Sink or Swim in the Premiership

Leo30

28th December

Away V Man Utd

Richardson is illegible for the game so I choose to put Carter in. I also put Kanu on the pitch just hoping that he can produce a vintage performance and give us more options up front. Kamara is in form and Ellington our top scorer deserves a much needed rest. Kirkland returns in between the sticks.

Sir Alex comes across as an arrogant bloke who obviously doesn't see eye to eye with everybody however he comes across to the dug out and shakes my hand "good luck, lee" "Thanks, have a good game" I know he is sarcastic if hes youth team can beat us then hes first team should rollercoast through us.

As thought Kanu makes selection a bit harder with a fine goal on 20 minutes. What a start we lead Man Utd once more however again we throw the lead away, another 3 goals let in Gudjohnson and Ronaldo (x2). Ronaldo's last goal a cracking 40 yard strike that will no doubt win him goal of the month. A spectacular strike. We slide to 14th and its now 5 games lost in a row. Man Utd extend the lead at the top to 6 from Chelsea with Arsenal a further 2 points away. At the bottom Wigan, Blackburn and Sunderland occupy the bottom spaces.

• Replies 319
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a way to bring in the New Year, we learn that the article in last week's newspaper is correct Kieran Richardson will leave the albion on the 11th January and move to Chelsea for a figure of 11.25 million. Will he want to play against them in a couple of days time for us?

35 year old Naybet joins the Baggies for £50,000 from Spurs its a short term measure in a bid to strengthen the back 4. I'm unsure as to whether he will do the job but for that figure we had nothing to lose.

Chelsea are the visitors for todays clash.

Richardson is anxious as he is waiting his move to Chelsea, so I have a quiet word with him "Whats up mate? Worried about your big move, shall I make it easy for you, I'll place you on the sidelines, Darren Carter has been playing well, you are scared that you will put in a performance that is awful and that will ruin your chances of getting in their first 11"

I am not that worried about Richardson leaving its obviously a big loss for us but we can't match bids like that and compete with the big clubs. We should have the depth in the club to survive this season its the long term planning that I am concerned about. Kanu and Kamara start up front.

Mourinho doesn't acknowledge me when I go to shake his hand and wish him well. I just hope that we can turn our bad run around and quickly. I didn't expect to get anything from the game and neither did the fans.

The first half saw us hold on 0-0, Chelsea holding onto the ball and passing it through the middle, however they could find no way past Kirkland who was having a stormer.

You would not beleive the huge roar when Kamara hit the back of the net to make it 1-0 on 67 minutes. Mourinho thumps the side of the dug out in anger, he claims that it was off side. I back down from telling him he is cluthing at straws but sit their with a little grin on my face. The game is all over when Kamara hits his second, his on fire and the game is won 2-0.

We climb back 2 places up the table with Chelsea falling to 3rd. Think we have done Sir Alex a favour here and maybe dented Chelsea's hopes.

Kirkland is man of the match and his clean sheet will have done loads of good for his confidence.

As a short term filler, he'll do a decent job. But in the long run you'll need to get some fast centrebacks to cover those flashy strikers all over the place.

Good luck with the Baggies. I've always had a soft spot for them since the days of Laurie Cunningham and Cyrille Regis icon_smile.gif

Managerial Change in the Midlands

I pick up the local newspaper to read what the press have to say about our emphatic win, however the above headline seems to have dominated the back page of the paper. Surprisingly Paul Merson has packed his bags and left Walsall, hung up his boots and joined Carlise. I find the move a bit strange as Carlise are struggling at the foot of the league a massive 12 points adrift. Walsall are quick to name Mark Hateley as his replacement.

I phone Paul up "You've shocked me a little bit there mate, thought you were happy with the Saddlers, anyway we never did get round to having that welcome drink, maybe when your down in the area we could, I hope everything works out for you bud" Paul was one of the first people to wish me luck when I started so I felt it appropriate to return the gesture.

Our performance takes up the last but one page with the heading Boing Boing at the Hawthorns. The press can not believe that we have won, and to be honest it hasn't sunk in with me yet. The fans are starting to believe its not going to be a relegation dog fight and reportely feel that I am doing a reasonable job. I was hoping we could acheive a top half finish, but the games are coming quick and fast and its important to get a good run going.

Sorry Morinho I didn't shake your hand after the match but you did walk off ahead to fast, I couldn't catch you up, and you didn't look in a good mood.

4th January 2006 Away at the Stadium of Light

Sunderland were in the thick of trouble and or confidence was high following the win over Chelsea.

I keep Richardson on the bench as we have got to get used to playing without him, and keep the pairing up front the same.

Ronnie Wallwork came up with another stunning goal, he only seems to score good goals not simple ones. Confidence is high. We get pegged back from a fluke Sunderland goal. It was that good nobody on or off the pitch knew who had scored but Arca takes the credit.

Sunderland have all the advantage and the ref might as well put a red shirt on as he gifts them their second goal on 71 minutes from Elliott. However we manage to salvage a point with Kamara on 76 minutes. We will take the point back to West Bromwich, its another point towards safety.

Transfer Activity at the Hawthorns

Manager Lee Allen has taken the bold move of signing Charlton reserve striker Francis Jeffers and Bordeaux midfielder Steeve Gustan. Both will move to the club in July.

Allen reports "These are two exciting young players who have international experience. Hopefully they will help us to maintain and improve of course our position within the Premiership. The opportunity was there to sign them and I grasped it quickly, I have high hopes for them, and they want success just as much as I do"

Allen has reportely broke the wage structure to bring Jeffers to the club who will obviously trying to push his way back into the English set up having acheived a solitary cap for the national team.

Inamoto has apparently been shown the door in a 1.8 million transfer deal to Nice. Allen states "I feel for the lad hes a good player with potential it just was not working for him here at the club, he plays well, but not consistent enough we have good players fighting for limited spaces and he lacked that fight."

The move will spark crys of outrage in Japan who have grown fond of the Baggies.

It is rumoured that further players will be shown the door to bring down the massive wage bill.

7th January - FA CUP 3rd Round V Bristol City

FA Cup fever hits the Hawthorns for my first tie in the competition against Bristol City. Although we are firm favourites to win, you have to be careful of the underdog. As we were two divisions higher they had nothing to lose and would fight for every ball.

I look down their team sheet to find an old Baggies favourite Stuart Naylor. Hes in his 40's and been struggling for a club and had found his way to City albeit in the reserves. He should get a good reception today. I also note their front two are capable of scoring goals Stewart and Bridges and tell the back 4 to be careful.

Earnshaw nets the opening goal to relieve some tension from around the ground, a simple tap in which see him celebrate. The strikers are giving me a selection headache now.

We continue to dominate the first half and Bristol are penned into their own half. Shot after Shot being placed at the City goal but there was no way through. We go in at half time.

"Good performance keep it up, don't give them any room box the front two in, get another goal and put the tie safe."

On the hour mark Gera falls to the ground and signals that he needs to come off. Do I put Richardson on, change formation or drop Kamara to just in front of midfield.

I risk changing formation and bring Ellington on and play him up front (4-3-3). He immediately makes an impact and scores 2 quick goals within 10 minutes of coming on. Another selection dilema.

The tie is safe and we could relax even more after 71 minutes when they were reduced to 10 men. We progress through the first hurdle of the cup and await to find out who we have to tackle next.

We sit in the dressing room as the results come in and look to see if there are any major shocks.

Struggling Premiership side Wigan lose away at our local neighbours Wolves 2-1. What a tie that would be. Blackburn another team at the foot of the table lose at home to Ipswich and Luton knock out Charlton.

FA Cup Round 4 Draw

The FA Cup has ben thrown wide open following todays draw with 4 of the top 5 teams playing one another. Arsenal and Chelsea are to face one another and Everton host Man Utd. Liverpool the other top team are already out of the competition have fallen in the last round to Spures.

West Brom travel to Brighton and Wolves travel to Newcastle. Lee Allen comments "The draw has been favourable to us and it gives us the opportunity of progressing further, hopefully we can go a long way in the competition"

Gossip is also going around the ground of a possibe swoop to bring Bradley Wright Phillips to the Hawthorns on loan. We await further developments.

14th January 2006

Away @ Anfield V Liverpool

A few changes had to be made following our cup win last week. Kirkland was illegible so he was replaced by Kusczczak. Gera was still struggling with a slight knock so a surprise start for Dean Shiels who has started to attract interest from Championship battlers Reading in a possible loan deal. Jason Koumas is promoted surprisingly to onto the bench following a decent run of form in the reserves.

Kanu is out with the flu possibly caused to the long amounts of time he is sitting still on the bench.

After 10 minutes we find ourselves 2-0 down, I am angry a roasting was going to come sooner or later, we hadn't been hammered all season and it didn't look promising here. Gerrard knocks in his 2nd of the game to make it 3-0, I decide to make changes as Wallwork was throwing himself into every challenge and had already been shown the yellow card, I thought it was best to take him off or he will be heading for the changing room early. I wish I could leave and go as I couldn't bear to look at the score board.

Albrechsten hadn't really got into the game so I offered Naybet a piece of the action and Wallwork and Kamara were replaced by Ellington and Koumas.

Dean Shiels scores his first goal for the Baggies which is soon followed by a goal from Nathan Ellington. We are back in the game and Liverpool are panicking. 10 minutes late and a penalty for the Baggies is turned down. We continue to push forward looking for that dramatic equaliser trying to salvage something from the game. The final whistle is heard and the Liverpool fans breath a sigh of relief, we have done ourselves justice and can prove we are no pushovers. If only we could have got off to a decent start.

I ask Joy to call Dean Shiels, he's at home following the Liverpool game exhausted possibly ue to him lacking in match fitness.

"Hi Dean, Lee here, just thought I'd let you know that Reading have made approach their offering a 6 month loan deal in a bid for you to help them climb out the relegation zone. What you reckon?"

I had placed Dean on the loan list due to his limited appearances at the club, however the decision was made harder following his goal and performance on Saturday against Liverpool.

"Don't know boss, I would gain valuable experience but I have just got my feet under the table here"

"Ok, we'll think about it, sleep on it and let me know your thoughts in the morning, I'll think about it as well, I know what decision I will be taking just come and see me and we'll discuss it further"

I hadn't made a decison, I wanted the lad to go and get experience as I couldn't promise him first team football every week (yet) but he did well on Saturday was it a one off??

It is pleased to write that Paul Robinson has singed a new 3 year deal at the Hawthorns today.

Robinson could not resist the offer placed on the table and immediately signed on the doted line. He stated that the club was very ambitious and was starting to progress to the levels that it used to acheive. Manager Lee Allen is over the moon by the decision and even hinted that Robinson could go further. "He's a young lad in fine form, theres no reason why Sven shouldn't be looking at him"

"Come in" "Oh Hi Deano, how you doing?"

"Boss, I didn't sleep well last night thinking, I just don't know what to do"

"Ok, calm down, lets go through it logically, but first I need to let you know something, its going to make the decision harder."

"Why?"

"Preston have come in as well, they want you for 6 months"

"Oh..."

"They are in the playoffs you are obviously been touted as a championship player, we both know that your not fully ready for a full season in the premiership, you agree?"

"Yeah but.."

"Listen, I have put the ball back in their court, you need to boost your match fitness I will allow you to go to any of these clubs for a period of 1 month and 1 month only. You return to us with matches under your belt match fit and raring to go, how does that sound?"

"Well..."

"Its in both our interests, I can't have you on the side lines getting cold every week when you could be playing at a reasonable level, I'll keep you updated, its for your own good, I promise you that"

Martin Albrechsten today has signed a new 2 year deal at the club ending speculation whether he would be returning to Norway.

West Brom have also added Man City forward Bradley Wright Phillips to the playing squad on a 3 month deal and Dean Shiels is awaiting response following agreeing to go on loan for 1 month to Reading or Preston.

West Brom must brace themselves for another season of relegation battle following this 1-0 defeat against bottom of the table Wigan.

Wigan goalkeeper Pollitt played an important role in his team success making numerous point blank saves.

Baggies manager Allen was disappointed about the result and told reporters "Its games like these that make or break your season, we should win them comfortably. The team that always come up face a difficult time and we have given Wigan a life line, credit to Paul Jewell and his colleagues for their victory."

Allen kept his team in the dressing room pointing at the TV monitor which showed that the Baggies were now just 4 points from the drop zone but still in a healthy position of 13th. "Its getting tight down there and I don't want to have to go through what you lot did last year, make it easy for yourselves and get points on the board"

West Brom turn their attentions to the FA Cup this weekend with a trip to Brighton. Mark Mcghee's men may fancy their chances against the Albion who's league form just lately has been inconsistent. Brighton are currently occupying a place just outside the playoffs 3 points adrift of 4th place.

Sky Sports Football

"There's a goal at the Withdean Stadium, lets go and find out the latest"

"Yeah, 6 minutes on the clock and Leon Knight has put the home side in front, he runs straight through the middle of defence and slots the ball under Kirkland no chance for the goalie. Potential upset here but its still early days"

More goal action at Brighton.....

"Darren Ward failed to clear the ball following a back pass and it was easily intercepted by Earnshaw to level the scores. Albion have imprved since they fell behind and Earnshaw and Gera are lively for the Baggies. Brighton have it all to do in the second half."

Scores level at Brighton lets go and have a look at the other half time scores involving the Premiership clubs.....

Newcastle 2 Wolves 0

Portsmouth 1 Sheff Utd 0

Rotherham 0 Birmingham 5

Second half action from Brighton....

"Gera chips the ball into the penalty area and its met by the head of Earnshaw for his second goal of the game, Albion have made one change aking off Scimeca and replacing him with Darren Moore for his first start of the season. I can't see anyway back for Brighton"

5 minutes later....

"Koumas passes through the middle and Ellington beats the off side trap, Ward is stranded 3-1 to the Baggies."

Final Score round up

Barnsley 1 Fulham 1 - last minute goal from Barnsley forces a replay.

Cardiff 3 Coventry 1

Crystal Palace 2 Middlesborough 2

Derby 2 Stoke 0

Ipswich 0 Southampton 1

Luton 3 Leicester 1

Newcastle 2 Wolves 0

Nottm Forest 1 Crewe 0

Portsmouth 2 Sheff Utd 1

QPR 2 Norwich 1

Rotherham 2 Birmingham 5

Barnsley 0 Fulham 1

Other FA Cup Results

Arsenal 2 Chelsea 0

Everton 2 Man Utd 2

Sunderland 1 Tottenham 2

West Ham 0 Man City 0

Injury News

Ellington suffers sprained ankle and could be out for upto 2 months, its bad news for the Baggies losing their top scorer at this stage of the season but it gives the likes of Kanu an ideal opportunity to show what he's capable of.

Manager gossip

It is rumoured that the Chelsea board are losingtheir patience with Mourinho and its being hinted that a bad result in his next game could result him getting his P45.

FA Cup 5th Round Draw

West Brom land the hardest tie possible with an away trip to Arsenal.

Thanks for the support guys.. Happy New Year to you all

Its another fine morning and I realise that football has taken over my life. Family and Friends are now second best in my life and that should not be the case. I decide to hold a party. I invite all the family and a few friends. Friends in the football world had become quite scarce. Bryan had moved to Norwich, Andy was mad as he wasn't in the first team anyway I don't invite anybody to do with footie, except Joy.

Joy is proving to be a big hit, to be honest she was a right pain at first nosy but her heart is in the right place and she looks after my missus when she comes to the ground.

Drink after drink flows and I stop after my 10th pint. I have a busy day in the office tomorrow and the Board have called a meeting. I have not got a clue and try and get information from Joy she is bound to know. "Sorry I don't" "Yeah right you know everything at the club" "Shut up Lee, you've had to much to drink, you'll regret it in the morning"

What did she mean by that? Was something in the saying did she know something and wasn't going to say something or am I just paranoid.

the guests leave just after 1.00 in the morning and I feel rough, the bowl at the side of the bed, Jess looks across "You'll never learn"

I wake up the head is throbbing, can't recall much of last night all that i'm aware of is questioning Joy about my big meeting this morning with the Board. I feel unfit to drive and Jess orders me a taxi as she moans that its self inflicted and why should she be put out. I try and apologise but it just gets her back up even more looks like its a bunch of flowers on the way home tonight to try and sweet talk my way back into the good books.

The taxi drops me off on the main Birmingham Road and I walk through the Jeff Astle gates into the main stand. I walk into Joy's office where a cup of black coffee awaits me "I saw you strolling across the car park and it looks like you need this, you look a bit rough if you don't mind me saying, at least you have 1/2 hour to try and make yourself look half decent for the board" "Thanks Joy, and I apologise for last night I wasn't the perfect host" "Its ok Lee, just don't question me about work all the time, I don't know everything and would honestly tell you if I knew what was going on, I'm sure you'll be ok, and theres nothing to worry about" "Hope so".

I can hear the Board discusing issues as I walk towards the Boardroom door, theres a few raised voices as I knock and enter. I walk in and the Board stand up. "Sit down Monty, how you doing?" Hope this is not going to be question time as I just couldn't cope with it. "We wanted to see you as we have a few concerns about the financial situation we have a huge wage bill and we just can't keep splashing money out all the time"

"Ok, so what you want me to do?"

"We need to off load a few players"

"What? You want me to sell a few players"

"Well sell, loan, free, do anyting just reduce the wage bill."

"And if I don't?"

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it, you have been given instructions now follow them, or you'll be back here in front of us again"

"Ok, see what I can do, but its not going to be easy"

"We'll see"

"Is that it?"

"Why is there something you wanted to ask?"

"No..." I quickly stand up the head still hurting and my brow is wringing wet with sweat. How was I going to reduce the wage bill, I wanted to keep a strong squad not reduce it to suit the board.

I can go back to my office and Joy phones down, "Another coffee?"

I sip the coffee and stare into space. I have had a grilling off the board, it wasn't bad but I need to abide with their comments or I could find myself in trouble. Overspending and non-compliance to budgets has always been my downfall and I needed to tighten the financial situation of the club up. It wasn't bad I mean we had sold Inamoto for 1.8million so there was money in the pot but the wage bill was ridiculously high and that was no fault than my own.

So not only had I the relegation dog fight to contend with I had the Board on my back. The transfer deadline had passed and we had to play Tottenham.

1st February 2006

Tottenham away. Not the easiest places to go and get a result, we didn't losing 1-0 but it was a good solid performance. There was 2 disappointing moments in the match and they both involve Darren Carter, how a player can miss 2 penalties is unbelievable he will be relieved of his penalty taking duties with immediate effect.

If those penalties had been converted it would have been another 3 points in the bag. Its no good reflecting on what could have been and it was important that the players understood this.

Its 5 days since the Board last saw me, and I get a call back into the Board Room. I remain optimistic and have already got my eyes on the newspapers awaiting any vacancies should my P45 be thrust into my hands.

"Morning" an echoed greeting from the Board

"Hi" a nervous response back

"We have been considering things at the club and have decided that it is in the best interests at present to offer you an extended contract"

So from thinking of getting the sack I get a new contract WOW.

"Are you interested in discussing the terms of the contract?"

"Of course I'm enjoying it here, its a challenge and I'm finding my feet."

"The fans are loving it, we are pleased however you must remember money doesn't grow on trees Lee and this is reflected in your terms"

A piece of paper is thrust under my nose.

The wage £14,500 per week, I togle with how much they allow for wages and we decide to rise it to what our current expenditure is, so realistically we can't purchase any player unless one goes. Thats a simple rule to adhere to.

My signature is placed on the contract and I'm signed by the club until 2010.

The press are constantly hanging around the ground at present, and interview Kamara on his way out of the ground. News has filtered through about me signing this new contract and he explains to them that he agrees with the board that it is a wise decision to extend my contract as they believe I am capable of winning things. What a compliment!

5th February 2006

Home V Aston Villa

30,455 crammed into the Hawthorns today. I am not one to normally moan about referees but Uriah Rennie ruined the game, he booked 5 Baggies players and sent Johnathan Greening off for two yellow cards.

The match was turned around following Greenings dismissal and it eventually resulted in us losing 2-1, this after going ahead thanks to Robbie Earnshaw goal.

I am struggling now confidence is low and we are getting sucked in near the bottom of the table.

I'm still seething over the referee over the previous match, his decisions has now forced to make numerous changes ready for our FA Cup 5th round tie against Arsenal.

Arsenal were beaten by the Albion 3-1 at the last meeting and I'll be lucky to come anyway with anything from Highbury. The match is in front of the cameras and focusing on a team who is on a 8 match unbeaten run, our form has been dismissal the worst in the Premiership in fact.

3 minutes gone and there is a gasp from the fans the ball is in the Arsenal net from Earnshaw the Baggies crowd are wild, until a sigh of relief can be heard from the home fans as the linesman signals off side.

Both sides are unlucky not to have taken the lead early on and the deadlock was not broken until the 45th minute. A wonderful pass from the right wing from Gera land nicely on the end of Darren Carter's foot to put the underdogs 1-0 up at half time. Could West Brom defeat Arsenal (again!)

70 minutes has gone and Kanu scores against his former club, theres a sense of an upset at Highbury.

89 minutes and Arsenal pull a goal back, its gripping stuff.

The final whistle goes and Wenger is the first to congratulate me the players can't believe it and neither can I. Realistically we were lucky to win, the Cup run is still going, its more money in the pot and we have knocked out one of the fancied teams.

Draw for FA Cup 6th Round is made today.

Man Utd V Newcastle

Birmingham or West Ham V West Brom

Sunderland V Crystal Palace

Portsmouth V Derby

Lee Allen was interviewed by Central News following the draw and made the following comments

"Well, at least we missed the big boys, and with them playing one another it makes the competition even more capable of winning than before. Whoever we play in the next round will be favourites to beat us because of the home advantage but we have shown everybody we can beat the best having beaten Arsenal in the previous round. I am pleased with our cup runs this season and it is always good to do well in the FA Cup, one day we may even lift it."

Dean Shiels returns from his loan spell and pops into see me.

"How was it?"

"Not good boss, in fact I felt it was a waste of time going, I got injured and didn't get many first team games, I'm back and ready to fight for my place"

"Thats good, sorry it didn't work out but it was worth a go"

Denano will be more reluctant to go next time should an opportunity arise. He is still not in my first team plans but he's only a youngster, but one with a promising future ahead of him.

2nd March 2006

With the return of Deano I decide that Bradley Wright Phillips will not feature in my short term plans and decide to terminate his loan contract with immediate effect. He returns to Manchester City.

4th March 2006

Away V Manchester City

Watched by a big crowd of over 47,000 we perform way above our expectations and manage to hold on till half time 0-0.

In the dressing room I praise all the players and convince them that a point is better than nothing so pleaded with them not to do anything stupid.

Straight after the kick off a good flowing movement by City resulted in Darius Vassell netting the only goal of the game. Good performance all around in particular from Gera and Wallwork.

The defeat sees us drop to 14th and now only 2 points away from the dreaded drop zone.

8th March 2006

The games are coming quick and fast and its anoter trip up north to Middlesborough. They lie just below us in the league so its a real 6 point battle.

Again we manage to hold on in the first half and the score remains 0-0 and once again straight from kick off theres a goal Louis Saha finds the net. Boro extend their lead on 56 minutes when Saha scores his second of the match. We manage to pull a goal back in the 70th minute with a neatly placed shot from Earnshaw, but the Baggies were unable to get anything from the game. Final score 2-1 to the Boro.

Bad news for the Baggies with Koumas picking up a bruised thigh and could be out for up to 2 weeks and we fall another place to 15th.

11th March 2006

With the team sruggling a visit from Newcastle United was never going to be an easy game. 30,150 witnessed the most boring game of football ever witnessed but I'm not complaining. A 0-0 draw is acceptable and its another point for the Baggies.

Bad news as Carter has to go off the pitch injured and we await the physio news.

Souness leaves his team in the dressing room after the match angry with his teams performance, I honestly can't see what the problem is, we deserve the point.

With 9 matches left to play West Brom find themselves 3 points away from the dreaded drop zone.

It looks like Sunderland face the drop and are 6 points away from safety with Fulham and Wigan occupying the other relegation spaces. The bottom 10 teams are not safe and a bad run of results could see any one of the following teams slip down the table. Bolton, West Ham, Charlton, Middlesborough, West Brom, Birmningham, Blackburn are close by and the bottom 3 will be looking to catch any of these teams. Meanwhile at the top....

Arsenal are 1 point clear from Manchester Utd who are 2 points clear of Chelsea. Liverpool are further back in 4th but there is distance from 5th placed Everton who head the chasing pack.

Nigel pops his head around the door, "you got 5 minutes?"

"Yeah sure, whats up?"

"Just thought I'd let you know Russell (Hoult) is not happy about the limited number of starts he's had in the first team"

"Oh, wonder when that one was coming, we have 3 good keepers at the club and at present he's third choice, you agree?"

"Well, he's been playing ok in the reserves nothing special"

"There you go then, I'm happy with Thomas and Chris at present, he needs to shine in the reserves before we consider him, let me know if the situation needs reviewing"

"Ok, see you later boss"

18th March 2006

A must win gamne for the Albion as they face relegation threatened Fulham. This is what you call a battle of survival.

Craven Cottage is humming and the players are ready to do battle.

21 minutes into the game and some good passing from the baggies sees Robbie Earnshaw make the score 1-0.

The goal is soon wiped out on 24 minutes by Perez, and a dubious penalty for the Albion on 27 minutes was converted by Earnshaw a dramatic first half hour.

Wallwork injured on 53 minutes and he is replaced by Jonathan Greening.

Looks like the points are coming back to the Midlands Gera crosses and Carter heads in to make it 3-1 after 87 minutes.

Lee Allen adds "The lads have done really well and have proved how much they want to stay in the Premiership, we are still not safe but it is vital to pick something up from the teams in the drop zone, failure to do so and they would soon overtake you and leave you in trouble. I can't single anybody out but the lads all done West Brom really proud."

Its not all good news for the Albion this week with Ellington suffering a gashed leg and he could be out for upto 3 weeks.

Earnshaw could be out for 5 days following a bruised head and Wallworks hip injruy needs specialist treatment 2 and 3 months.

Allen comments "The blows to Ellington and Earnshaw are a blow but we have players who can replace them, whereas Wallwork has had a wonderful season and its going to take a special player to match the consistent form that he gives us every week."

We face a little break from the Premiership and turn our attentions to the FA Cup 6th Round where we face a short trip to St Andrews and Birmingham City. We must fancy our chances as they are below us in the league but they defeated Arsenal 4-1 on last week so there confidence is high. Police presence has been stepped up with the threat of violence following an internet scandal.

Lee Allen is forced to make several changes following the injuries from Saturday. Koumas and Greening make the starting line up in the centre of midfield. Kamara moves up front and will be accompanied by Kanu.

21 minutes pass and Kamara nets a close tap in following a poor clearance from the Blues.

Koumas does himself no favours as a raised foot in the box leads to a penalty that was converted by Melchoit and Forsell scores on 32 minutes 2-1 to the Blues.

We go in a thalf time 2-1 down and I'm fuming with Koumas and decide to take him off bringing on inexperienced Neumayr for a rare performance.

53 minutes Albrechsten floats in a free kick which is met by the head of Carter who heads home a goal against his former club 2-2.

Final score 2-2 and a replay at the Hawthorns.

No crowd trouble followed the game. Thank god.

The Toffees of Everton travel to the Hawthorns in what on paper should be a close game. Everton are lying in 5th place and having a season that is exceeding their expectations.

West Brom are penned in their own half right from the kick off and James Beattie scores 3 wonderful first half strikes to end the game early. West Brom can't deal with his pace and skill as he weaves in and out of the defence.

The only consolation for the Albion was a goal for young Dean Sheils to reduce the deficit to 3-1.

Lee Allen comments "I think the players have got the cup on their minds as this performance was way below average. Its good we are still in the cup but we need to make sure that we are safe in the league first. The premiership is and will be our priority and we should not be concentrating on the cup until we are safe"

Birmingham make the short trip across the city for the replay. They were inconsistent like us and had just been thrashed against Charlton.

Police were again high in presence and we were informed of a number of arrests outside the ground prior to kick off. "Look lads we need to concentrate whats going on the pitch get your heads down and don't worry about whats happening off it, enjoy it, you've done well to get here."

The atmosphere is hostile and both teams want victory so bad, both are having an average season in the league and neither want their cup run to come to an end.

The first half sees a bright side for the Albion but as the game progresses its Birmingham that look the most threatening. Both sides have chances to open the scoring but both teams goalies are on form.

The half time team talk must have spurred the Albion on as Jonathan Greening slices home a goal and the Baggies fans are cheering like they've never done so before.

Its Blues under pressure and Robbie Earnshaw seals the victory late on. We progress to play Portsmouth at Wembley in the Semi Final with a guranteed pay cheque of £400,000, that should keep the Board quiet for another couple of weeks.

Today sees the first team relegated and its Carlise. Paul Merson was unable to safe the club from returning quickly to the Conference.

The football headlines in the local paper the following day do not focus on the performance of the football players but on the disgraceful behaviour of both sets of fans, pictures of youths smashing windows, fighting and jeering at one another hit the tabloids and its not a good advertisement for both sets of fans. The TV van gets vandalised outside the ground and Steve Bruce and myself issue a mutual press release highlighting how disappointed we are.

"We do not know who the instigators of this trouble are, but they will get caught and dealt with appropriately both clubs will be taking tough measures against any fan involved in these disgraceful scenes, the game of football is supposed to be an enjoyable game and you cannot enjoy it with people like this involved.

Transfer News.

Lee Allen is certainly looking for a goalkeeper, a bid for current keeper Chris Kirkland was accepted by Liverpool however a negative response was received from the player saying that he would not even consider coming to the Hawthorns on a permanent basis. Allen soon turns his attention to Stefan Postman who immediately signs on the dotted line and will join the club in July.

We travel to Bolton who are a team within our sight we can overtake them should we win.

Sam Allardyce has the potential to manage a bigger club than Bolton but has done a wonderful job for them so far, I got the impression from our general chit chat before the game that he did not like me, he was so stern looking, and he was standing on the touch line shouting his orders. I sat quietly in the dug out observing what was going on. The first half ends and we are lucky to be going in at 0-0 they have all the ball and the shots on goal we are digging deep pulling players behind the ball.

I try and offer encouragement at half time and the half time team talk pays off with Earnshaw netting a simple tap in following a poor back pass.

Speed then fouls Earnshaw in the box which Carter converts for his 5th goal of the season.

Allen comments "That was a good result we are moving nicely away from the drop zone, another couple of points and we will be safe. The lads have done well and dug deep today, and I think that the best team won"

Archived