• Match engine choppy stutter ever since I upgraded my PC

PolterGijs
    • Public Status: Info Provided Save Game: https://oc.sigames.com/owncloud/index.php/s/Kzvhd0MdU3v4Nv4 Files Uploaded: Save Game

Hello,

Last summer I was forced to change parts in my PC, I took advantage of this by upgrading it a bit. I went from a I7-8700K with a 1060 6GB to a AMD 5700x and an AMD 6750 XT GPU. My FM game(s) are installed on my C drive, a M.2 SSD. I also have 32 GB DDR4 ram, so no apparent reason to have any lag.

Anyways, ever since I did the upgrade my FM games have been running far worse. Outside of the match engine everything's fine, but during a match the animation will hang and stutter, as if I am running it on insufficient hardware. It's hard to describe, it's not typical fps loss. It's as if the game has trouble using my hardware for some reason. I first started noticing this in FM22, this summer. I figured the issue must've been fixed for any of the next games, but both FM23 and FM24 have the same issue. It really is odd, as these are the only games I have performance related issues with. More demanding games like Red Dead 2, The Witcher 3 or Cyberpunk all run flawless.

Something to note is that during the match engine, my hardware isn't being utilized fully. There's no 100% CPU or GPU usage or anything like that. I have tried making a new save, cleaning my documents folder, reinstalling my drivers, updating OS and drivers, reinstalling the game, verifying game cache, disabling/enabling vsync etc. I have a freesync compatible monitor which is 144 HZ, 1080P. Locking the game to 60 FPS helps a bit, but only for a little while. It also makes the stutter look even worse.

I had previously sent an email, but in the reply I was asked to  ask the question here. I could try to record some of it and share it here, if that's necessary!

Thank you!

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

7 hours ago, Zachary Whyte said:

Hello, can you look into the steps linked below and see if any of the recommendations help you. 

https://support.sega.com/hc/en-gb/articles/19429090231185-What-should-I-do-if-I-m-seeing-poor-match-engine-performance-in-Football-Manager-

Hi! Thank you for your comment. I have come across this article before, I think during my Reddit browsing to find fixes for the specific issue. While they manage to temporarily improve the performance, it will happen quit quick again. I didn't have any of these issues on worse components, so I feel like it must have something to do with the fact that I have AMD, somehow.

Anyways, I came across this before and made a support ticket because it didn't help. Basically SI told me to just make a post here, so that's the story :)

• SI Staff

Thank you for the update.

Unfortunately, due to where we are in the development cycle this is just not something we can look into at this stage.

Without access to a device with these exact specifications we'd be taking a stab in the dark. 

With the switch to Unity Engine for FM25 we can do further testing and look to get a setup similar to yours. 

I would suggest continuing to tinker with different settings in-game, on your PC and Monitor to see if you can find a good balance.

"I would suggest continuing to tinker with different settings in-game, on your PC and Monitor to see if you can find a good balance."

This is not an acceptable reply to a customer who has paid for a game that does not work as intended.  It is up to the developers to fix the problem, not tell customers to fix it themselves.