From the Unibond to God Knows Where

mark wilson27

Using only English Leagues, Playable from Conference north/south upwards. Took Lancaster City out of the League (Sorry any Lancaster fans) and brought my home team into the league. The only changes I made to the team was to delete all there players and bring in two made up players, Mark Wilson, being my son if you catch my drift and Charlie Gratton. No changes were made to the ground or budget. So hope you enjoy the story

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Using only English Leagues, Playable from Conference north/south upwards. Took Lancaster City out of the League (Sorry any Lancaster fans) and brought my home team into the league. The only changes I made to the team was to delete all there players and bring in two made up players, Mark Wilson, being my son if you catch my drift and Charlie Gratton. No changes were made to the ground or budget. So hope you enjoy the story

2nd July: The Matclokc Mercury and the Derbyshire Times are the only papers present at the press conference held at Causeway Lane, the home of Matlock Town Football Club or as they known The Gladiators. The chairman proudly presents to the press and few fans that turned up the new manager Mark Wilson a 28 year old local man with no managerial experience. The first question came in, what are you going to do with no senior players no money and no experience? I replied " I'm going to build a team round youth and hopefully some good free signings..

What about the rumours that your son being the only player not to go being apart of your deal to join?

Thats just rubbish, he's in the squad because he is a damn good player and he'll prove it over the next season... Now i'm soory I've got no more time. I've got to prepare my team for the difficult season ahead

3rd July: The first proper meeting with the board. They asked what I needed to ensure we don't get relegated from the League in the first season. I suggested a link up with a higher league club, so the board got straight on with that and I wanted a list of all the free players who would be willing to join us and join us quickly. I went to see the coach and asked him for the full list of players we actually have. he'd get back to me tomorrow

4th July: The coach brings me the list of youngsters I have at my disposal. Things don't really look good and I know I've got alot of work to do before the start of the season.

GK - Charlie Gratton - 20

GK - Michael Hamilton - 16

GK - Cory Lamacroft - 16

SW/DC/WBR/DM/AMRLC/FC - Mark Wilson - 16

DR - Lee Holloway - 16

DL - Harland Self - 15

DC - Ryan Bignot - 16

DC - Paul Hunt - 16

MC - Justin Devonshire - 15

MC - Stewart Vella - 15 - Australian

FC - Brain Carter - 16 - Welsh

FC - Dominic Lynch - 16

*All English unless stated otherwise*

This is all I've got to play with, luckily the board brought me the list I required of players that are free agents. I knew what I wanted and that was some more youth mixed with experience. The bookies had us down as certainties to go down and I wanted to prove them wrong. My first friendly was only 5 days away so I knew I had to act fast.

9th July: My first friendly as manager asnd with limited players I knew there wasn't going to be much room for injuries etc...

We played Conference South team Hayes, our start couldn't of been any better as Mark Wilson scored after only 32 seconds to ram home the critisism about him being in the team, we continued to press forward but the Hayes defence were up to the task. Unluckily we suffered an injury as Villa had to come off with what looks like an ankle injury. This didn't distract us much from the game as just on the break we scored again to make it 2-0. The second half was all us but our lack of forward power meant we didn't score again. I was happy with a 2-0 win though and so were the 79 fans who turned up to see the match

10th July: Bad news on the injury front as Villa has sprained his ankle and lucks like he will be out for up two months, but at least we got off to winning start, Next on the friendly agenda is Ossett Albion away.

12th July: The second friendly was against Ossett Albion and we made a brilliant start scoring in the first two minutes and on the 5th minute we doubled our lead, the game was a real see saw affair with play going from end to end. Ossett scored two goals in the matter of three minutes to equalise but we managed to get a two goal cushion back with ease. On the 40th minute we scored again to make it 5-2 before the break. The second half was a different affair with Ossett completely out playing us, they managed to score four times to win the game. I wasn't best pleased at the dramatic downfall in the second half. to make matters even worse my son got sent off for two bookable offences leaving the press with more ammo to throw at me

16th July: I signed my first player on a free, Kevin Dennis a 29 year old AMRLC/FC. His previous clubs include Brentford and Welling, so he had experrience in the league and non league.

17th July: My next friendly was against Forest Green at Causeway Lane. Things didn't start well as Lynch got sent off after only 8 minutes for a silly late tackle. It didn't ruin our game as the players pulled together to dominate Forest Green. We managed to score on the 14th minute through Carter and after that we controlled the game well. The second half was all us and we ran our fully deserved winners, not bad to say we played 82 minutes with only ten men

20th July: Next on the fixture list was a friendly against League Two team Chester. Chester came straight at us and showed the fans what a league team can do, there pressure eventually paid off when they scored in the 15th minute. The way Chester were attacking I feared a rout but luckily my players showed some balls and stood firm under the pressure.Towards the end of the game we had a shot cleared off the line but overall I was very happy with how my young team played against a very strong Chester side.

On the transfer front I signed another player, Thomas Smith a 17yr old AMC who had just been released by Bournemouth

23rd July Hednesford were my next opponents and they managed to provide me wiith a difficult game as they scored after only 12 minutes, but my players showed alot of resolve and scored not long after. The game started to get messy as both sets of players tried there hardest to get the winner but both defence's protected there respective goals. Unfortunately a good draw came at a cost as new signing Thomas Smith suffered some fractured ribs and will be out for up to two months.

On the transfer front we made alot of new free signings, with some more youth and some experienced players coming to the club.

James Hindmarch - 29 - MC - previous clubs Cannes

Sean Ardley - 18 - D/AMR - Crawley

Andy Roscoe - 33 - D/WBL/DM/AMLC - Signed as GoalKeeping coach aswell - Liverpool, Bolton, Rotherham, Mansfield, Exeter and Leigh

Marc Salvati - 23 - D/AMR - York and Whitby

Marcus Benton - 20 - ST - Northampton

Gary Tomkins - 19 - MC

Craig Mitchel - 20 - AMC - Port Vale and Runcorn

Neil Ellis - 37 - D/WB/ML - Northwich

27th July: My last friendly is against Fleetwood at Causeway Lane, With virtually a new team and little time for them to gel Fleetwood dominted us and ran out deserved 2-0 winners in front of a paultry 86 fans lets hope more turn up for the League games

Friendly Results:

9/7: Hayes - H - 2-0 (M.Wilson, Lynch)

12/7: Ossett Albion - A - (B.Carter, M.Wilson, Lynch 2, Holloway)

17/7: Forest Green Rovers - H - 1-0 (B.Carter)

20/7: Chester - H - 0-1

23/7: Hednesford - H - 1-1 (Devonshire)

27/7: Fleetwood - H - 0-2

1st August: The board announced to me and the press that we had set up a link with Sheffield United in the hope that we would get some of there younger players on loan at no cost, plus we get the added incentive of them visiting Causeway Lane for a friendly every pre-season.

2nd August: Michael Hamilton is out for up to a month with a broken shoulder, Our first league game is in ten days so I got the players in and training hard. The forthcoming season was going to be a hard slog especially as the bookies and press had us down as relegation certainties.

Our first game was against recently relegated Scarborough who would start the season with minue ten points due to going into administartion

12th August: Scarborough v Matlock Town Odds 12-1

Our first game and we looked completely out of our depth as Scarborough ran riot. We conceded out first goal on the 11th minute as Gratton came to far out for a ball and lost it, the Scarborough attacker took control of the ball and scored into an open net. Scarborough scored again on the 34th minute as my whole defence were caught flat footed, we went into the break 2-0 down and were lucky not to be more. The second half got off to a abad start as we conceded again after only four minutes. We did have a few chances but our finishing let us down. Things didn't get any better for us as we had two players sent off in four minutes, Kevin Dennis and A.Roscoe both for second bookable offences. In truth this was a very poor start to the campaign

Scarborough 3 - 0 Matlock Town

13th August: Both Dennis and Roscoe apologised to me and the players for there sendings off, but that didn't affect the game as they both came so late. I hope the players respond well against Workington on the 15th. Other news includes Liverpool beating Chelsea in the Community Shield 2-1

15th August: Workington v Matlock Town Odds 10-1

Another bad start saw Devonshire get sent off after only 8 minutes for a cynical foul quickly followed by dissent. To make matters worse Workington took advantage and scored a minute later. The perfect start!!!!!

Things didn't improve as Workington scored again five minutes later to put us 2-0 down and in deep trouble. We just had no reply to there onslaught. Thye continued to attack us and there efforts were rewarded with there third goal on the 34th minute as Hunt put the ball into his own net.

At the half time break I didn't know what to say, we were awfull.

The second half was a different story as we seemed to playing better and started to get more forward possesion and it showed as we scored on the 61st minute bia an own goal. We kept on going forward and ten minutes later my son scored to make it 3-2, could we do the comeback. Time was ticking away and Workington started to get control more. We attacked again and with five minutes left on the clock we scored through Carter to equalise and cap a brilliant comeback

Workington 3 - 3 Matlock Town (OG 61, M.Wilson 71, Carter 85)

16th August: A classic game it was called by the papers and I was proud of my players resolve. I was a little worried by the discipline as Devonshire's sending off was our third in two games.

19th August: Matlock Town v Moor Green Odds 4-1

My first home game and we started well as we dominated the early proceedings, our dominanace paid off in the 19th minute as Sean Ardley scored a brilliant individual goal to give us the lead. The goal spurred Moor Green on and they started to gain control of the game but luckily for us Gratton was on top form, on the 31st minute I had to replace Holloway as he had taken a tough blow to the head and didn't look steady on his feet. No sooner had the second half started we had to replace both K.Dennis and Carter who both picked up knocks. With three of the first team out we struggled through the second half and couldn't cause Moor Green any problems, on the 61st minute we conceded a penalty that gave Moor Green the equaliser. A dissappointing end to the game but I can't blame the players. A good crowd of 564 came to see us.

Matlock Town 1 - 1 Moor Green (Ardley 19)

20th August: Mixed news on the injury front as both Holloway and Carter will be out for up to a month each. Luckily Dennis injury wasn't bad and would be ready for the next game in two days against Leigh

22nd August: Matlock Town v Leigh Odds 13-2

We started brightly and attacked Leigh early, we piled the pressure on and it wasn't long till we scored through Dennis who powered the ball in from a tight angle. The goal woke Leigh up and they started to assert there own pressure on us. Hunt did well in blocking an attack but the rebound feel nicely to a Leigh attacker who duly put it in the net, luckily for us the assistant referee noticed they were off side so we went into the break 1-0 up.

The second was even better for us as Dennis doubled his and own goal tally for the day by scoring from 18 yards. We should of won by more but three points is three points. A good crowd of 454 turned up to watch.

Matlock Town 2 - 0 Leigh (Dennis 14, 56)

23rd AugustA good game against Leigh gave us our first win and our first clean sheet, Hopefully we can keep this up.

25th August: Seville won the European Super Cup beating Barcelona 4-3 on penalties after a 1-1 draw

26th August: Gainsborough v Matlock Town Odds 9-4

The players were on a high after the last result but that didn' last long as Gainsborough dominated the opening play. Luckily for us Hunt was having a storming game as he kept Gainsborough at bay. Hunt was helpless for the opening goal as Gainsborough gained possesion from the midfield and scored a brilliant 30 yard goal just before the break.

The second half was no different as Gainsborough kept piling forward and it wasn't long till Gainsborough scored again to wrap the game up for them. To be truthfull we should have lost by a lot more

Gainsborough 2 - 0 Matlock Town

28th August: Matlock Town v Vauxhall Motors Odds 4-1

Our third game in a week and my young squad were looking tired, but as I told them, if they want to succeed in this League they'll have to get used to busy weeks.

It was a very poor start as we conceded within a minute and we hadn't even touched the ball. The game restarted and we started to get the ball more, Wilson nearly scored with a long range effort which went just over, it took us till injury time in the first half for us to score through Lynch.

The second half started just as the first did as we conceded after only 38 seconds, another lack of concentration. We had to get back into the game but it seemed every attack we produced just ended with a poor shot or a geat save from the opposition goalie. Luckily for us lady luck was looking down on us as Wilsons shot rebounded off the post straight into the path of Roscoe who cooly despatched it into the net to send the crowd of 529 wild.

Matlock Town 2 - 2 Vauxhall Motors (Lynch 45, Roscoe 84)

30th August: The board were happy with the teams performance this month and even more happy that we had made a profit.

Results:

12/8: Conference North - A - Scarborough 0-3

15/8: Conference North - A - Workington 3-3 (OG, M.Wilson, Carter)

19/8: Conference North - H - Moor Green 1-1 (Ardley)

22/8: Conference North - H - Leigh 2-0 (Dennis 2)

26/8: Conference North - A - Gainsborough 0-2

28/8: Conference North - H - Vauxhall Motors 2-2 (Lynch, Roscoe)

Conference North: 14th

Top Scorers:

Dennis 2

OG, M.Wilson, Carter, Ardley, Lynch, Roscoe 1

2nd September: Stalybridge v Matlock Town Odds 13-2

Both teams started well, and there was a lot of attacking play. Roscoe came close but his shot was just over the cross bar. Dennis then fluffed a shot from 3 yards whilst at the other end our defence and Gratton were coping well with the Stalybridge attacks.

Unfortunately lady luck was against us this time as the referee gave a very dodgy penalty in favour of Stalybridge which they wasted no time in dispatching. The second half was a none event as both teams cancelled eachother out.

Stalybridge 1 - 0 Matlock Town

3rd September: Irecieved a warning from the Fa about comments I made about the ref to the press, next up for me was a local derby against Alfreton Town at Causeway Lane

9th September: Matlock Town v Alfreton Odds 7-4

The first local derby for me and we came out strong, Alfreton seemed to have no reply to our constant barrage. It took us till the 22nd minute to score though as Lynch put the ball in from 6 yards. After the goal Alfreton started to get back into the game and Gratton had to be on his toes to keep the scoreline at 1-0.

The second half was mostly Alfreton but our defence held firm, We were being overrun alittle so I moved on of my attackers into the midfield to swamp the Midfield area. The tactic paid off as Alfreton were limited to a few scraps. A decent crowd of 560 came to see us win the first local derby.

Matlock Town 1 - 0 Alfreton (Lynch 22)

10th September: A good local derby win and it kept us five points clear of the drop zone. Meanwhile it put Alfreton deep into relegation trouble, but there was a long way to go in the league yet

12th September: Matlock Town v Droylsden Odds 9-4

A difficult game against promotion hopefuls Droyslden and it showed as they came at us from the start, there pressure eventually told as Salvati pulled down one of there attackers in the area to give them a penalty. Which they took no hesitation in putting away. The goal woke us up and we startd to get more of the possesion. Eventually we were rewarded for our play as Salvati made up for his earlier error by scoring on the 20th minute. Droylsden lookd shocked and they didn't seem to recover as we scored again 10 minutes later through Lynch. Things got even better for us as Dennis scored afater the Droylsden keeper cocked up a clearance to put us 3-1 up at half time.

The second half started well for Droylsden as 14 minutes into the half they scored again to make it 3-2. This didn't stop us going forward and managed to regain the two goal cushion via an own gola on the 70th minute. The confidence was oozing out my players and we scored of fifth and final goal on the 87th minute to give the great crowd of 694 something to cheer about.

Matlock Town 5 - 2 Droylsden (Salvati 20, Lynch 30, Dennis 36, OG 70, Carter 87)

16th September: Redditch v Matlock Town Odds 9-2

Redditch came out strongly and scored after only eight minutes, we had no reply to the constant attacks. Just before the half time break they scored again after a poor pass by Devonshire was intercepted.

The second half was no better as they continued there onslaught. They finally killed the game off on the 73rd minute with a brilliant 20 yard free kick.

Redditch 3 - 0 Matlock Town

18th September: The Fa Cup 2nd Qualifying Round draw was made and we got Leek Town at Causeway Lane.

21st September: Bad news on the injury front as James Hindmarch landed awkwardly in training and will be out for up to three months with a damaged hip, not the ideal preperation for our trip to Farsley

23rd September: Farsley v Matlock Town Odds 7-2

Both teams started well as both attacked each others goal. It was a real battle of wits and unfortunately we lost the first battle as Farsley scored after twenty one minutes. We kept going but nothing happened before the break, hopefully we would have more luck in the second half.

After the break it only took us 10 minutes to equalise, unfortunately we didn't concentrate and Farsley scored on the 65th minute, we piled forward but to no avail. We were exposed at the back as Farsley killed the game with two goals in two minutes as they scored on the 83rd and 84th minute.

Farsley 4 - 1 Matlock Town (Lynch 55)

24th September: The scoreline flattered Farsley as we deserved at least a point but lady luck had deserted us.

29th September: I made another signing with the arrival of veteran midfielder Kevin Parr on a free transfer

30th September: Matlock Town v Leek Town: Fa Cup 2nd Qualifying Round Odds 13-8

Leek proved sturdy opposition as they defended really well and gave us a chance, Lynch ahd several shots stopped . Wilson came close but his shot was tipped over. At the half time break Gratton had to be replaced.

Leek kept up there defensive game and it too till the 81st minute for us to score as Lynch ran clear of there defense to send the small crowd of 172 wild..

Matlock Town 1 - 0 Leek Town (Lynch 81)

Results:

2/9: Conference North - A - Stalybridge 0-1

9/9: Conference North - H - Alfreton 1-0 (Lynch)

12/9: Conference North - H - Droylsden 5-2 (Salvati, Lynch, Dennis, OG, Carter)

16/9: Conference North - A - Redditch 0-3

23/9: Conference North - A - Farsley 1-4 (Lynch)

30/9: Fa Cup 2nd Qualifying Round - H - Leek 1-0 (Lynch)

Conference North: 17th

Fa Cup: 3rd Qulaifying Round

Top Scorers:

Lynch 5

Dennis 3

OG, Carter 2

M.Wilson, Ardley, Roscoe, Salvati 1

1st October: Signed a new striker in Usmal Gondal who is a Pakistan international and is only 18.

2nd October: The draw for the Fa Cup 3rd Qualifying Round pitted us against Ashton United at Causeway Lane, Next up though was a tough encounter against top of the table Kettering

7th October: Matlock Town v Kettering Odds 15-1

We started brightly against an in form Kettering, with Wilson nearly scoring after only four minutes but he was denied by a brilliant save. We were giving Kettering hell but as so happens lady luck smiled down on them and they scored on the 43rd minute with an incisive breakaway.

The start of the second half was bad for us as a lack of concentration cost a goal within the first four minutes much to the despair of the loyal 572 fans that turned out. We did manage to score six minutes after Ketterings second from a Wilson free kick that flew gloriously into the net. Unfortunately that was the best of our chances and we ended up running out 2-1 losers. But it was a good effort and the players deserved some praise

Matlock Town 1 - 2 Kettering (Wilson 55)

14th October: Matlock Town v Ashton United: Fa Cup 3rd Qualifying Round Odds 7-4

We started very poorly as Ashton kept possesion of the ball alot better. They kept coming at us and we would of been several goals behind if it wasn't for Gratton who was playing a blinder. Unfortuntely Gratton stood no chance with Ashtons opener as they thundered a brilliant shot high into the goal to give them a 1-0 lead just before the break. The second half was no different as Ashton kept up the pressure. Against the run of play we managed to get the equaliser as Roscoe rounded the keeper to score. Our joy was short lived though as our concentration let us down again and Ashton scored three minutes later. We had nothing left in the tanks and the Fa Cup dream was dead as was our confidence

Matlock Town 1 - 2 Ashton United (Roscoe 60)

21st October: Barrow v Matlock Town Odds 9-1

After last weeks result I wanted a positive response from the players and I got it in the opening exchanges. They played like devils and the game was a real end to end contest, Wilson nearly scored but his shot was just inches wide, then Lynch had a shot deflected. Unfortunately Barrow took the lead as there striker chipped Gratton from distance, a bad mistake by the goalie who seemed to be asleep.

The second half was much of the same as both teams tried to score another goal but a mixture of great defending and poor finishing meant the game ended with another loss for my team

Barrow 1 - 0 Matlock Town

23rd October: The Fa Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round was drawn and we were drawn against local rivals Belper Town at Causeway Lane, but next in the league was Hyde. Lets hope we can end our losing streak in the league which is now five games in a row

28th October: Matlock Town v Hyde Odds 13-2

We started very poorly again and after only six minutes we conceded a shameful goal, I was furious,I'd seen better defending in sunday league. It didn't get any better as four minutes later we conceded again as Hyde played a brilliant through ball past my sluggish defence to round Gratton and score again, 2-0 down within ten minutes wasn't acceptable. I gave the players a hell of a rollicking from the touch line and got warned by the fourth official to calm down. Luckily we didn't concede in the first half.

The players seemed to come out alittle better in the second half but couldn't get past the Hyde midfield and the game petered out, It was a shameful performance

Matlock Town 0 - 2 Hyde

Results:

7/10: Conf North - H - Kettering 1-2 (Wilson)

14/10: Fa Cup 3rd Qualifying Round - H - Ashton United 1-2 (Roscoe)

21/10: Conf North - A - Barrow 0-1

28/10: Conf North - H - Hyde 0-2

Conference North: 19th

Fa Cup: Knocked Out in 3rd Qualifying Round

Fa Trophy: 2nd Qualifying Round v Belper

Top Scorers:

Lynch 5

Dennis 3

OG, Wilson, Carter, Roscoe 2

Ardley, Salvati 1

4th November: Matlock Town v Belper Fa Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round Odds 4-5 Fav

The first match that the bookies had made us favourites to win but it didn't show as Belper took the lead after only three minutes. Not the best of starts in a local derby, It took us all of fifteen minutes for us to get our first meaningful shot as Lynch skipped free of the defence only to see his shot go just wide of the post. However on the 22nd minute we ahd a bit of luck as Roscoe managed to score with a fizzing 20 yard shot.

At the start of the second half Belper were reduced to ten men as Lynch was viciously elbowed. With Belper down to ten men it killed the game as they went ultra defensive. We should've been able to score but my inexperienced strike force couldn't penetrate the Belper defence

Matlock Town 1 - 1 Belper (Roscoe 22)

7th November: The draw for the 3rd qualifying round was made and if we beat Belper tomorrow we would face the winners of the Harrow v Wealdston game

8th November: Belper v Matlock Town Fa Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round Replay Odds 4-5 Fav

Again we were made favourites and again it didn't show as Belper scored after only 11 minutes, we just didn't get going and we were lucky not to go two down as Hunt cleared brilliantly off the line after a mistake by Gratton. We started to get more into the game and we eventually scored on the 34th minute through Roscoe. The second half was a tight affair as both teams failed to penetrate the midfield areas. There was no real action and the game went into extra time, Both sets of players looked tired but that didn't stop the game getting exciting as Dennis scored from ten yards after 110 minutes, but our joy was short lived as Belper equalised again after only six minutes. It didn't get any better as they scored again with two minutes left on the clock. With so little time I screamed at the players to get forward and even the keeper followed suit. Everything was piled forward and it paid off as on the 120 minute Gondal headed home from 8 yards to send the game into penalties.

I went round each player to see who wanted to take the penalties and gave the ref my list. We started the penalties through Wilson who promptly thumped the ball high into the net, Belper stepped up for there first penalty and set it wide of the post, Dennis stepped up for his and skied it over the net and into the fans, Belper slotted theres in just missing Grattons fingers, Gondal stepped up and wasted no time in despatching his penalty home, Belper scored with there next one, Carter stepped into the fold and scored, Belpers next penalty was brilliantley saved by Gratton, Roscoe knew if he scored we would be through to the next round, he calmly placed the ball and thumped it with all his might to see it fly into the net to send us into the 3rd Qualifying round

Belper 3 - 3 Matlock Town (aet) (pen 4-2) (Roscoe 34, Dennis 110, Gondal 120)

We now face Harrow at Causeway Lane in the next round

Other news includes Gondal getting called into the Pakistan squad to face U.A.E

11th November: Matlock Town v Worcester Odds 12-1

After a long match against Belper my players looked alittle tired, Worcester took advantage of this and piled forward. Luckily Gratton was on top form and stopped a brilliantley struck shot going into the net. For all Worcesters pressure it was us that drew first blood against the run of play as Gondal celebrated his international call up by netting on the 21st minute. But as has happened on so many occasions our concentration let us down as Worcester scored after only three minutes. We continued going forward and were rewarded as Gondal doubled his tally and ours with a thunderous header from Salvatis cross, Unfortunately Worcester managed to equalise again just before the break.

The second half started badly as Worcester scored within four minutes of the restart, this seemed to knock the confidence of my players and they never really got started in the second half

Matlock Town 2 - 3 Worcester (Gondal 21, 37)

12th November: Another loss and I'm starting to worry as we have declined slowly into deep trouble. With a gap of six points between us and safety, the fans are starting to question my tactics but as of yet the board haven't shown any displeasure, all I can hope for is a change of fortune.

15th November: Blyth v Matlock Town Odds 10-1

We started well and gave Blyth some early problems but couldn't penetrate there defence, we kept on trying but nothing was working, unfortunately Blyht took advantage of this and scored on the 37th minute through a brilliant counter attack. My players looked down and I was glad to go to the break to give my players some much needed words of encouragement.

It didn't work as only two minutes into the second half Blyth scored again. We were on the back foot and Blyth started to dominate the game, we did however get alittle bit of luck as Blyth's keeper fluffed a clearance straight to Carter who thumped it straight back into the net. This set back didn't deter Blyth who kept coming at us, it took them till the 73rd minute to score as Wilson fouled there striker in the area to concede a penalty which they duly put away. Our luck didn't get any better as Holloway mistimed a clearance and ball flew straight into his own net.

Blyth 4 - 1 Matlock Town (Carter 52)

16th November: Things are going from bad to worse. My players head are down and the confidence is no longer there, to make matters worse we've got a difficult game against second placed Nuneaton. I had to somehow motivate my players.

18th November: Nuneaton v Matlock Town Odds 30-1

The odds were stacked against us and Nuneaton wasted no time in proving the bookies right by controling the game from the start. The attacks came from all angles and it was a surprise it took them till the 15th minute to score after Dennis had lost possesion in midfield. They kept coming at us and wasted no time in despatching another goal past us as yet again we lost possesion again in the midfield. At the break I let the players know what I though about there attempts at football and in no uncertain terms how unhappy I was. The harsh words seemed to work as we came out and played the better football in the second half, we kept trying to form some sort of attack but nothing was happening. We eventually scored in injury time but it was too little too late and we yet again lost.

Nuneaton 2 - 1 Matlock Town (Salvati 90)

25th November: Matlock Town v Harrow; Fa Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round Odds 7-2

A good distraction from the league and my players looked alot more relaxed, Luckily not too relaxed as they started very well against Harrow. It didn't take long for us to score as Gondal slipped his defender to put one past the on rushing keeper. We were putting some good passes together and kept good possesion, but for all our possesion we couldn't break the Harrow defence and the first half ended one nil to us. I changed the formation to an attacking 4-3-1-2 in the hope of us breaking down the defence but it didn't work as it gave Harrow more time on the ball. Luckily for us our players were up to the task and managed to keep the scoreline at 1-0 to see us progress to the first round proper

Matlock Town 1 - 0 Harrow (Gondal 12)

28th November: The Fa Trophy 1st Round pitted us against Northwood a game we should really win

Results:

4/11: Fa Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round - H - Belper 1-1 (Roscoe)

8/11: Fa Trophy 2nd Qualifying Round Replay - A - Belper 3-3 aet (pen 4-2) (Roscoe, Dennis, Gondal)

11/11: Conf North - H - Worcester 2-3 (Gondal 2)

15/11: Conf North - A - Blyth 1-4 (Carter)

18/11: Conf North - A - Nuneaton 1-2 (Salvati)

25/11: Fa Trophy 3rd Qualifying Round - H - Harrow 1-0 (Gondal)

Conference North: 22nd

Fa Cup; Knocked Out 3rd Qualifying Round

Fa Trophy: 1st Round v Northwood

Top Scorers:

Lynch 5

Dennis, Roscoe, Gondal 4

Carter 3

OG, M.Wilson, Salvati 2

Ardley 1

2nd December: Matlock Town v Hucknall Odds 12-1

We started quite well and were keeping hold of the ball better than in previous games, Hucknall were trying but couldn't get hold of the ball. As our confidence grew we ventured forward more and it wasn't long till we gained the chance to score via a penalty after Gondal ahad been pulled down in the area. Mark Wilson stepped up and fired us into the lead. Our joy was short lived yet again as bad concentration cost us a goal eleven minutes later. You could see the confidence drain out my players and it wasn't long till Hucknall punished us again and fired themselves into the lead just before the break.

The second half got off to the worse start as Hucknall wasted no time in scoring there third four minutes after the restart. My players looked down and out and the game just petered out into a none event.

Matlock Town 1 - 3 Hucknall (M.Wilson pen 25)

3rd December: I signed Chris Wood on loan from Mansfield for three months in the hope his experience of higher league football would help my team. I wonder if he's having second thoughts already after seeing the last performance. Next up for me was 3rd placed Hinckley at Causeway Lane.

9th December: Matlock Town v Hinckley Odds 20-1

The game started slowly with neither team looking convincing. Unfortunately for us it was Hinckley who started to get the upper hand but they couldn't pentrate my five man midfield. The first half ended and the only thing that kept the fans awake was the cold. The second half was no different as we kept it tight but lady luck wasn't on our side again and we concded the winning goal four minutes from time

Matlock Town 0 - 1 Hinckley

16th December: Northwood v Matlock Town; Fa Trophy 1st Round

Both teams started well as we both attacked each other. Wilson came close but his effort went just wide of the upright. Northwood proved they were no push overs as they created plenty of chances themselves. The first half ended and it was a mystery no goals were scored. The second half was a different story as Northwood scored within the first tens econds, this seemed to give Northwood and extra burst of energy as they started to dominate play. They manged to score again on the 76th minute, we should of defended it better but hey thats been our main problem all season. We did mange to score as Northwood concded a penalty which my son Mark put away but it was too little too late and we were out of the cup to a lower league team

Northwood 2 - 1 Matlock Town (M.Wilson pen 85)

17th December: We now had nine days off till our next match and I had to to get the confidence back into my squad, it was going to be hard as we had only managed one win in the 13 games

26th December: Matlock Town v Harrogate

The players seemed a little lacklustre after the Christmas festivities and it showed as they gifted Harrogate the lead on the 7th minute, my players were in a real giving mood as they gifted Harrogate two more goals in the space of three minutes. We did manage to pull one back via a dubious penalty which Wilson put away. The second half was awfull as we kept giving the ball away, luckily for us Gratton was playing a blinder. Things got worse as Lynch pulled up and had to be replaced

Matlock Town 1 - 3 Harrogate (M.Wilson pen 35)

27th December: Bad news on the injury front as Lynch looks like hes going to be out for anything up to a month with a thigh strain. Even worse the papers have started a campaign to get me the sack. Saying my tactics are all wrong , bloody reporters what do they know

30th December: Matlock Town v Workington

Last match of the year and I demanded a performance from my players and in the first half they gave it me as we beat Workington to every ball. On the 21st minute we managed to get behind the Workington defence and it was yet again my son scoring his fourth goal in five mathes. Workington managed to score in the first half but it was luckily called offside.

Workington started the second half better and managed to score after only five minutes, making we wonder why cant concentrate. We tried to press them to get the winner but we were unodone by a dodgy call by the referee who thought it was ok for the Workigton attacker to elbow my player to the ground and run clear to score

Matlock Town 1 - 2 Workington (M.Wilson 21)

Again we were booed off the pitch and I had to answer some awkward questions about my tactics and the teams lack of passion and commitment to the badge

Results;

2/12: Conf North - H - Hucknall 1-3(Wilson)

9/12: Conf North - H - Hinckley 0-1

16/12: Fa Trophy 1st Rd - A - Northwood 1-2 (Wilson)

26/12: Conf North - H - Harrogate 1-3 (Wilson)

30/12: Conf North - H - Workington 1-2 (Wilson)

Conference North: 22nd

Fa Cup: Knocked Out in 3rd Qualifying Round

Fa Trophy: Knocked Out in 1st Round

Top Scorers:

Wilson 6

Lynch 5

Dennis, Roscoe, Gondal 4

Carter 3

OG, Salvati 2

Ardley 1

1st January 2007: Moor Green v Matlock Town

A new year and hopefully a zest of life in my team

We started very well as did Moor Green, the crowd were being treated to an excellent opening few minutes, for all the attacking play mine and Moor Greens players showed neither of us managed to score that vital first goal. That all changed though after the break as Moor Green opened the scoring after only 25 seconds. Our luck didn't improve as Moor Green scored a scorcher from 30 yards only six minutes later. Not the start to the new year I had hoped for.

Moor Green 2-0 Matlock Town

6th January: Matlock Town v Scarborough

The players came out well for this game as Scarborough looked a little tired, we went at them but there midfield was very tight. It was a good first half but we should of in the lead. I told the players this and in the second half they didn't take long to take the lead as Gondal scored after only three minutes to send the home fans wild. We were looking good but lady luck wasn't with us as Smith pulled up on a run as though he had been shot, We replaced him and luckily this didn't seem to destract them from there mission. Unfortunately we had another bit of bad luck as Wilson was clattered into and had to be replaced. Unfortunately I had used my quota of subs and I had to play the remaining 18 minutes with only ten men. This seemed to spur Scarborough on as they piled forward and on the 80th minute there pressure paid off as they scored. It didn't improve as on the 87th minute the referee's assistnat missed a blatant off side and they ran free to score the winner. I was livid and let the referee and assistant what I thought of them.

Matlock Town 1 - 2 Scarborough (Gondal 48)

7th January: I recieved a one match touchline ban for my outburst to referee by the Fa and my luck didn't improve as I recieved news from the physio that Smith is going to be out for up to a month and my son Mark would be out for up to a fortnight. This wasn't good news as my injury list was growing and so was my list of players being suspended for reaching the 5 yellow cards. What else could go wrong this season

Archived