• Network Games - Scouting priorities gets cleared upon saving / reloading game

Grez
    • Public Status: Under Review Files Uploaded: None

Hi,

This is a bug I've been aware of for a couple of years and has affected several online games I have played.

The issue is that after setting up scouting priorities (not assignments, actual individual scouting priorities - for example when you click "scout fully" on a player) they are sometimes lost upon saving and reloading the game when playing online.

Steps to reproduce:

As far as we can tell it seems to happen most often when a player leaves the game before it is saved.

For example - I set up my scouting priorities and then we decide to stop playing, I leave the game, and then the host saves and closes the game. When we continue the game there's a good chance that I will have an empty list of scouting priorities.

It never seems to happen to the host, and I don't think it happens to players if they are online at the time of the game being saved. We have also tried having the host take control of a disconnected manager before saving, and this seems to be a successful workaround, so I'm fairly confident the issue is with offline managers - just not 100% sure of the exact circumstances where this will happen because it's not always happening.

There's no value in me attaching a save game here as it needs two+ players to experiment saving/reloading a network game.

Cheers

Grez

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

The main reason it's problematic is one of the best ways to ensure a multiplayer game moves quickly is to do all of your scouting setup / staff setup etc while people are offline, and then try to play through your games when people are online.

We keep the save in a shared Dropbox, and anyone can log on at any time to scout.

This bug means that it's more difficult to keep the save flowing. People end up with their scouting priorities getting wiped out at random times unless you're very careful about when you save / making sure you take control of every manager when you save.

On 24/08/2023 at 14:46, Zachary Whyte said:

Thank you for the detailed information, we will investigate this further.

Just as a follow up - I think I was wrong about what's happening.

We noticed that the scouting priorities were missing after save/reload, so we assumed that was related to the issue, but I don't think that's true.

We've noticed that during our network game (not only after load) the scouting priorities seem to disappear, but if you continue the game a few times they reappear later (perhaps the next day). So it's actually more of a display issue with information being temporarily lost from the UI.

It still only seems to be happening to the non-hosting players.

Sorry for the confusion and hope that helps.

Grez

Edited by Grez