York City F.C. Thread

Lenny_WHUFC

Full Name: York City Football Club

Nickname: The Minstermen, Yorkies

Founded: 1922

Ground: Bootham Crescent (or KitKat Crescent...)

Chairman: Jason McGill

York City Football Club is an English football club based in York, North Yorkshire. The club participates in the Conference National, the fifth tier of English football. Founded in 1922, they joined the Football League in 1929, and have spent most of their history in the lower divisions. The club briefly rose as high as the second tier of English football, spending two seasons in the Second Division in the 1970s. At the end of the 2003–04 season the club lost their League status when they were relegated from the Third Division, and have since remained in the Conference.

York have enjoyed more success in cup competitions than in the league, with highlights including an FA Cup semi-final appearance in 1955. In the 1995–96 League Cup, York beat Manchester United 3–0 at Old Trafford; Manchester United went on to win the FA Cup and Premiership double that season.

York play their home games at KitKat Crescent in York. This stadium was formerly known as Bootham Crescent, but was renamed KitKat Crescent as part of a sponsorship deal with Nestlé, whose confectionery factory, formerly known as Rowntree's, is one of the city's largest employers.

I've started out with York because they have a bit of history and it's a big City so hopefully there is potential to expand.

Is there anyone else who has started with York?

I only loaded up the English League on a small database. I got rid of most of the original squad because they weren't really up to standard. I'm in January now and am sitting at 5th mainly due to a terrible start to the season. I'm using one of Knap's 4-4-2's and the players have started to settle into it and I haven't lost for about 12 games. I'm fairly confident that I will get promoted.

My first team squad is:

GK: Carl Ikeme, Iain Bennett

DR: Paul Telfer (vc), Stephen Purches ©

DL: Darren Barnard, Charlie Daniels (Loan)

DC: James Tomkins (Loan), Miguel Rebosio, Jay Emmanuel-Thomas (Short Term Loan)

ML: Andy Barcham (Loan), Jack Compton

MR: Joe Anyisah, Joe Coelbeck

MC: Sam Hewson (Loan), Kristian O'Leary, Jean Ferrari, Zlatko Yankov, Gavin Rothery, Sam Chamberlain

SC: Chris Dickson, Stuart Fleetwood, Dean Bowditch, Daniel McBreen

Chris Dickson and Sam Hewson have been my star men to date and they are the top two for average rating in the League. I have just brought in Rebosio and Ferrari and I am excited to see how they perform.

I've not started a game with City on the full version, but played around with them on the Demo, but I am now managing them 2 seasons into a game after two years with AZ Alkmaar.

The York squad at the start of the game is good enough to challange for promotion. McBreen and Sodje are a good enough strike partnership and Brodie makes a good impact sub late in the game (Set him to close down all over and tackling hard). Adam Boyes is a real prospect at that level and he's currently my main striker. Only slight weakness is on the wings. A left winger is a must as Shepard isn't ready for the first XI and Russell isn't amazing on the right.

I've been given no money at all and the squad has lost some of the original players, but I've been able to bring in some Dutch players on frees, thanks to having a good reputation in that country. Plus Curtis Weston and Jean-Paul Kalala on frees who are a great midfield combo at this level. I'm using a 442 following a Role Theory type style as used by Arsenal and discussed in this thread: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php?t=61144

As with all teams at this level, I'm still fairly inconsident and find I can win one game 4-0 and then lose to a pub side in the next game.

BTW, we were founded in 1922, not 1908 ;) That was a pre-war club that has nothing to do with the current club, save the name. A bit like how Accrington Stanley (1968) are nothing to do with the old team that went bust.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Started a career with york a couple of weeks ago for the first time since 05 or 06. Coming into May 2010 joint top of League 2! If I get consecutive promotions it will probably be my greatest ever FM achievement. Do have to admit though to pretty much ignoring the wage budget both years and completely overhauling the squad and staff over the course of that time, with only Gavin Rothery, Onome Sodje and Adam Boyes remaining. Backroom staff also includes Tim Flowers and Faustino Asprilla! lol

Greatest signings by far have been my keepers, I recommend signing Scott Fox on loan from Celtic first season, and then second season (if he doesnt sign a new contract) snap up Olivier Blondel for a free from Toulouse reserves.

Only thing I'm worried about now is that I'm due to move into that pathetic York Community Stadium in 2013 which only holds 6000 - over 3000 less that the Crescent! (i refuse to call it "KitKat Crescent" lol)

PS Lenny, i also signed Rebosio and Ayinsah (loan), were both great signings for me.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I started a game with york the other day, won the league (107 points) and the fa trophy. My next season has gone pearshaped because Iv not been able to bring a single player in in the summer as my transfer budget is 1k and my wage budget is 18k over budget lol.....

Heres my starting line up in my 1st season season:

gk m.poke 0k

cd l.prosser 6k

cd l.johnson 35k

cd a.webster 26k

rm beeston 6k

lm tremarco 10k

cm richman 35k

cm cartman 3k

am hewson loan

sk zozulya 2k

sk gornell 16k

Zozulya is a must buy, even for a championship side he is a top striker! and to get the funds for all these transfers, you must be on contract talks with all of them, then increase your transfer budget to your wage budget's expense before you bring your first player in.

• 5 months later...

i got York promoted but hit a brick wall since. Cant get above mid table league 2.

Jay Emmanuel-Thomas mentioned in OP, and I signed him too.

T Cleverely Man U reserves on loan also.

Signing guys from Motherwel or Hamilton team standard seem way to go, but Board are forever moaning and players saying we are under achieving, when I think I'm doing great actually!

Archived