FM10 : Official Carlisle United F.C. thread

Anfieldid

Welcome to the Carlisle United F.C. thread for Football Manager 2010

Carlisle United F.C. are an English football team based in Carlisle, Cumbria. Formed in 1904 the club currently compete in League One, the third tier of the English football pyramid.

Past Managers

There aren't too many well known names amongst Carlisle's past managers. In fact it's rare that the club has stuck with one manager for more than a couple of seasons. Amongst those who have took the helm in recent times are:

Mervyn Day, Nigel Pearson, Ian Atkins, Roddy Collins, Paul Simpson, Neil Mcdonald and John Ward before Greg Abbott took charge.

It is worth noting that the great Bill Shankly started both his playing and managerial careers at Carlisle United.

So the challenge is there for anyone looking to build a club from the ground up. Could you be the manager to bring consistancy to the club both on and off the pitch?

Former Players

Among the players to have pulled on the blue shirt in the past are:

David Reeves, Paul Murray, Tony Gallimore, Rory Delap, Matt Jansen, Tony Caig, Keiren Westwood, Joe Garner and Michael Bridges.

Recent History

In 2004-05, Carlisle returned to the Football League at the first time of asking by winning the Conference National promotion playoffs.

Carlisle's excellent form under Paul Simpson continued into the following season as they returned to the Football League with a bang, clinching the League Two title. Simpson then departed for local rivals Preston North End, and was succeeded by Neil McDonald.

In 2006-07, Carlisle become the first visiting team to win a League One match at the Keepmoat Stadium, the new home of Doncaster Rovers after a 2-1 win on February 3, 2007. The win was part of a sequence of games in which the club - mired in mid-table - staged a late run for a play-off place, they finally finished the season in 8th place, their highest league finish for 22 years with the added bonus of returning their highest average league crowds for 30 years.

Neil McDonald was sacked one game into the 2007-08 season. This move came as a shock to the Carlisle fans, Greg Abbott took over as caretaker manager with Cheltenham Town manager John Ward taking over on a permanent basis in October 2007, with both clubs agreeing a six figure compensation package and Ward's contract will run for four years.

Ward took Carlisle to the top of League One on 28 October, and they were still looking likely for automatic promotion at the beginning of April as they occupied second place, but could only manage a draw on the final day of the season and finished fourth. They played against Leeds United in the semi-finals. On 12 May 2007, Carlisle United played Leeds United in the League One Playoff first leg at Elland Road. Carlisle won that match 2-1 with Graham's posterior and Bridge Wilkinson scoring the goals. Dougie Freedman scored a controversial injury time goal (in the 96th minute; only 4 minutes were shown on the fourth official's board) for Leeds to set up an enthralling second leg.

In the corresponding fixture at Brunton, Leeds took an early first half lead through a Jonny Howson goal, and then Howson scored his second with only seconds to spare to put the match at 3-2 on aggregate to Leeds, meaning Carlisle would spend another season in the Third Tier of English football.

The 2008-09 season began with the sale of 2 key players for a combined total of £1.5 million. On 18 June 2008, Kieren Westwood left for Coventry City F.C., for an initial £500'000, while Joe Garner left for Nottingham Forest F.C. for £1.14 million, triggering a clause that made Carlisle sell him. Fans favourite Michael Bridges returned on a season long loan from Hull City. Meanwhile, there was action off the field, as, on 3 July, a consortium of local businessmen, led by director and accountant David Allen completed a takeover of the club from Fred Story. Carlisle's start to the season was one of their best, maintaining an unbeaten run in the league throughout August. However, this was followed by one of the poorest runs in form of recent Carlisle United history - with only one win since August, and a 6-game losing streak (ended by a draw at home against Peterborough United F.C.), Carlisle United currently languish near the bottom of League One. On 3 November, Carlisle announced that they had parted with John Ward "by mutual consent", and Greg Abbott became the caretaker manager of the club. On 5 December, Greg Abbott was announced as the permanent manager of Carlisle, after his performance in his 6 game stint and low wage demand had impressed the board enough to appoint him. Carlisle secured their place in League One after beating Millwall 2-0 on May 2 and Northampton Town were relegated to League Two. November 2009 The Blues reached the 3rd round of the F.A Cup for the first time in nine years after an impressive 3-1 win over Norwich City in a foggy evening fixture at Brunton Park

Full name: Carlisle United F.C.

Nickname(s): The Cumbrians, United

Founded: 1904

Ground: Brunton Parl (Capacity:18,000)

Chairman: Andrew Jenkins

League: Coca-Cola League 1

Training Facilities: Average training facilities

Youth Facilities: Average youth facilities

Media Prediction: 17th

Finances: £330,000

Transfer Budget:

The club begins the game with a transfer budget of £0 to begin with but by adjust the wage budget you can gain close to £300,000 if you wish.

Wage Budget:

The club starts out with a wage bill of around £24,000 and by adjust the budgets you could get around £30,000 for your wage budget.

Squad

Squad Overview

Goalkeepers

Carlisle start the season with two newly signed goalkeepers in Lenny Pidgeley and Adam Collin.

Of the two keepers Pidgeley has the better pedigree having began his career at Chelsea and played for Millwall. While his stats are nothing special replacing him shouldn't be any sort of major concern either as he should be able to do a job at League 1 level.

As back-up at this level I wouldn't worry too much about replacing Collin either as any money would be better spent strengthening other areas of the squad, although if you manage to gain promotion I would recommend trying to bring in a better keeper, offloading Collin and perhaps using Pidgeley as 2nd choice.

Recomendations

Lars Stubhaug (free), John Bateman, Grzegorz Szamotulski (free)

Defenders

Defence doesn't really need any major overhaul as the current players can all do a job however one thing I have noted is that they do lack pace at the back.

At right back former Liverpool youth product David Raven is the club's strongest option and someone who should in all honesty porbably be replaced if a better option can be brought in within the allotted budgets. His value is £50,000 so it might be worth trying to bring in a free signing or loan player and offloading Raven to make funds available for strengthening other areas.

Other right backs at the club are former Blackburn youth product Tony Kane who is should provide adequate cover and can be trained to cover the left back position aswell in the case of emergencies, and Richard Keogh who is firstly a DC but could fill in at DR if you are struggling with injuries.

At left back the club has better options available with two Irish internationals in Ian Harte and Peter Murphy. Either player could slot in at left back and do a good job, both are cultured players, comfortable brining the ball forward and it's worth noting that both of thhem can also slot in at DC as well. Harte is still a class act and really stands out at this level but due to his declining pace I would recommend using him at DC more than DL.

another option at DL if you need a bit more pace there is Evan Horwood. He is quicker than Harte and Murphy however he isn't as good on the ball and as such should only be used as cover or when your opponent's have a pacey right winger.

There are some decent players to choose from at centre back although this is where the lack of pace is most obvious. As mentioned above, neither Murphy nor Harte have much pace and the other options aren't any quicker.

Danny Livesey is a strong player who is good in the air. His contract expires at the end of the first season and at 24 it's worth trying to tie him up for another year or two until a better, faster replacement can be brought in.

Richard Keogh is the other DC and like Livesey he too is dominant in at air. Keogh is the fastest of the DC's at the club but that isn't really saying much and his strength and stamina really aren't good enough for a first choice DC.

I would recommend starting with Harte and Livesey at DC and bring in Keogh against sides with a bit more pace upfront.

Recomendations

Godwin Antwi (free), Dejan Stefanovic (free), Elliot Omozusi (free), Izzy Iriekpen (free), Jason Beardsley (free), Ben Starosta (free), Rene Van Dieren (free), Corry Evans (loan), Ritchie De Laet (loan), Miguel Rebosio (free)

Midfielders

Carlisle's midfield is pretty strong, but like the defence lacks a little bit od pace.

On the right the strongest option is Kevan Hurst and at 23 I wouldn't make replacing him a priority, he should be good enough at League 1 level but wouldn't be able to make the step up should you gain promotion.

Joe Anyinsah is probably the next best right winger at the club but unfortunatley his stats on the game don't reflect his ability irl and so while he is reasonably quick and a decent dribbler he hasn't got much flair or creativity to compliment his talents. I'd certainly keep him around for the first seaon though and try to train him to exploit his strengths as he could prove useful coming off the bench to change a game.

Scott Dobie can also be used out wide on the right and while he does everything ok, he does nothing very well and should really only be used incase of injuries to other options.

The left side of midfield is one of the areas that requires strengtheing at the start of the game. Matty Robson is the only out and out left winger in the squad and like Anyinsah, his stats on the game aren't reflective of his real ability. I can only imagine that his stats were used from his days at Hartlepool because I've seen him numerous times this season at brunton Park and he has plenty of pace and can go round his man with complete ease but on the game he has very average stats for pace, acceleration and dribbling and so should only really be considered as back up once a better player is brought in.

Hurst can fill in on the left if needed but the fact that he is strictly right footed and much needed on the right means the only other options for the left would be Evan Horwood or Peter Murphy, both can do a good job if needed but neither is going to terrorise opposition defences.

In the centre of the midfield Carlisle have Graham Kavanagh, Paul Thirlwell and Marc Bridge-Wilkinson.

Kavanagh is 35 at the start of the season and will turn 36 in the December so he obviously doesn't have the legs to be playing week in week out anymore. I would highly recommend keeping hold of him though as he can certainly do a job for at least one season. He is a hard worker and tidy passer who will keeps the ball well. He is the club's top earner on £2,500 a week but his contract is up at the end of the first season so you might want to try and get him to hang around for another year provided you can get him to lower his wages.

Paul Thirlwell is, like Kavanagh, a defensive minded midfielder and at 30 should be kept around for a season or two as he will prove useful when resting Kanavagh or even playing alongside him when playing the better teams in the division.

Bridge-Wilkinson, or 'Bridgey' is the most attack minded of the MC's at the club, he is 30 but unless a better, younger replacement can be brought in I would hang onto him for the first season. he can take free-kicks and corners and is a tricky little player who could also fill in on the right of the midfield if needed. However he has interest in him at the start of the game and with a £45,000 valuation you might want to have a look around and see if a replacement can be brought in sooner rather than later.

Recomendations

Ashley Grimes, Max Noble (free), Seyfo Soley (free), Rohan Ricketts (free), Guillaume Beuzelin (free),

Strikers

This is where any available funds should be invested at the start of the game as the club are very light when it comes to strikers.

Richard Offiong is a new signing at the club and with his impressive pace and decent stats for finishing, dribbling and composure he should be kept around as at 25 he is young enough to spearhead a good few promotions campaigns.

However a strke partner will need to be acquired to compliment Offiong's skills. Scott Dobie can fill in upfront to start with but he hasn't really got the stats to be considered a regular.

Of the players available Joe Anyinsah can also provide cover for the strikers although he hasn't got the strength needed to really compliment Offiong's abilities so he shouls only be used as cover for Offiong not alongside him.

Recomendations

Michael Bridges (free), Vincent Pericard (free), Willy Topp (free), Michael Mifsud (free), Ibrahima Thiam (free)

Good luck to anyone playing as Carlisle!

Thanks pal, hoping to get a decent thread going for Carlisle. I know they won't be a very popular team to manage but hopefully there might be a few people up for having a go with them

I managed them on 09 had a great season, did good in the 1st season finishing around 8th :thup: But got sacked in the 2nd :( Might give it another go on FM10, because of Pericard and Harte :cool:

Pericard doesn't start the game with Carlisle but he is available on a free. I managed to sign him on a 2 year contract for £800 a week. I was surprised that no-one else was interested in him. I'm hoping he can replicate his real life form for me on my save.

I've also managed to bring Michael Bridges back for his 3rd spell with the club so I've got plenty of options up front now.

• 2 weeks later...

into my 3rd season with carlisle as they are my hometown club, first season got promoted through playoffs, first season in the championship finished 15th,thought i had done well was rewarded with no transfer kitty so another season with free transfers and loanees, 2nd season halfway through and about the same position but the chairman is selling all my players, i now i have 5mill in the transfer kitty players wan't to come but i can't afford the players wages, reality i suppose, dont you just love jenkins.

into my 3rd season with carlisle as they are my hometown club, first season got promoted through playoffs, first season in the championship finished 15th,thought i had done well was rewarded with no transfer kitty so another season with free transfers and loanees, 2nd season halfway through and about the same position but the chairman is selling all my players, i now i have 5mill in the transfer kitty players wan't to come but i can't afford the players wages, reality i suppose, dont you just love jenkins.

Well done getting into the Championship mate. Carlisle are my hometown team too but recently I've been more into my Liverpool save. I'm gonna have to start again with Carlisle with the new patch, especially if you get Pericard from the start.

If your wage budget is too low you could always try editing your transfer kitty a little bit to free up a bit more for wages.

well done on starting a blues thread, what do you find works best tactics wise for carlisle? and can you recommend any staff to recruit, in fact any tips would be great many thanks,

all depends on what patch your using and what formation you prefer, i started on patch 10.1 with the better half's 4-1-3-2tactics, then had to change to loversleapers 4-4-2 pack on 10.2 good luck with your game.

Well done getting into the Championship mate. Carlisle are my hometown team too but recently I've been more into my Liverpool save. I'm gonna have to start again with Carlisle with the new patch, especially if you get Pericard from the start.

If your wage budget is too low you could always try editing your transfer kitty a little bit to free up a bit more for wages.

forgot about that thanks, will have to wait until end of this season as i'm in feb now, pericard very hit and miss 46aps 15 gls on my game used him mainly as back up, used willy topp and michael mifsud also got a spanish forward arnal 45aps 26gls.

Finally got round to started a new game with Carlisle on patch 10.2. I'm up to Nov in the first season and after a very rocky start to the season results have started to even themselves out a little bit.

I'm struggling defensivley due to the fact that my defence is so slow and Pidgeley seems to make it a personal mission to make things difficult for the rest of the team by letting in some howlers.

Table

Signings

Brought in John Sutton on a free from Motherwell and he's been brilliant so far, keeping Pericard out of the team. His value has shot up to over £1 million so I tried to extend his contract beyond the end of next season but he isn't interested. I'm hoping his goals might help us to a promotion before the end of his contract, either that or I'll have to try and cash in on him as the club are around £400k in debt.

I was a bit surprised that we actually managed to sign Tobias Grahn. The swede is the highest payed player at the club on £3k a week but there was interest in him from some decent European sides. He plays as an advanced playmaker alongside Thirlwell in the centre as Kavanagh hasn't got the legs for 90 mins anymore and I've been pleased with him so far but like Sutton, I only signed him on a 2 year deal and he won't extend.

I've brought in David Noble to take over the playmaker role from Grahn. He was out injured for 4 months at the start of the game so I managed to get him before anyone else started showing an interest. He is a good passer of the ball and is 2 years younger than Grahn. However after making his first start for the club (and getting 2 assists!) he got injured again. It wasn't a bad injury but I just hope that it isn't a sign of tthings to come as he could have an important role for the club.

I think for the club to make the next step up and push promotion I'm gonna need a better GK and a couple of faster defenders, but as a Carlisle fan I actually like Harte, Livesey and Murphy and really don't want to drop any of them, especially since I made Livesey club captian and Murphy vice captian. I suppose I can't let sentiment get in the way though if I want to take the club forward.

I've already gone £2k a week over the wage budget so without offloading anyone in January any new arrivals will have to be on loan

• 2 weeks later...

just a quick update on my carlisle game just finished my second season in championship pretty much went the way of the first thanks anfieldid for the tip on wages just in the middle of starting my 3rd season, here are a few screenshots of season 2011/12.

transfer's season 2011/12 http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7817/carlisleunited.png

league table http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/1995/cocacolachampionship.png

squad and final ratings http://img707.imageshack.us/img707/3075/carlisleunited2.png

will update as season progresses

finished my 3rd season in the championship her is my transfers,carlisleunited3.th.png

final league table.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/2529/cocacolachampionship2.png

this was my best moment of the season without a doubt,

http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/5118/manutdvcarlisle2.png

if i had stuck to one formation perhaps it would have turned out better, oh well her we go again next season about to start.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived