FM14 - Lennons Tactic

This tactic is quite different from others hence why you need to build a team for the tactic.

FORMATION

It is a 5-2-1-2, although more attack minded.

http://imageshack.com/a/img19/5723/dr71.jpg

Because it uses wing backs, 3 central defenders and an attacking midfielder, it probably won't be suitable for most teams so you need to adapt. At Sunderland they over loaded with unknown and untested players. Only £6m available for transfers and realistically would be happy to avoid relegation. I sold a couple of players then bought in Matias Fernandez (AM) and Marco Motta (RWB) which meant with the players i already had i could play a player in each position. From next transfer window onwards i will look to improve the quality of the players. The formation keeps the players together and makes triangle passing from defence to attack easy and is a joy to watch. Because you have so many attacking players which are central, opponents must play narrow to stay with them, this leaves huge spaces for the wing backs to gain advantage.

It is therefore important to get decent wing backs. The Attacker Midfielder is another important player. The Deep Playing Forward is another important role and you need to find a player who prefers that role, some players play better some don't. So, you have several important positions rather than relying on one. This is difficult for the opposition to defend against because you have different options.

DECISION MAKING

With the exception to the odd game when you seem to do everything right but still do not win, every game is winnable. The crucial point is in the decision making.

there are two critical points when decision making.

1 - Starting Mentality

2 - When to change it

Starting Mentality is easier. If you are Favorites go with Attacking, If you expect a close match - Control. A tough match either Defensive or Contain, when i beat Arsenal i started with defensive then changed to contain later. We won 2-1 and had more shots than Arsenal.

When to change the mentality is when you really earn your wages, it often makes the difference from a lose to a win or vice versa. With the correct information when to make the decision is easy. During the game you must change to SPLIT VIEW screen. Click info first then split screen. You need to have the match stats in there.

Right now you can watch the game, highlights etc but at the same time watch how the game is developing.

When watching the game the shots is the important stat, if you are getting more shots then your opponent then you have a better chance of winning. If your opponents are getting more shots then you need to act accordingly. Drop from Attacking to Control or to Standard according to how the game is going. Also consider dropping to either defensive or contain during the last 20 minutes if you are winning by 3 goals or less. Against Cardiff i was 3-0 up at half time and left it on attacking and they pulled two goals back and he quickly changed to contain to see the game out. With a team like Sunderland you should not expect to be able to play attacking football for 90 minutes.

http://imageshack.com/a/img199/8468/ozzm.jpg

I played the squad players who had not played a game in the Tranmere Cup game.

http://imageshack.com/a/img707/650/1ymt.jpg

It is early days after only 6 League games but clearly unbeaten and second top shows there is something worth working with.

Because the tactic is different i would STRONGLY recommend starting a new season, trying to bring in the odd player that the formation needs and give it a full pre-season. Use the pre-season to learn about decision making and when to implement it. Although i would add that friendlies do not give a true reflection of real League action. It is good though for fitness and getting the players used to the formation.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4ki0rt

CLICK THE PART WHERE IT SAYS 'CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD FROM SEND SPACE'

***UPDATED VERSION... PLEASE READ NOTES BELOW... (1/12/2013)***

http://www.sendspace.com/file/br9jlx

TRAINING...

I took control of training during pre season, I started off with fitness set to high. Then with about two weeks before the first game I changed to Team Cohesion. Then about 4 days prior to the first game I changed it to Assistant Manager. You get lots of advice during the game but I ignore it! Often it will say 'We should be hitting more direct passes' but, why? That risks losing possession, we want to keep possession and play the ball forward. Media comments is a minefield too, be careful as one bad comment can cause a defeat.

My next game was against Man City (A) which was my biggest challenge so far. I started on DEFENSIVE but by 12 minutes they had 4 minor shots to my zero. I changed to contain and a little while later took the lead. City fired back with 2 goals from Free Kicks, but we came back to lead 3-2. City got another equalizer from a corner and both teams had a good chance to score a winner but it ended 3-3. I'm happy that despite the obvious talent Man City have they never scored from open play. The defense in this tactic looks good. We do concede a lot of free kicks but we need that in order to get your players to tackle.

I think you uploaded the wrong tactic. The Sendspace download is for Lennons 3-3-3-1 v2. I have changed the positions to the ones in the opening post, but have the team instructions changed?

Wish someone had pointed that out earlier! Sorry my mistake, the formation was work in progress before i finally settled on v3. Then i started a new season and have only used that version.

LENNONS TACTIC V.3

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4ki0rt

I think you uploaded the wrong tactic. The Sendspace download is for Lennons 3-3-3-1 v2. I have changed the positions to the ones in the opening post, but have the team instructions changed?

The opening post formation and instructions is correct. Drag the players to the correct positions and change each setting to do it manually. You need to match the Middle and right player settings. Like DLF, P, AP etc then the right one is like A, S, D etc. But the tactic for download has now been updated.

Yeah I did that. For what it's worth, working well through the friendlies. Dominating possession and scoring quite a few goals.

Don't get to confident with Friendlies, all tactics work well then! The real work starts when the league kicks off. What team are you? Are you able to cover all player positions naturally?

Don't get to confident with Friendlies, all tactics work well then! The real work starts when the league kicks off. What team are you? Are you able to cover all player positions naturally?
I'm just about to start the competitive games now. Got decent players in all positions, cover is thin though. As for my team, I could tell you, but I don't think you'll like it :p

I'm just about to start the competitive games now. Got decent players in all positions, cover is thin though. As for my team, I could tell you, but I don't think you'll like it :p

You don't need to say anymore, not sure whether i want you to be a success though!

You don't need to say anymore, not sure whether i want you to be a success though!
Haha!

I like the way this tactic builds from the back, picking up quite a few yellow cards though, no reds as yet. Just drawn 0-0 away to Palace, their keeper played a blinder. We were all over them.

Next is home to Spurs so a good test.

After the Man City draw we also drew the next two games even though we clearly had more chances, but i noticed my strikers were not hitting the net. So for the next game, at home to West Brom in the Capitol One Cup i changed the two strikers settings. The left one to Poacher and the right to Complete Forward. it worked as we won 3-0 and into the Quarter Finals. I do not mean that the first setting was wrong but that after awhile you may need to change as the other teams try to work you out.

http://imageshack.com/a/img30/4329/nkfs.jpg

My fears are proving correct, next two games were Southampton (H) and Swansea (A), both winnable games. Drew with Southampton and had a 92 minute goal ruled out. Lost 0-5 to Swansea and had TWICE as many shots as them! Still top 6 in the Premier League and Qtr Final of the cup so I'll see if it changes soon.

I think it is more down to the game than the tactic. After that 0-5 defeat by Swansea morale dropped for all players to very low. In FM 14 low morale seriously affects the players and whilst you can carry the odd player with low morale you cannot carry the whole team. I think it is wrong though for morale to drop so fast after one game which we had more shots than the opposition and were in the top 4. Results after that were mixed with another 0-6 trouncing by Man Utd in the Cup. So i went to contain for all games to try and grind out some results. We beat Chelsea (1-0) and Newcastle (1-0) but were beaten 1-4 by West Brom when it said afterwards 'West Brom strike lucky'.

I have been running a trial and it appears that it works well while in DEFENSIVE abnd CONTAIN mentality. It says while in 'contain' you will not attempt to score and yet I appear to score more frequently. Currently starting a game in the Skill North with North Ferriby to see how it will work at that level. It will be a stiff test for the tactic as they have a small budget. Brought in one right wing back on a free transfer and now there is no budget for anymore even on loan. So my left wing back will be from a left back and no depth in squad. We have scored 11 goals in the last two friendlies using only defensive or contain mentality. I will be keen to see how it goes when we hit the real action.

• 2 weeks later...

***NEW VERSION***TACTIC UPDATED***NEW VERSION***TACTIC UPDATED***NEW VERSION***

Have not said anything for awhile as i have been tweaking this and trying new ideas. Finding out what works best and what does not.

So this is my latest version...

It is exactly the same formation as above.

Some tweaks have been made throughout the settings.

Less in game decisions need to be made.

I started a new season with TOTTENHAM. They are a good Premier team with i think the top is beyond them as they are not a Man Utd or Man City. For the purpose of this tactic i chose them as they are reasonably good. I signed NO players at all and made no changes to the staff. In their squad there are some players who are not suited to the tactic so with some good man management they could be sold and better players brought in. But i made no changes at all.

On training i choose Fitness on high for most of the pre-season then one week before the first game i changed to TACTICS set to high. This ensures that the team go into the season with a good understanding. Once we reach the first game i pass the training over to the Assistant.

After 6 games, 4 in the League and 2 in Euro Cup, i won 3 League Games and drew one and won both Euro Cup games. We are top of the League unbeaten with 10 points from a possible 12.

PRE MATCH DECISIONS...

I prefer the setup where one striker plays the advanced role with the other one dropping off. But this can be tweaked to suit your own players. Look at how many stars the role the player is suited to. It will not hurt to change these around from time to time anyway. In central midfield you should select one BALL WINNER and the other could be a box to box or Central Midfielder.

IN MATCH DECISIONS...

I start HOME games with FLUID, away games set to RIGID. Most of these i will use CONTROL mentality whilst dropping to STANDARD if my shots on target ratio is not converting to goals. The formation is already attack minded so DO NOT goto ATTACKING mentality even if you feel you should win a game. Control with either Rigid or Fluid should be enough for most games. If the goals aren't coming drop to standard. To protect a lead in an important game goto DEFENSIVE or even CONTAIN.

These basic instructions have worked well for me aloough i would be keen to try with other teams when i have time.

NEW VERSION

http://www.sendspace.com/file/br9jlx

Up until the game against Man Utd things were going really well, no complaints about the defeat against Man Utd though as they were the better team. However my concern was, would the typical rot set in after that defeat?

The next game it appeared so, a 0-0 draw where i seemed to create plenty but could not score. Then the defeat at Everton where i created more chances. My players just did not seem to be doing what they had been doing any longer. So i went back to TRAINING and set it to TACTICS again. Left it on for about 10 days then switched back to the Assistant. We won the next game but blew to many chances so for the next game witch we were expected to win, i changed to VERY FLUID. It really seemed to help as we threw everything at them. So if you are creating plenty of chances but not scoring try giving them more fluidity.

http://imageshack.com/a/img189/7017/o3vm.jpg

Not the hardest group but considering that people are saying this is the hardest FM to date, that is not to bad.

http://imageshack.com/a/img41/8906/n5st.jpg

The seasons objective was qualifying the the Euro Cup. I believe that should be achieved but fully expect to aim for Champions League. This is done with no changes to players or staff at all. With some good man management i believe i could be challenging for the title.

http://imageshack.com/a/img21/9931/qss2.jpg

It is all in the pre match decisions!

For this game i chose DEFENDING for TRAINING for one week upto the game. Then i went for VERY RIGID and CONTAIN. Arsenal never really had a good shot, fully deserved the win i thought.

Sitting in 4th place with two winnable home games and just two points off second.

Why no feedback? I'm guessing that it is not working for other teams?

So i am trying myself with various teams to see the effect.

In France i am trying with TOULOUSE. I don't have great knowledge of French football but i do know that Paris St. German and Monaco are the big spenders. Toulouse are expected to fight against relegation. I have only played 3 games so far but it has started really well. Won both away games, one of those at Monaco and drew the home game.

http://imageshack.com/a/img801/4200/e629.jpg

If you are trying it with a team and it's not working let me know. I tried it with Staylebridge Celtic from the Non-League and although it worked i found using FLUID did not. At that level RIGID is better.

http://imageshack.com/a/img11/5112/dtnk.jpg

Maybe this Brizilian Pernanbuco State Champiuonship is not the best competition to judge the tactic. The games seemed to be way to easy and for some games i was as much as 1/50 to win! It is fun though and something different so i'll continue as it should get tougher once we start the League games shortly. For my last test i am going with Fiorentina in Italy. After that i will keep moving each team onwards to see if i can maintain what seems to be good starts all around.

In Italy with Fiorentina it is possibly the poorest start out of all the teams i have tried. For a club who aim to qualify for the Euro Cup as a minimum we are 9th in the League after 5 games. I'm not to concerned though as i felt some of the results could have gone in my favor and we have qualified for the Group Stage of the Euro Cup.

Another team i did a test with but did not include the progress is Heerenveen from Holland.

After 5 games they had 8 points and are in 4th position.

All the teams i have chosen you could argue that none of them will win the league BUT all of them are over achieving their targets set by the board.

Another thing i just remembered is that when selecting my team i always use the QUICK PICK and then only alter players if i deem it necessary. This way players are getting selected according to their roles required, otherwise you may be selecting to many square pegs in round holes.

I do not mean playing a player out of position, but a player who is more suitable to the ROLE.

10 LEAGUE GAME UPDATE...

Heerenveen - 6th, 15 pts, 8 games unbeaten, through to Dutch Cup 3rd Round

Shalke - 3rd, 19 pts, top of Champions League Group (Napoli, FC Porto & Man City)

Toulouse - 2nd, 22 pts, domestic cups to follow.

Malaga - 2nd, 22 pts, 5 wins in a row.

Nautical - Pernambuco State Championship - won a record 7 from 7.

Florentine - 12th, 13 pts, top of Euro Cup Group Table.

With exception to Fiorentina, all teams are progressing well and are all in a position to challenge for the title.

At the 15 LEAGUE GAME STAGE...

HEERENVEEN - 5th Position, 24 points Through to Dutch Cup Rnd 3

SHALKE - 3rd, 32 Pts. 8 pts clear of 4th, Qualified To Champions Cup Knockout & German Cup QTR Finals.

TOULOUSE - 1st, 35 pts. 8 games unbeaton. Still in all domestic cups.

MALAGA - Were sitting nicely in 2nd position when my game froze, reloaded last save but didn't go so well.

5th, 25 pts. Still in Domestic Cups.

NAUTICO - Won Brazilian Pernambuco State 1st Stage with 100% record. In Stage 2 so far, P8 W6 D2 L0. Won 1st round of Brazilian Cup.

FIORENTINA - 7th, 22 pts. Top of Euro Cup Group. Domestic Cups to come.

Archived