Graphics card, information and advice required, please.

Initially, let me start by informing you that I am not pc literate. Now that everyone knows that I am a "thicko", I'll proceed.

I currently have a graphics card that is "dedicated" for the first 256mb. If it requires any more after that it is able to "borrow" a further 740mb from the pc's memory of 2gb's. So I am informed by my local pc shop. They can upgrade my graphics card to a 512mb dedicated card. All this begs the following questions.

1. How much memory does FM'09 require to run the game? I am playing it using the 3d match, the four English and three Scottish Leagues in playable mode. I have 2gb's of ram. A Pentium dual core @1.86 and a 225gb hard drive. I think that is it all.

2. What improvement will having 512mb graphics have upon the game and use of memory from the pc? Does having 512mb dedicated graphics use less of the 2gb of ram? Recommendations and opinions will be of immense assistance to me. Kind regards.

1.) 2gb should be enough even is some of it is stolen by the gfx card. You can check your memory consumption with the task manager.

2.) A proper gfx card wont use any of your ram. Dont know if this will help with the performance since the FMs graphics are so painfully obsolete they should work on pretty much any card released in the last 10 years.

BTW: the amount of ram on the graphics card says nothing about its speed. A crappy gfx card with 512mb wont be any better than a crappy gfx card with 128mb.

jakobx, I don't have any other information about the new graphics card, other than what I have given. I just assumed that by getting the 512mb it would automatically be an improvement. Am I right in thinking that FM'09 uses more than 256mb for the graphics? That is what is concerning me the most. I can't upgrade my 2gb of ram any more. That is the most this pc will take. If anyone from SI [testers] etc could assist I would be eternally grateful. Kind regards.

jakobx, I don't have any other information about the new graphics card, other than what I have given. I just assumed that by getting the 512mb it would automatically be an improvement. Am I right in thinking that FM'09 uses more than 256mb for the graphics? That is what is concerning me the most. I can't upgrade my 2gb of ram any more. That is the most this pc will take. If anyone from SI [testers] etc could assist I would be eternally grateful. Kind regards.

if you have got xp type in the run box dxdiag if youve got vista type it in in the search box once it opens click save information at the bottom and save it to where you can find it then open it and highlight it all and copy it and post it back in here

if you have got xp type in the run box dxdiag if youve got vista type it in in the search box once it opens click save information at the bottom and save it to where you can find it then open it and highlight it all and copy it and post it back in here

bigguyinthesky, Thanks for trying to help but what you ask is beyond my pc knowledge. I know about the dxdiag and msconfig but I can't copy and paste into these forums. I tried screenshots once and that was a disaster. I shall probably get the better graphics card as it will not use any of the 2gb ram and therefore leave more ram for general use. Kind regards.

Archived