• Donovan Pines should be black not white

sullg26535
    • Public Status: Open Files Uploaded: None

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

• SI Staff

He is actually in the DB as African American with a skin tone of 12, so he should not be appearing as white.  This seems to be a bug, rather than a data issue.

9 hours ago, Al Clark said:

He is actually in the DB as African American with a skin tone of 12, so he should not be appearing as white.  This seems to be a bug, rather than a data issue.

From my knowledge, the ethnicity setting is not exactly related to skin tone setting, but please correct me if I'm wrong. The skin tone setting just seems to be from lightest (1) to darkest, (20) regardless of ethnicity.  When you look at other players with this same skin tone of 12 based in the USA with no set ethnicity, the majority of these players are Hispanic.

image.png.b6e7fe32a47071d026b6d24cf174301c.png

When you look at set African ethnicity players with skin tone 12 based in the USA besides Pines, most of these are players who are of visible mixed race in real life. The exception being Andre Reynolds, who's skin tone should also be fixed to a darker tone. Pines' skin tone is nowhere near as light as these players, so having his skin tone set at 12 seems to be an inaccuracy when you consider the other players who also have their skin tone set to 12.

image.png.2d80ea968b8976e977bf85d1200bc44b.png

Notice how only about 20 players have their skin tone set this light, despite there being around a thousand USA-based African ethnicity players in the database with darker set skin tones.

Keep in mind, in the pre-game editor provided to players, it shows exactly how a player's set skin tone will look in the match engine. This is how Pines' skin tone is shown in the FM23 pre-game editor, and you can clearly tell it is not as dark as his real-life skin tone and is set exactly to how it is shown in the OP of this thread:

image.png.17511ec465e62815be093a7962f635da.png

Therefore, this seems to not a bug at all and rather a data issue. In FM23 I found and fixed this issue myself and updated Pines' skin tone from 12 to 15 in the pre-game editor, which came out perfectly well in the match engine and accurately depicted his skin tone in real life without error.

• SI Staff
    7 hours ago, Gum said:

From my knowledge, the ethnicity setting is not exactly related to skin tone setting, but please correct me if I'm wrong. The skin tone setting just seems to be from lightest (1) to darkest, (20) regardless of ethnicity.  When you look at other players with this same skin tone of 12 based in the USA with no set ethnicity, the majority of these players are Hispanic.

image.png.b6e7fe32a47071d026b6d24cf174301c.png

When you look at set African ethnicity players with skin tone 12 based in the USA besides Pines, most of these are players who are of visible mixed race in real life. The exception being Andre Reynolds, who's skin tone should also be fixed to a darker tone. Pines' skin tone is nowhere near as light as these players, so having his skin tone set at 12 seems to be an inaccuracy when you consider the other players who also have their skin tone set to 12.

image.png.2d80ea968b8976e977bf85d1200bc44b.png

Notice how only about 20 players have their skin tone set this light, despite there being around a thousand USA-based African ethnicity players in the database with darker set skin tones.

Keep in mind, in the pre-game editor provided to players, it shows exactly how a player's set skin tone will look in the match engine. This is how Pines' skin tone is shown in the FM23 pre-game editor, and you can clearly tell it is not as dark as his real-life skin tone and is set exactly to how it is shown in the OP of this thread:

image.png.17511ec465e62815be093a7962f635da.png

Therefore, this seems to not a bug at all and rather a data issue. In FM23 I found and fixed this issue myself and updated Pines' skin tone from 12 to 15 in the pre-game editor, which came out perfectly well in the match engine and accurately depicted his skin tone in real life without error.

Fair - 12 is too light a tone so I have updated.