Manager Endurance

Motlhen

The idea: Pick a nation to manage in. Load all playable leagues for that nation. Take control of the team predicted to finish last in the bottom division and aim for the first division title.

The vision: This is going to take a while but, if successful, repeat in another nation (with a new save.) If the idea is picked up by others, create a points system & leaderboard.

The trial: Choosing where to start: "I've always wanted to manage in Scotland."

Elgin City

Month 1.

• Staff revamp.

• Promoted 4 youth prospects to the first team. (No competitive fixtures for the U20's.)

• Got the board to agree to search for affiliates.

• Two of three Scottish Cup draws.

• Four free signings.

• Contract re-evaluations & extensions.

• Friendlies.

• Choose captain & vice.

• Challenge Cup 1st Round.

Competition expectations:

To avoid a relegation battle. (With one team entering a relegation play-off at the end of the season, this translates to "don't finish bottom.")

The minimum expectation in each of the 3 domestic cups is that we are not expected to get beyond the round at which we enter. So at least I've guaranteed board satisfaction on that front.

Affiliate responses:

Heriot-Watt University. National loan partnership. No fee.

Celtic. National loan partnership. £22.8k annually.

Friendlies:

W:2 D:1 L:2. Overall a poor pre-season. No one is match fit and we should have won at least 4 of the 5. Why did I leave the assman in charge!?

Cup Draws:

Challenge Cup 1st Round: Arbroath (away.)

League Cup 1st Round: Rangers (away.) - I would have loved a guaranteed home fixture here, can we make it happen?

Competitive Fixtures:

Challenge Cup 1st Round

Arbroath 3 - 2 Elgin City

We instantly replied to going 1-0 down after 3 minutes, by levelling a minute later. We took the lead on half an hour but conceded as h/t approached to go in level at the break. We had more possession but couldn't convert this into substantial chances and they broke the 2nd half deadlock from the penalty spot with twenty minutes to go and we had no reply.
Not entirely discouraging though.

Fun Fact:

We got £400 prize money for the loss to Arbroath. I guess every little helps.

Elgin City

Month 2.

• League Cup 1st Round

• Domestic league begins.

• Look for emergence of key players.

• 1 more free transfer in, one transfer out.

• 3 loaned to feeder club.

• End of transfer window.

Competitive Fixtures:

League Cup 1st Round

Rangers 2 - 0 Elgin City

We did brilliantly to limit them to 1 shot in 45mins, only to concede in stoppage time at the end of 1st half to go in with dented confidence. We can be proud it wasn't a drumming as they only got their 2nd late in the game. We were given £10.5k prize money - a little more substantial.
No surprises here.

League 2

Arbroath 0 - 1 Elgin City

A tentative start from both teams. More of a scrap than a smash and grab.
A win to start the campaign!

Elgin City 3 - 1 East Stirlingshire

We went 1-0 down early on. A five-minute spell turned the game on its head before h/t and the game stayed in the balance until we sliced them open and finished convincingly in the 90th minute.
Two from two. Two players in Team of the Week. Top of the league.

East Fife 0 - 1 Elgin City

A brilliant goal on half time. But for the first time the opposition dominated the highlights.
Hanging on, but victorious

Elgin City 1 - 0 Stirling

1st against 2nd. We missed a penalty and got a man sent off before the half time whistle and it felt like it wouldn't be a day to remember. 16y/o AML John Main comes on in the 80th minute and scores the winner in the 82nd. The keeper has been outstanding so far. A smash and grab to hold on to our 100% record.
A glimpse of the future?

Transfer out::

Falkirk asked if they could have one of my 5* rated youth prospects for literally nothing. But now of course he's upset about me blocking the move and Raith Rovers wouldn't accept my negotiations after their attempt at robbing me too so he went public with his unhappiness. Falkirk came back offering £6k upfront, with £4k in instalments, arrange a friendly and 50% of next sale. Done deal.
A risk to accept. We'll see what happens.

Fun Fact:

After checking the biggest wins & defeats, I don't think I'll ever come close to an 18-1 win and hopefully I'll stay miles away from a 14-1 loss too. A first manager of the month award for me!

Elgin City

Month 3.

• Attempt to keep up form.

• Draw for Scottish Cup.

Competitive Fixtures:

League 2

Montrose 2 - 1 Elgin City

The first loss. We actually played at a similar level to the first four games, just without the luck we had relied on to hit the back of the net more times than our opponents.
A step back.

Elgin City 2 - 2 Berwick

Yet again far more shots and possession than the opposition. We took the lead, but were then looking at another 2-1 defeat before being saved by a penalty.
Problems at both ends to be looked at.

Queens Park 1 - 1 Elgin City

A battle, but mediocre performances from both teams. Still problems at both ends. MC & AMC are the two stand-out performers thus far.
Dull.

Annan 2 - 0 Elgin City

We were poor against the team above us in 1st. It could have been way more and now there's a sizeable gap between where we started the month and where we are now, sitting in 3rd.
Slipping

Cup Draws:

Scottish Cup 2nd Round: Cove Rangers (home.)

Fun Fact:

A winless month following an unbeaten month has left me pondering what's to come.

Elgin City

Month 4.

• Re grasp form.

• Scottish Cup 2nd Round.

Competitive Fixtures:

League 2

Elgin City 3 - 2 Clyde

A must win to get back on track and it happens to be against the bottom club. We made it hard for ourselves but we got the result that our performance deserved.
Something positive.

East Stirlingshire 3 - 0 Elgin City

Quite a convincing win, very happy.

Scottish Cup Second Round

Elgin City 2 - 2 Cove Rangers

A terrible result to a team in the unplayable leagues. We were lucky to draw and were very complacent.
We must make sure in the replay.

Scottish Cup Second Round Replay

Cove Rangers 4 - 3 Elgin City

I was so angry at this result. We went 2-0 and 3-1 up before completely throwing the game away. I need to sort out the defence in the transfer window. I was hoping the youth would be enough to get by until they matured into their potential, but the results are being hampered by the lack of quality.
Added to the to-do list.

Fun Fact:

A second manager of the month for me, with 3 Elgin City players making player of the month and 2 of 3 making up the young player of the month. Terrible to end the month exiting the third cup.

Archived