• Data Quality deteriorating year on year

VAraan1980
    • Public Status: Under Review Screenshot: Files Uploaded: Screenshot

After playing FM2024 for a while I decided to sign up to this forum because this issue needs to be raised, it just cannot continue any longer.

I have been playing since the late nineties, but the last few years the data quality in the the database is just so bad it starts to become somewhat of a sick joke.

In FM2024, 1000's of players have "unknown" as their place of birth, huge amounts of player career stats show the club they played for but not the divisions they played in (it merely is a "-", even when it is a club in a premier division).

In other words - data governance at SI is an absolute joke, and it actually makes this a poor product with no eye for detail and sub-standard general quality.

How is this monitored? Who checks and ensures the data fields in the database are actually populated?

Or do you just migrate the data year on year, just to get the money in, and no longer do you consider data quality required so you have not put any controls in place?

Or, and I pray this is not the case, you have a data team that, simply put, is ridiculously incompetent.

Seriously, what the hell is going on?!? 

I would really like to know.

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

I have raised quite a big amount of 'issues' in the bug tracker for FM24 under the Research & Database section i must say, and some issues are quite concerning because they are important. Im talking about player heights being way off even from players at top clubs like Chelsea FC, declared nationalities for several players not being updated (Arbnor Muja, Rocky Bushiri, Joris Kayembe, etc.) player's playing positions missing, even Romeo Lavia missing his Belgium debut from March! According to a post from FM the game has like 1500 researchers or something.. so why cant those who are responsable to scout/follow x club in real life check once a year before the release of a new FM on player heights and information accuracy? And i even wonder if some update the player attributes of their team at all, because many players in real life known for certain specialities are lacking those specialities in FM while other players are overrated. I understand not every club or country has researchers, but Romeo Lavia lacking his Belgium debut from March is a big mistake (who is responsable for Belgium NT and the Belgian Leagues, watching and following those leagues!?) and player heights being wrong in big clubs like Chelsea (Madueke for example) & Man City (Palmer before he joined Chelsea) is just inacceptable.

Yet i dont get a free copy of FM for raising all the research and database 'issues', do i. Those who took the responsability as a researcher and head researcher for FM need to do their job right, and if they cant do it properly or dont have the time, they should leave it to someone capable.

• SI Staff

Hi @VAraan1980 - thanks for posting.

To tackle those first points directly:

• Places of Birth: these are notoriously difficult to research, as information provided can be different from source-to-source, or not provided directly at all until a player is well-established. If you could provide some examples of players who have Places of Birth missing where this information is widely available, we'd appreciate knowing those so we can have them added.
    • The 'Division' assigned in Player History is based on a club's competition history, and is auto-assigned from that. It is not directly set by a researcher, and so we'd need to know which specific clubs you're referring to, to look at that issue.

We make millions of changes every year and put great trust in our researchers to do the high-quality work that they do. We cannot really field wide-ranging statements such as 'no eye for detail' if we are not aware of the specific data issues you are coming across and experiencing - so please let us know and we'll be happy to help.

@FourFiveOne the issues raised for Lavia, Muja, Bushiri, Kayembe and Palmer have been resolved for a future data update. If you could provide specifics on which players have potentially incorrect/outdated attributes and positional ratings, we can discuss those with the relevant researchers. Cheers!

Hi Tom,

Appreciate your response, in regards to the missing competitions in a player's history - just look at the majority of South-American countries, with the exception of Brazil and Argentina. Clearly there is an empty data lake behind the majority of them.

Just to be clear - this has always been a very poor side of the game - this is not new to FM2024. I am in my forties now, having played every single year since the late 90's, and I have seen this going from bad to worse and felt I had to post it.

That this has not been picked up for so many years is very worrying, it is so obvious that it makes me wonder what exactly is being looked at prior to releasing the game? Surely a few spot checks of (mainly) South American players would have highlighted this immediately? 

Cheers!

• SI Staff
    On 11/12/2023 at 23:03, VAraan1980 said:

Hi Tom,

Appreciate your response, in regards to the missing competitions in a player's history - just look at the majority of South-American countries, with the exception of Brazil and Argentina. Clearly there is an empty data lake behind the majority of them.

Just to be clear - this has always been a very poor side of the game - this is not new to FM2024. I am in my forties now, having played every single year since the late 90's, and I have seen this going from bad to worse and felt I had to post it.

That this has not been picked up for so many years is very worrying, it is so obvious that it makes me wonder what exactly is being looked at prior to releasing the game? Surely a few spot checks of (mainly) South American players would have highlighted this immediately? 

Cheers!

Thanks very much, VAraan1980. I can see that there are a small number of years in nations that are not showing. I'll investigate those ahead of a future update.