. The next picture doesn’t look like much, but there is one thing I wanted to point out. Have a look at the comments on my team’s motivation. Everyone’s fired up, thats what I love about my team. They never quit.

Sucker punch

arsenalgoal.jpg

And quit they didn’t. I didn’t change anything tactically, as I thought that we were playing fine, and showed some class so far. We weren’t playing absolutely great, but good enough to see off this team.

So I was proved a minute later, with a delicious, albeit simple, goal. From the kickoff, back to my cm’s who played it amongst themselves for a few passes. Then to my attacking midfielder, who was starting to impose himself on the game. He produces a delicious through ball for damiano, shrugging off two attackers, to bury. Gibson, the Arsenal midfielder, really wasn’t having a good game, so hard tackling on him. It was about this time I changed my shouts to get stuck in, play narrow and use the flanks, as Arsenal were losing discipline in the middle.

The first goal

1stgoal.jpg

2 minutes later I had won the game.

interlude - I hate corner goals, as it automatically gives one the impression that they are using a ‘corner-bug’ or some such. To those, I say look at my team and see how many goals my defenders have scored. Bugger all, and 2 out of the 4 goals my defenders have scored this season have actually been from throw ins. So I’m not a corner cheater, although maybe a kyrkios cheater with his exceptional long throws :cool:.

The mixed delivery from my AM put the ball at the back post, where Kirilov, my CD, out jumped Chamack, which wouldn’t be that difficult, and he put it across the keeper into the back post.

Arrgghh, I hate goals from corners

cornergoal.jpg

At half-time, I said I was pleased with how they were playing, and proceeded to dominate the second half. With 20 minutes to go I changed to a 442, as Di Stasio (the AM) was tired, and I thought I might nick a 3rd goal.

3rd formation

3rdchange.jpg

This formation is nearly exactly the Arsenal formation from Llama3's FM team and tactics guide. I tried it once and it rocked when you need/want another goal. I've changed the passing, marking, pressing, philosophy, but the idea of the two cm's, one going back, the other pressing forward and the roles of the strikers is all his. It works well when you are really trying to get another goal, and that is what I was attempting to do. It also swaps the attack from my other formations, so it can upset an opponents rhythm.

Not to be however, so it finished as it was at half time, 2-1.

Looking back at the game, it was the tactic change from counter to control, as well as the formation change, that won me the game. It wasn’t a classic by any means, and I was disappointed by how many times the dm (reznikov) gave away the ball, but a win is a win is a win.

Krykios paid his way yet again.

Interception king, bad luck that his one missed was arsenal's goal

interceptions.jpg

I wasn't happy with how the team passed, too many incomplete's for me. They're going to have to do better versus Man United.

Not very good passing

passes.jpg

Now onto the battle of the table, as Man U got beaten by Everton, so are only 1 point in front. I’ll be happy with a draw, but hopefully I won’t get beaten. If I do, all is not lost as I’ll be 4 points behind heading into January, not an impossible task by any means, especially with the player I signed straight after Naingollan accepted man u’s terms. He'll give me a new angle of attack when I need it.

The future signing

ticic.jpg

Afraid, a man feels afraid Neil Young, 1971

Yes indeed, I was afraid. I always am when something big is on the line. It felt like this was my moment, 15 days of this save condensed into 1 match. Expect me to lose the one after this. :)

Manchester United play a counter 4411 formation, with hernandez playing as a poacher, latching onto through balls. Rooney plays as a left midfielder, with modric playing as an advanced playmaker in the am slot. Obviously they swap during the game.

I'm pretty comfortable with my defenders being able to either catch up with hernandez or getting him offside, so I was tossing up whether to attack them or go on the counter.

My attacking nature won out, so we ran out in a 4231 formation, with a high d-line and offside trap on. I would put my 2 cd's against anyone, so I didn't change the cd's. I did change baines to Ivancic, as he's much much faster and has a great tackle and aggressive nature, just the thing for Man U's Guy Demerond. On the right I put in Isla, as I wanted Rooney/modric to have to think about defending as well as attacking. Goalkeep went to Victor, the brazilian, because, well, just because.

No other changes anywhere else apart from the mighty russian dropping to the bench and youngster Ross Barkley getting a run. I wasn't happy with Ivans passing last time, and I wanted a teeny bit more creativity in the cm positions.

Team vs Man U

teamsheet.jpg

Isn't it great when what you expected to happen happens. It makes you feel like 'I can beat this game. Until Everton beat you next game.

We scored 2 goals pretty quickly, Damiano getting both. The trident on the left of the cm, am, left winger and striker really play well together, with the eright winger coming in and finishing off moves. The right back bombing forward also gives another dimension.

1st Goal

1stgoal.jpg

Nice interplay between the left winger and the striker, with the 3 midfielders also helping out.

2nd Goal

2ndgoal.jpg

A fierce shot by the right winger is spilled and the striker gets a tap-in.

Overall, we dominated the match, with only an own goal late in the game giving Manchester united a breath of hope.

2-1 at the finish, with us dominating possession, passes everything. Pretty pleased with the result, top of the table sir

The three truths of Football Manager

I have 3 rules when playing Football Manager

1. Always have a plan

even if the plan is wrong, always have one. Without a plan, you won't have a hope, unless your Brazil 1982

2. Always be willing to change your plan

If you go down, or are playing like crap, there is a reason, and not changing anything won't help you win the game, changing too much can also contribute to defeat also....

3. Tell yourself you know why things aren't going well, even if you haven't got the foggiest idea

If you don't know why your suddenly playing like crap, your players definitely won't. It's only a computer game, but hey if your sub-concious is confident it'll come out in your mouse clicks :p

And if you think about delivery, space and time, you've got the game of football covered.

I don't know how you got anything from Chamberlain in FM11, he's pap on my save! I blame the AI!!

He's fine when all you want is anticipation, speed and ability to finish. He didn't develop at all at Arsenal, but when Wolves bought him he was still young enough to get decent stats. And he's an englishman, when I desperately needed one for the home-grown status....

With 2011, he seemed to play above his stats, getting vital goals when I needed them. Eventually Cavani took his place, but he still popped up when I needed him. Lallana and Schneiderlen (spelling???), on the other hand, legends :)

Archived