• Tight Marking opposition instruction ineffective and often completely ignored

gunnersguy

This one example is from a game in which I told my RCM to mark to their LCB. I know this will pull him out of position and I don't expect him to do it all the time because that wouldn't make any sense, but I expect in the buildup for him to stay close and press ( which teams do irl) but most of the time he does nothing, and often stands on top of one of the opposition midfielder and has no interest in the centreback opposite him (see attachment). I don't expect him to solely tight mark/ press the centre back but you can recreate it yourself and he shows almost no interest at all 

I know you may say that it is simply not compatible with the position he playing in. The thing that makes me think this is not working as intended is that at half time in this game, I decided to get my left winger to mark one of the centrebacks and tell my right back to mark their left back with the hope of pushing my team up in the press. However, i accidentally set him to mark the other right back. This led him to, quite understandably, bomb halfway across the pitch, stand in complete no-man-lands and then hold hands with my left back! ( see attachment and PKM).

If my right back is willing to completely vacate his position if I tell him, why can't my midfielder press/ tight mark the centre-back opposite him? One or both of these has to be a bug. 

Right midfield.JPG

Right back.JPG

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Do SI usually patch the game later on its development or wait to improve on their next game? This is a genuine question and I'm not being sarky. Don't want to sit around hoping they will patch something and rather try and work around it. Thank you.

I really hope SI look at this because it isn't working as it should be. 

One example is; if you tell your AMC to mark one of their centrebacks, he just wont. You can try it yourself and for some reason, he will tight-mark their defensive midfielder and 90% of the time go nowhere near the player you have told him to mark. so frustrating 

Honestly, I think I'm just going knock FM24 on the head if this doesn't get sorted. Once you notice this in-game you won't be able to unsee it and it will drive you mad.

You just can't press high and consistently have high possession like almost all top teams do in the world. If the opposition manager's style of play is passing it around the back you will struggle to get 55+ possession at home, even against far weaker teams. You players have no urgency to get the ball back and ignore the opposition instructions you have set.If you want to achieve that style of football it's just not possible. 

There are a couple of posts pointing out essentially the same issues and SI hasn't responded or responded with just a token response. 

Yes it is frustrating, it makes the game unenjoyable. Proper high press is bad in the game, your players often refuse to press at all despite being instructed to press intensely, and their positioning is way too deep. If the AI wants to play out from the back it can do it very easily and dominate possession against you with a weaker team. I tried to play a possession based high pressure attacking style, and I was disappointed becasue of the above. Then I tried specifically and tightly marking their defenders, and my players completely ignored it. 

Also almost every team uses an inverted fullback and/or inverted wingbacks or a three at the back formation which doesn't seem too realistic to me.

I guess SI is too busy counting money to care about this.

Edited by szmd92