Is there such thing as a financially sound football club??

In all the time i've ever played FM (bearing in mind im 16) i've never been at a club that has actually made a monthly profit without selling players.....

It has occured to me that if a team such as any one of the big 4 was to miss out on europe and/or have an exceptionally bad domestic season then the financial implications would be crippling...generally chairmen of clubs aren't in it because they love the club, they just want to make money and get some publicity for their other interests, so if this scenario did occur, people like Hicks, Gillet and the Glazers would have some serious money issues, all of them have transfered thei debt to their football clubs and if the clubs suddenly didn't make any money in TV and prize money then what would happen to them.....? :eek:

In all the time i've ever played FM (bearing in mind im 16) i've never been at a club that has actually made a monthly profit without selling players.....

It has occured to me that if a team such as any one of the big 4 was to miss out on europe and/or have an exceptionally bad domestic season then the financial implications would be crippling...generally chairmen of clubs aren't in it because they love the club, they just want to make money and get some publicity for their other interests, so if this scenario did occur, people like Hicks, Gillet and the Glazers would have some serious money issues, all of them have transfered thei debt to their football clubs and if the clubs suddenly didn't make any money in TV and prize money then what would happen to them.....? :eek:

Leeds are the perfect example of what happens when you build a club up on the basis of being in the Champions League next season. Most chairman (you hope) would have enough to cover them if they failed to qualify for Europe.

Most of the smaller clubs are able to operate without needing to sell players and still be profitable. I think all of my BSN, BSS and BSP clubs have always been profitable, even if they arn't very successful.

Cheers

Onkster

Buying a football club is not something someone does to make a large profit or investment, a lot of money is thrown at the club. It's usually done because they want a go at football or because they're American and feel like 'branding' (they love that word) something, and up go the ticket prices (further).

Archived