• League of Ireland teams spending much more on transfers than would be expected

ZombieOdin
    • Public Status: Under Review Screenshot: Save Game: Jim Driscoll - Cork City 20231030.fm Files Uploaded: Save Game, Screenshot

Admittedly the Transfermarkt data for League of Ireland clubs is... lacking, but typically there's only a few fee-based transfer arrivals within the League a year. In the full Transfermarkt database there's 14 examples of 25k plus Euro transfers in the 25 plus years of data they have for the League. I'm seeing 6 in the second winter transfer window of my current beta save there's 6 cases there alone (only one of which is me), in addition to 8 in the first year of the save.

There also seems to be fewer transfers from the League of Ireland to England than would be expected (no fee based transfers to England, only one to Scotland).

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Looks like it’s still present in the live game. I set up a save for Cork City post-relegation and had Shams bid €520k for Keating and Hakkinen after I was promoted; I could see maybe the €120k that they bid for Hakkinen being the going price for Keating, but €400k for a 29 year old LOI striker and paying 6x for Hakkinen what they just paid for Honohan feels very off.

It is a hard balancing act to get finances for LOI clubs spot on and it goes deeper than just club balances / transfer budgets.

Shamrock Rovers have a transfer budget of 100k in the game. I think that's pretty realistic.

They're half owned by Supporters/Dermot Desmond and have serious backing behind them.

The problem you get is say a club does well in Europe or season passes and their budget changes, then further finances can become available etc.

I got promoted with Galway United in my game and my budget got increased substantially and I was able to balance my budget to give me bigger wriggle room in the transfer market.

This isn't going to be easily resolved through small little tweaks in budgets.

No being smart, but there is no point comparing Honohan's fee to Hakkinen. That's a compensation fee. If Honohan was under contract, Cork City would've commanded a much higher fee than that.