• Matchengine allows not enough goals to be scored

hoenieg
    • Public Status: Need More Info Files Uploaded: None

The match engine overall allows to little goals to be scored. This leads to unrealistic tables, where the AI can win the Serie A with only 42 goals:

I admit that historically the Serie A does not produce the highest number of scored goals but in the last 20 years the lowest amount to win the competition was 65 (Milan, 2010/11, Source: transfermark.de).

If we count the goals and divide them by the number of games the result is 2.11, which is not the lowest number ever but far lower than every season in the nearer past.

I myself did some tests with the German Bundesliga, which produced the following Box Plot. The History labeled data consist of all Bundesliga seasons that came before the 2013/14 season. The last 10 years include season 2013/14 to the recent one 2022/23. And then I simulated 10 years into the future with FM 23 full release to compare. I think the number of goals scored is by far too low. All of the simulation was done without any intervention on my side and only AI coaches/managers doing their job with the standard database.

The distance to realistic data is around 20% which is too high to blame on the small sample size in my opinion.

Picture1.png

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

What I forgot to add:

4 of the 10 Seasons simulated in FM 23 would be the lowest goal scoring Bundesliga seasons ever.

The highest goalscoring season in the simulation would be the 7th (out of 60) lowest Bundesliga season ever.

I have also noticed this. It was brought up here as well. 

Haven't seen it mentioned in too many other places. It's not game breaking, but it does make me not as invested in the game.

Yeah, I was half way through the first season when I saw the lack of goals across all competitions. I honestly lost any desire to keep playing. I like the realism that this game provides, but just knowing that the goals scored is way too unrealistic just kills it for me.

• Administrators

Appreciate it's been a while, but can I ask how you're finding these sort of issues on the game since the turn of the year? Have things improved/got worse/much the same?

Let us know either way and I'll make sure the match team is made aware in case any further changes are required.

Hello everyone 👋🏻 in short, I'm still playing fm 23. Tell me, how to fix the problem with the performance of teams of all leagues? For example, in Serie A, the team scores no more than 50+-60 goals in a season. The average number of goals is much less ..