XML Parsing Error on Vista

I have read the general guidance on how to fix the 'XML parsing error', but I am confused on how to apply it to Vista. I would really appreciate some help!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RE The XML Parsing Error

I installed the game through steam, but have now set up a quick launch option.

When I go to properties it reads: "C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 10540.

Where should i input the --reset_preferences command? Should i add it on at the end so it reads...

"C:\Program Files\Steam\steam.exe" -applaunch 10540--reset_preferences?

Also, when you say you should switch it back once the game is running-does this mean you have to minimise the game and then delete the --reset preferences command?

Presuming it works, would i then have to manually add the --reset preferences command everytime I load the game and then remove it whilst it is running?

I would appreciate any help. I am not very computer literate so would ideally like to be taken through the process step by step.

Many thanks

Andrew Lewin

Thanks for the link, I have followed the advice but im still not quite there. I have done stage A without a problem.

For stage B it says 'go' to C:\Users etc

Im not entirely sure what that means, but I presume it means you should just be opening the football manager folder?

I do this by typing football manager into the windows search bar and opening the folder. When I open the Football Manager folder it has the following sub folders:

db

games

matches

skins

sounds

tactics

Have i navigated to the right screen? If so, I cannot find a 'settings' folder to delete- even though I made the changes advised in section A

Many thanks for your continuing help

Andrew Leiwn

C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\

that is the location to find it click the little flag in the bottom left on vista and choose from the menu on the right just below recent items computer once you click computer a box will open with your hard drives and disk drive and so on choose under your hard drives c drive this will open another box with folders in it, one of those folders should be users open it and choose your name and then choose aapdata then roaming then sports interactive then football manager and delete what you need to

bigguy - thanks. I am OK up the bit you describe. Once in users I can find no "aapdata"

have you set it to show hidden folders and have you clicked your name that your logged on the computer as, have you opened that folder say your name is peter in users there should be a folder called peter but its what ever name your logged on with so once you open users folder your name should be one of the folders open it and look in it for what you need

• 2 months later...
OK bigguy sorted thanks - it starts....but wont let me load my last saved game (2 years in???)

Hi Dean,

Hope you see this, are you still having problems opening your saved game? Is it just a case you can't see the file in the Dialog box for opening your saves?

I had this issue on Vista after following the fix method I am posting below which worked for me, my saved games are actually stored in a folder called install anywhere and a seperate FM09 folder, I have opened her up and seems to be working beautifully. I just happened to come across this thread in blind panic as my game of four months had the passing error just now for no reason. I was playing it four hours ago for gods sake.

This fix worked for me....

1. Right-click on the FM 2009 shortcut.

2. Choose "Properties" from the pop-up menu. In the "Target" field, add the --reset_preferences command line option after "fm.exe", so it should look like this:
"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences
3. Press OK and then try to run the game as normal, using the shortcut.

4. You'll want to remove the command after you run the game, as otherwise it will continue to reset your preferences every time you launch.

If you don't have a shortcut you can make one and then perform the instructions on the shortcut you've made.

* If you purchased and installed the game through Steam you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory: C:/Program Files/Steam/SteamApps/Common/Football Manager 2009/
* If you purchased and installed the game from a boxed DVD copy you should be able to find the fm.exe in the following directory: C:/Program Files/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2009/

The Target Path has to be typed in exactly this format or it doesn't seem to kick in;

"C:\Program Files\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2009\fm.exe" --reset_preferences

Hope this helps somebody....

Archived