Home of the Mighty Saints

Club Information

Nation England

Year Founded 1908

Status Semi Professional

Reputation Local

Chairman Status Happy to stay

Legends Steve Clark, Phil Wood, Wilfred Minter

Icons Colin Lippiatt, Lee Clarke, Peter Risley, Kevin Mudd, Richard Evans, Paul Bastock

Favoured Personnel Ben Martin, Ryan Frater, Luke Thurlbourne, Solomon Shields, Paul Hakim

Fierce Rivals Boreham Wood

Other Rivals Stevenage, Hitchin, Enfield, Aylesbury, Chesham, Weymouth, Bishop's Stortford

Finances Insecure

Average Ticket Price £10.00

Average Season Ticket Price £175

Estimated Value £325k

Continental Competition None

Media Prediction 12th

Squad Personality Professional

Captain Ryan Frater

Starting Budgets

Transfer Considering you inherit the club with almost £400,000 in debt, it's no surprise that there is no transfer budget to deal with

Current Wage Expenditure As you begin the game, £5,960 will be being spent on wages

Wage Budget You will receive £4.4k for a target of 'mid-table finish' while choosing 'top half finish,' 'promotion' or 'winner' will result in a £4.8k wage budget. So quite a lot of work to do there, then.

The Squad

Goalkeepers

Paul Bastock Recently voted Boston United's greatest ever player, the veteran goalkeeper is a fan favourite at the club, and in the short term is more than capable between the sticks on FM10. I suggest keeping him as your first choice for the first season before looking for a replacement.

Michael Emery Former Rushden and Diamonds youngster, the eighteen year old should only be used as back up for Bastock. If you want a more reliable back up, you may have to look for possible loanees.

Defenders

Ryan%20Frater.jpg

Club captain Ryan Frater

Alex Bailey A very useful right back at this level, Bailey's pace and attacking ability mean that you have a real threat up the right hand side. Personally, I would suggest re training him to become a right midfielder too (only takes a couple of games) and use him as a quick winger.

Jackson Ohakam Although he is a young right/centre back with average stats, I would suggest releasing him to ease the wage budget as he is one of the few players you can let go for free. However, should you wish to keep him he would make for adequate back up.

Bradley Thomas Thomas is a fairly average at this level, and should only be used as back up. However, he is, in my opinion, the third choice centre back so could be used over a number of games as the season progresses.

James Fisher Equally adept at right back or in the centre of the park, Fisher has become one of the more recognisable faces around Clarence Park in recent years. Personally, I recommend playing him behind Bailey at right back due to the strong central midfield partnership the club has.

Ryan Frater The club captain, Ryan Frater is one of the first names on the team sheet. Reliable and commanding, you can count on Frater to do a job at centre back.

Mark Peters Assistant manager Mark Peters has good heading and tackling stats, but his lack of pace makes him vulnerable against quicker teams. He should be used only as back up, and is a fairly average assistant manager.

James Quilter Quilter is the club's second best centre-back and should definitely partner Frater at the back. They should provide a fairly solid centre back pairing and Quilter's good passing ability makes him an ideal 'ball-playing' centre back. Can also play in a defensive minded central midfield role.

Adam Everitt The left back has fairly average stats across the board, therefore this is a key area for improvement. Can also play on the left side of midfield.

Jamie Thurlbourne A young left back who provides cover for Everitt, you may not see Thurlbourne as good enough for this level. I would agree with this and suggest letting him go once his contract runs out, using Everitt as back up for a new signing. Like Everitt, Thurlbourne can play, and is probably more effective, at left-midfield, his crossing and pace make him a reasonable midfielder. It is up to you whether you keep him as a utility player.

Midfielders

Luke Thurlbourne A snarling midfield general, the young former Southend player has become a favourite with the Saints fans following a series of committed performances in the blue shirt. Together with Solomon Shields, he forms arguably the best central midfield in the division. I suggest playing him in a more defensive, 'ball winning' role, letting Shields be creative and goal-scoring.

Ryan Maxwell With good passing stats, Ryan Maxwell is definitely worth keeping. What's more, he begins the game with a year's contract on £0 a week, so you've got a decent back up central midfielder for free. Bargain!

Darren Quinton Another central midfielder, Darren Quinton is more good back up, and is competent across the midfield, so should get a number of games over the course of the season.

Solomon Shields Saints fans were left drooling when manager Steve Castle announced the permanent signing of Solomon Shields. The former Leyton Orient youngster had spent time on loan with City during 08-09, so when he signed in the summer, City fans couldn't wait to see him and Thurlbourne in the middle of the park. Should definitely start with Thurlbourne - can you use them both to their full potential?

Jonathan O'Donnell A useful young winger who has only developed this season and therefore the stats on him are not too accurate. However, if you can get him playing like he is in real life, you have a real prospect on your hands.

David Galbraith A winger who, on FM10, is definitely one of City's better players. His pace and dribbling ability make him a real threat and should be started as much as possible.

Forwards

Gary Cohen A quick striker who can play on the wing, Gary Cohen is one of the more dangerous weapons in City's arsenal. Although not famed for his goalscoring abiltity, his threat to defences mean Cohen is indispensable and, while up front with Hakim, is one half of a potentially lethal strike force.

Paul Hakim Arguably the club's best player, Paul Hakim could be scoring goals in League Two, let alone in the Blue Square South. In my experience, he has finished top scorer in the BSS while I sank into mid-table obscurity, so he can be the difference between you going up, and you getting relegated.

Drew Roberts An expert penalty taker and pacey attacker, Roberts could start up front with Hakim should you decide to have Cohen on the wing. He is definitely dangerous back up, and is another player who can be used on the right side of midfield.

Daniel Chillingworth With a less-than-desirable scoring record, Daniel Chillingworth should be your fourth choice forward, and I suggest releasing him once his contract is up, as the £250 spent on his wages could be better used elsewhere.

Youth and Reserves

Be sure to look out for Godfrey Poku, a midfielder who has broken into the City first team this year and Henry Atu, a former Leyton Orient young striker.

Personally recommended line-up

GK - Paul Bastock

DR - James Fisher

DL - Adam Everitt

DC - Ryan Frater ©

DC - James Quilter

MR - Alex Bailey

ML - David Galbraith

MC - Luke Thurlbourne

MC - Solomon Shields

FC - Gary Cohen

FC - Paul Hakim

The Challenge

Often describe as a sleeping giant of non-league, the Saints have the potential to climb out of the Blue Square South with careful but intelligent management.

First, you will have to control the club's budget and reduce the wages gradually to eventually put the club back into the black. Although it is a fairly daunting task, it can be done with the help of good cup runs and sly contractual management.

Secondly, can you hold on to your biggest assets? The likes of Solomon Shields and Luke Thurlbourne could well grab the attention of league clubs, and unless you progress quickly enough through the league structure, they could well be poached from you.

Finally, the famous city of St Albans is missing one thing - a league club. Can you be the man to take City up through the leagues and overtake Watford as the pride of Hertfordshire?

clarenceparksnowfeb10.jpg

The Club's ground Clarence Park

Thanks for reading, and most of all...

Come on you Saints!

NOTE: To be updated following release of Patch 10.3.0, with revised player profiles and budgets etc.

• 1 month later...

Good thread mate! have been looking to start a blue square season so decided to give St. Albans a go! maybe some more people will follow suit as so far seems like its going to be good challenge!

Well heres my progress (loaded both england and scotland with additional players loaded from both nations):

Obviously with quiet a tight budget pre-season transfer activity was limited:

Signed:

Gerry Mclaughlin - 19 year old scottish GK - ex- clyde player - decent keeper with low wages

Marc McCallum - 16 year old scottish GK - ex- dundee united - great potential

Niall Thompson - 35 year old Canadian striker - bit of a journeyman but will do a job hopefully

Scott Wagstaff - 19 year old winger / striker - on loan from Charlton - been superb so far for me

I had a host of potential targets but struggled to get the players in i hoped! spent most of the time attempting to sign ex-Chelsea brighton, ect, ect forward Leon Knight but typically he was a stubborn little.... so left it at that!

Attempts to sell or get rid of players is proving hard - released Ohakam and Barnes, while a few on high wages linger in reserves with the hope i can offload them at some point.

Had a mixed pre-season which has followed into my season start

1-1 Dorchester Away - Thurlborune scorer

0-0 Worchester Home

3-2 Eastliegh Home - Wagstaff, Hakim, Thompson

1-2 Welling Hime - Wagstaff

Trying to get some more lads in on loan, just got watford as a parent club so will see how that works out for me.

well will update things again when they get going!

Into second season just after being promoted through play-offs. Currently 19th after quite a few draws. Soloman Shields has really come into his own though, I swapped him for Mark Farthing (free from luton) Soloman scored one from twenty yards, another one from 30 yards and then a penalty. First choice ever since :) Can't seem to beat the big teams tho!

Trying to get some more lads in on loan, just got watford as a parent club so will see how that works out for me.

well will update things again when they get going!

Yep, Leyton Orient aren't a very good parent club are they ?

Personally, I've decided to wait until the post-Jan patch to start my City one.

Good to hear you've started solidly. Welling are a good side on the game, underachieving in real life.

Good luck :)

Uploaded this in case you wanted to use it in the opening post, as I think it looks pretty cool and it shows Minter, Wood and Clarke.

img4817p.jpg

I've also got some shots of the ground, of the players and of the Saints City Trust logo. Probably don't want too much though as it'll look cluttered and the OP looks perfect as it is. :thup: Just thought I would mention it. :) Let me know if you want anything else from me.

Edit- quite like this as well:

park408.jpg

Personally, I've decided to wait until the post-Jan patch to start my City one.

Yes, I'm waiting until the January patch too, so I can start with the final data update. Then I will be having a major long-term save with City. I can't wait! :D

From a researching point of view, I'll be doing quite a bit of work on Godfrey Poku and 'JJ' O'Donnell in particular for the next patch. They will both make managing the Saints an interesting prospect indeed when 10.3 comes out, I feel. That's if we can hold on to them until then in real life. :( Regardless, the Saints have a talented young squad this season and I think there is good potential there for building to push for the Conference in the future on FM.

Obviously, there has been quite a few changes to personnel since the last data patch, so I will be working hard to get things as up-to-date as I can for the post-January data patch (usually out in Feb or early March, I think). :)

Anyway, great work on this thread Ryan and I will be updating on my progress here when I start my Saints save on 10.3. :thup: I hope to read about lots of other peoples' adventures managing the mighty Saints! Good luck everyone!

I think put the 'Welcome to St. Albans City' sign at the very top underneath your 'Welcome to the FM10 St Albans City Thread' title. It would look good there.

The put the photograph of the ground back in underneath the 'Club Information' part if you still have it. Otherwise I could try to find you a good shot of CP.

Then maybe put the St. Albans City Centenary design towards the bottom of the page. Perhaps above the 'Challenge' section.

That would be my opinion. :thup:

I didn't realise Ryan Frater was even playing for them... I used to play football with him as a kid... always a good player, but surprised to hear he's playing almost professionally. Kevin Foley is a different story though!

Crouchaldinho,

Unfortunately, you can't have more than four images in one article/post, so I decided on the layout you can see above. Good idea putting that 'Welcome to St Albans City FC' pic under the Welcome... bit :thup:

Any more suggestions, text or pics, just shout, and I'll put them in, for example if you want me to change my evaluations of players etc.

Anyway, won't be long till I have redo some of it, once the patch comes out, eh?

• 3 weeks later...

On my 4th season with St Albans here! Been doing pretty well if I say so myself! Will post screenshots of the teams of the year and what positions I ended up!

Season 1

Made 2 major signings of Sean Doherty and Niall Thompson with many short term loans from my feeder club QPR!

Signings in/out

signings09.jpg

League Table

Season went down to the last game, with me needing Braintree to lose or draw and St Albans needing a win! Luckily I pipped it on GD!

position09.jpg

Team of the season

Hakim and Thompson did most of the leg work, my defence were insanely leaky at times!

team09.jpg

Will post season 2 + 3 soon, and how I am doing at the moment in season 4!

Season 2

Predicted 22nd, I saw a very hard and disappointing season ahead! But alas I managed 12th and got overachievers in my league for the second year in a row!

Signings In/Out

I am slowly sending my scouts into France to pick up some gems!

signings10.jpg

League

With 2nd worst defence in the league, things need to be sorted out...

league10.jpg

Team of the season

team10.jpg

Season 3 - To the football league!

Predicted 17th in the league, I was some what of a surprise package this year!

Signing

Utilising my scouts I managed to get some gems from France!

signings11.jpg

League

Suffering from mid-table obscurity at the start of the season, suddenly a string of good results and winning streaks means the impossible is not so impossible for St Albans, with us finishing 2nd in the league and winning the playoffs, thanks to an own goal and penalty at Wembley! I had 84 points btw, silly tool tip hoverover!

league11.jpg

pastposition.jpg

Team of the season

My defence had gone from one year being 2nd most conceded to the joint least conceded! Whether this will be the case in league 2 is a different story, but I feel safe with a good keeper coming in next season and Ben Smith as backup!

team11.jpg

I understand the large images may be a bit of an annoyance, sorry if they are against any forum guidelines, will change ASAP if they are! Hope you other Saints can do as well if not better!

• 4 weeks later...

Just been taking a look back at this thread. Chris' adventures with the Saints have got me so excited for the new patch! I've been thinking of line-ups etc, and I'm hoping this will be more successful than FM09, when I got the Saints to the Championship.

Started on the new patch with St Albans City, and have had a great start. This is the BSS after nine games.

BSS.jpg

The transfers I have made are as follows:

Transfers.jpg

The stand out man has been Bobby Traynor, whom I found in the NLP, and decided to snap him up, but didn't think he would be this good. He has ten goals in his first nine!

BobbyTraynor.jpg

As you can see, I managed to get Poku back on loan, but only for three months for the time being, as he didn't want a longer term move. Will keep you all updated :D

Would like to say another massive thanks to Crouchaldinho for all his hard work - another great update!

I will update the original post in a couple of days once I have assessed the players a bit more.

How did you find him in the NLP? Was he in one of their top players lists? I can't remember.

You got Godfrey Poku back. :cool:

Yes, I think he was in the top scorers list or something.

JJ wouldn't come back though :(

In the first team at Luton. Godfrey would only come back on a short term for me, but I hope to extend that when it is up.

Minor update!

Season 4

Predicted 24th in the league, but will break the league position high for St Albans wherever I come! Did a bit of wheeling and dealing at the start, bringing in a few new players and getting rid of those I don't consider League 2 standard, however, I tried to keep some players consistent as to make the team gel faster!

Signings

signings12.jpg

League

Overachievers again! Mid table was good! Predicted 23rd next season haha.

league12.jpg

Team of the season

Defence was surprisingly solid, and my attack did well!

team12.jpg

I have since dropped off, due to injuries and some poor form in the cups which transferred into the league unfortunately, but we're hanging on to the play-offs.

I have added some familiar faces to the ranks at the Saints. Lee Flynn has come in as back up for Peter Smith, while Lee Clarke and Luke Thurlbourne have also rejoined. I almost got Tom Davis, but he, understandably, opted for BSP side Forest Green.

Ben Greenhalgh, winner of Football's Next Star on Sky1, has signed on loan, and has done very well on the left hand side of midfield. Bobby Traynor was out for a month and a half, which contributed to our drop in form. I am wondering about a change in formation, what with the signings of Thurlbourne and Greenhalgh, and am unsure as to whether to swap to a 4-3-2-1 with attacking wingers.

EDIT: I have just signed Ben Martin to sure up a leaky defence, as it looks like we are heading for a mid table finish, which is very disappointing considering our good start. :(

So plenty of things to think about there, how have you all been getting on?

Entering season two after a disappointing first season. Have been put into the Blue Square North and have a very limited budget. Should be difficult. I am abandoning the 4-4-2 and am going for an adapted 4-5-1, as follows.

GK - Paul Bastock

DR - James Fisher

DL - Peter Smith

DC - Ben Martin ©

DC - Ryan Frater

DMC - Godfrey Poku

MC - Tom Davis/Luke Thurlbourne

MC - Solomon Shields

AMR - Paul Buckley

AML - Paul Hakim

FC - Bobby Traynor

Season 5

Predicted 23rd, I was ready for another disappointing season! But instead, I came 8th, and had a very good FA Cup run, getting into the 4th round before being dumped out 3-1 away to Cardiff!

Signings

signings13.jpg

Bought in my loans for the season and a few more signings to strengthen the squad, but keeping some regulars for consistency, Danny Bunce is still in my team, the only guy to stay there since the start when I bought him now.

League.

league13.jpg

Another strong second half of the season display sees me 8th in the league and one point from the playoffs

Best Eleven

team13.jpg

Bruce dominated the season for me, scoring and setting up goals like nobody with his pace, dribbling and strength. After this season I am playing a deep 4-2-3-1 though.

Currently midway through season 6, I am in the playoffs for league 2, and although I was knocked out of the FA and league cup, I have a JPT Southern Final bout with Cardiff, the team that apparently wants me as their manager! Also England won the 2014 WC, with the CB pairing of Wheather and Davies...

Another update! I'm off to Wembley! Drew at home 0-0 to Cardiff, to win 2-0 away in the JPT Southern Final :D

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived