• Names of China PR, Hong Kong, Macau, Chinese Taipei

svw
    • Public Status: Open Files Uploaded: None

I've noticed a strange naming convention for these football associations in FM23 (Steam version).

Currently they're named like this:

China PR
    Hong Kong (China PR)
    Macau (China PR)
    Chinese Taipei (China PR)

We can find the names of all 4 associations on the official list of FIFA members. The format used by FIFA and the FIFA-branded EA games is:

China PR
    Hong Kong
    Macau
    Chinese Taipei

So why is FM23 adding "China PR" to the names of the other 3 football associations? China PR is a separate FA. If we applied this naming scheme to the UK, it would look like this:

England
    Scotland (England)
    Wales (England)
    Northern Ireland (England)

Since FIFA recognizes these member associations as separate, shouldn't the "China PR" be removed from Hong Kong, Macau, and Chinese Taipei?

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

My guess - NOT AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT! - is, that if these were removed, the game might get banned from sale in China PR...

Does that mean EA's FIFA games are also banned in China PR? Because EA also uses the normal FIFA naming schemes for all 4 associations.

I opened EA's FIFA 23 to see how they did it. They say "Country/Region" instead of "Nationality", and they list the associations as China PR, Chinese Taipei, Hong Kong, Macau.

The IOC and FIFA use the name "Chinese Taipei" and the special Olympic flag in agreement with the "One China" policy held by the People's Republic of China, and I haven't heard of any dispute over the names "Hong Kong" or Macau" in international football, so the concern must come from Football Manager using terminology like "nationality", right? To be fair, FM23 isn't really describing anything political like actual nationality or citizenship. FM23 is describing "football association this player has declared for". So if EA can use "Country/Region", it would surely be fine to use language like "Declared for".

Many players are citizens of one country, but are declared for another. Example, Owen Hargreaves is a Canadian citizen, but if he were playing today in FM23 he would have the England flag beside his name. He would be "Declared for England" and "Also eligible for Canada and Wales".

Using that kind of language might help achieve more realism, although I suppose it would take more than changing a few lines in the database.