Suggestions Please.

I have not played FM for quite a long time - last one was probably 2009 - and believe that I am getting to for Christmas. No doubt things have changes during the missing years and hopefully someone will be able to give me some advice to get me started again.

I normally choose a Team from the Lowest level available and see how far I can get with them.

I would appreciate any help offered.

Thanks.

Peter.

Swansea.

Hi Peter. Much like you I was still playing FM09 up until about.... 4 months ago I think. I took the plunge and bought FM13 because my old laptop died and needed to be replaced.

FM13 was all exciting and new and I soon loved it, (it's still not FM09 but how can you ever compete with such a long save like that).

The biggest change for me was the doing away of sliders, (I think it's an improvement), so just take your time when you first come to create a tactic and keep it pretty basic to start with and then add things as situations occur which need your tactic to adapt.

The other thing that caused me a few problems and might affect you is the new player roles. It was pretty basic in FM09 and roles within positions were not really there, (at least the pre-sets and the names given to them weren't there).

Now you have defenders who might be central defenders, limited defenders, stoppers, ball-playing defenders etc etc.

Further forward it's even more confusing, (at least to me), with complete forward, false nine, advanced forward, inside forward, target man, trequartista, defensive forward and of course poacher. What some of these do and what the difference between them is, still baffles me on occasion. Luckily your Ass Man is there to guide you. My advice in this respect is just go with your gut feeling, (even if it turns out to be wrong). Also, if a tactic isn't quite working, be prepared to keep the same tactic but to change the role assigned to some of your players. This can have quite a big impact on it's own.

Related to this, each player now has a "duty" as well as a "position" and a "role". It's all this combined that allow the new tactical instructions to work.

If you are anything like me you will be instantly blown away by the improvements, but you will also miss your old save, (but that soon goes away). just relax and enjoy it and I'm sure you will pick it up fine.

Good luck.

Archived