Advice on my Wrexham tactic please

Yeah, I know. Why Wrexham? LOL. My home town and I'm a sadist.

Now we got that out of the way, firstly I must apologise cos I don't know how to do screenshots. Tried and failed with gyazo.

Bit of background. Wrexham at the start of the game have no 'flat' wingers, (just a single AML and AMR). Very little pace or stamina throughout the squad. Our most creative midfielder (Keates) is 35, and with the exception of Clarke, the midfielders are all 5'7 or under. So I'm pushed into a 4-3-3 or a variant there-of, opting for a 4-3-1-2 as I have a decent AM in Durrell and a ready-made replacement in Thornton. As we have no pace or stamina, I thought a slow, patient style would be best.

Mentality: Control Fluidity: Fluid

TM Sup AF Att

Trequatista Att

BWM Def; DLP Sup; BBM Sup;

LB Att CB Def CB Def RB Att

Team Instructions: Shorter Passing, Work Ball into Box, Retain Possession, Early Crosses, Exploit the Middle, Drop Deeper, Tighter Marking, More Disciplined and Lower Tempo.

I have the full backs 'going wide' crossing often from deep.

The Box to Box Mid, I have dribbling more, passing shorter and shooting less. The Ball Winner, shoot more often (his long shots are the best in the Mid). The DLP I've asked to dribble less and attempt fewer risky passes.

The Trequartista I have shooting less often and getting forward

The Target Man is instructed to hold up the ball, while the AF is moving into channels and shooting more often.

My thinking behind this tactic is the full backs provide the width and crosses. The midfield I hope is set up to create short, possession based passing, while providing support to the front line and the AF moving into channels while the trequartista is moving forward I hope will create indecision and loss of shape in the opposition back line, while the TM stays in position to further disquiet the defence while laying on chances. I keep the tempo low as the team have no stamina, and I look to retain possession for the same reason, I don't want my players exhausting themselves chasing the ball. Conversely, I want them to press hard, to regain the ball quickly when they do lose it. I'd rather they get tired doing the latter. Dropping deeper, I'm hoping will prevent balls over the top, again we haven't the stamina or pace to turn and chase.

I've had seriously no luck with FM 14 so far, so I'd be grateful for any advice on this tactic before I waste more hours and days getting fired. If anyone can tell me how to post screens, that'll be good too. Thanks!

I thought a slow, patient style would be best.

Mentality: Control

Control and fluid aren't quite what you might (reasonably) expect, and probably won't give you the slow patient style you're seeking - control is actually quite 'attacking' and increases tempo, defensive line, etc.

Standard, with either balanced or very fluid may suit better; if you really want to rack up possession, don't be afraid of the Counter (or even Defensive) settings. It's all a little counter-intuitive.

Control and fluid aren't quite what you might (reasonably) expect, and probably won't give you the slow patient style you're seeking - control is actually quite 'attacking' and increases tempo, defensive line, etc.

Standard, with either balanced or very fluid may suit better; if you really want to rack up possession, don't be afraid of the Counter (or even Defensive) settings. It's all a little counter-intuitive.

I agree- when I need possession, I will use counter or defensive styles. Combined with a fluid approach I get nice movement and it works well for me, particularly with squads that are below the divisional standard in speed.

Archived