Tactics

This is the first year I've played the mobile version and I've seen teams play 2 poachers (nobody up front linking with the midfield) in a flat 442 also an AP and BBM (leaving a big gap in front of the defence) in centre midfield also in a flat 442.

I've played the full version for years and read stuff on these forums about pairs and combos. I'm lead to believe these combos wouldn't work well. I suppose you could potentially get any player roles to work up to a point. However, is this just bad management or does player roles act differently on the mobile version?

• SI Staff

One of the interesting things about football is there is no perfect formation or tactical solution and often it is possible to nerf an opposition tactic if you're aware of how they play, however sometimes their approach might be wildly successful but contain inherant risks.

For instance if you're playing two fast poachers against a slow defense then you may not need 'link up' play because you're content playing balls over the top into channels and hoping your strikers can out-run the defenders ... that will be incredibly effective in the right circumstances unless the opposition decide play a conservative defense and drop deep preventing your preferred style ... etc.

(similarly an AP and BBM will give a fairly aggressive midfield from an attacking perspective but may well leave a weak point defensively ... as to how important this is depends entirely on the team involved and how the opposition set themselves up ..)

PS - A manager's tactical approach is generally viewed as genius or flawed depending on results entirely .. think of Mourinho at Chelsea this year in comparison to last year ;)

Yeah, I assumed there was some method behind the madness of the mentioned tactics.

I was just wondering if the mobile version is as reactive to tactical changes as the full version? For example, if a midfield did have an AP along side a BBM and I stuck a player in the AMC to exploit the space they have left would the mobile version recognise this? Im used to watching the match engine on the full version to see these kind of tactical changes happening.

Archived