exploitation options vs formation

From your experience, does the success of distribution options depend on advantange or disadvantage in certain areas of the pitch? For instance: if my opponent leaves some space in the middle (like he's not using any DMC) it's good to exploit the middle, but! - is it related to how the formations line up against each other?

Say it's flat 442 vs 532 with three-man MC line. They leave the DMC slot open for exploitation allright, but how are two of my MC's to compete against their three? Would it be advisable to not focus passing through the middle then?

Another situation: 442 Diamond vs 442 flat. Again, they leave the middle unprotected and additionally I have an AMC in the spot. But then again, are DMC and AMC positioned vertically going to be victorious against a two man flat line, positioned horizontally?

Third example: 4222 (2 DMC's, 2 Wide midfielders) vs flat 442. The opponents leave the pocket unprotected again, and in the central area of the pitch we have 2vs2, 2DMC's vs 2MC's. But can I really count my 2 DMC's as a potential through-the-middle offensive asset? Isn't that strictly defensive area of the pitch?

I played a lng save with 442 on fm13 and i find out its pretty easy to deal with the different shapes in the middle..

if u are up aganst 3 cm midfield use a more narrow instructins so that ur wingers help u in the middle and use defensive minded cms in ur tactic if its a strong side u are up against, and the opposit might work if its the other way around u might wanna use narrow with overlaps if u are the stonger side if they play 352/532.

when up against diamond 442 u are actually one more mc in offense and one more in defence it u set it upp properly i used Defens/support role in cm with play out of defence so u get a 2vs1 in the build up play and then u pick foward role that can help u cover their dmc for me it worked well with deep laying forward and set him to mark their dmc. this way u can keep your defensive shape and still have their dmc under controll. i usually focused passing in the middle to abuse the 2v1 situation and u might wanna play with a wider shape so their "solo" mcs cant keep both ur mcs under control

Thanks. And what role would you give to DLP in the following setup?

GK

FBs CBd CBs FBa

DLP

Wa BWMs Ws

APs

AFa

I tried to go with Defend and make him my holding player, but that leaves my BWM alone during the build-up phase, mostly against (at least) 2 enemy MC's. However I'm kind of afraid that setting him to Support might leave my backline too exposed.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived