European Match Scouting Question

i've drawn Stabaek in the UEFA Cup (i'm Man City - i fancied an "easy" game after a really challenging lower league struggle) and in my scout report before the match i just get the generic "haven't seen them play, but they'll probably line up 4-4-2" message. the thing is, i have a Norwegian scout who i've set up to scout Scandinavia for me - is there any way i could ask him for a more detailed analysis of Stabaek - strengths, weaknesses, likely match set up etc?

if not, i think it'd be a nice little addition to be able to call on other scouts in situations like this, where my "Next Opposition" scout has been unable to watch the team in question. you could maybe even ask Feeder Clubs in the same country too if they can tell you anything. or even a favourite former player from the country who might know a thing or two. if we're wanting FM to be more "real", then surely the first thing any manager would do in this situation would be to call up your scout in that country.

it's not a major issue i know, but i do get annoyed by the "haven't seen them play" message when i have a scout in that country.

Only because their league isn't loaded (or unplayable in some cases). I don't see how asking feeders would make a difference if the league isn't loaded because the game doesn't know what past matches to go on.

in this case the league is loaded. i don't know why my scout didn't catch one of their games, but he didn't. it happens a lot with cup games against lower leagues teams as well - just the generic "didn't see them play" report, if you can even call it that.

it doesn't make any sense to me why i can't get a more detailed look at their team - danger men etc - when i have a scout from that country, scouting in that country. in the real world the first thing a manager would do is call that scout and as him, or some other contact in the country - a feeder club, ex-player etc.

i'd rather have a message from my scout in this situation saying, "I'm sorry but my current workload means that I haven't had a chance to see this team play" with a drop down menu saying "Ask another scout/coach". most would say the same obviously but my Norwegian scout could at least say "While I haven't seen <insert team> in the past few weeks, I am familiar with them and they are likely to play a 4-4-2 formation, and <player> will be a threat from midfield with his pace and vision." something along those lines. it might be basically the same information you get in the generic report now, but it could have a little more detail about players and it'd seem more real to me to get better information that way - the scout who works in that country all the time will know better than my main opposition scout who might only catch one game and even then he often doesn't even do that. games are coming thick and fast right now (every three days) so he's dropping the ball in places.

like i said, it isn't a major thing for me but it doesn't make sense to me that i can have a scout in that country and yet still get next to no information about the team i am facing. i don't see why i can't ask a scout specifically about one team in a one-off situation.

Archived