EHM - 'HITCH' Message + Corrupt Game After Restarting Computer

Hello, looking for help here and wondering if I'll be able to restore my save data. I shut my computer down shortly after saving (about fifteen-thirty seconds), which I've noticed seems to be a problem judging from some posts here although I haven't been able to find why, or if anything can be done about it.

When I restarted my computer I noticed my save file was renamed 'HITCH' in place of the default team name. Upon trying to start the game it also mentioned not being able to read the scouting info list. My backup saves are still playable, though I lost quite a bit of progress and would like to be able to salvage this particular game if it's at all possible.

I expect that the game is just corrupted and I'll just have to redo my progress, though in that case I would still like to know what caused this crash and how it can be avoided in the future (if it was the shutting down, how long should I wait on average, for example?)

I'm not able to post images as attachments (assuming because I've just signed up for this forum) but if/when I get that ability I have several shots of what I'm talking about, if needed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SI Staff

Sounds like the saved game might have been corrupted due to shutting down the computer too quickly. Once the game itself has closed down, it should be normally safe to shutdown but the disk write times can be system dependent so hard to say exact times. In these cases, most often there is very little that can be done as corruptions with the saved game file usually mean a lot of data is lost and recovering it even manually with the debug tools can be impossible. Backup saves are always a good option.

Archived