Question about getting a new job

I started out as Man City, played through a season and won the domestic treble so fancied a new challenge. Halfway through the next season the Inter job came up so I applied for it, and got it with no problems.

Won the Champions League with Inter that year, then the Champions League and Serie A double the next year (first time I've ever retained the CL), so again I was looking towards pastures new.

I noticed Blackburn had just gotten relegated from the Premiership and still had most of their better players, so I applied for that and unsurprisingly got it. Took Blackburn back up with record points/goals scored totals whilst trying out thebugel's 4-3-3 (very nice mate), and the next year thanks to some awesome free transfers (Hatem Ben Arfa and Alex Witsel chief amongst them) I was hovering in and around the top 6 come winter. This is when the Barcelona job came up...

Applied for it, and was rejected. "Oh well, no biggie" I thought, and carried on with Blackburn. Then successively I applied for Roma, Arsenal, Fiorentina, Lazio and Palermo and was rejected for each one. I've heard about other peoples troubles getting a new job, but having got the Inter job so easily I was surprised to be rejected by these teams, especially Lazio and Palermo. Did they not remember how I took an Inter side in disarray to back-to-back Champions League crowns?

So here's the question really: Was me getting the Inter job a complete fluke, and the top jobs are just REALLY hard to get no matter how successful you are, or is the algorithm deciding who gets the job heavily biased depending on the reputation of your current club?

In my game I had the chelsea job and then moved to club brugge and was still being offered all the big jobs without even applying. I have played 26 seasons though and have won a lot of titles and trophies. I'd guess that maybe you got a little bit lucky getting the Inter job at that point but after winning 2 champions leagues I reckon you should have got the other jobs. Maybe your current club's reputation is quite important but from my experience this hasn't really been the case.

I don't know, maybe my reputation hasn't increased all that much after only 3 seasons at big clubs no matter how much I won. I'm somehow managing to put in a title challenge in my first season in the Premiership with Blackburn, so I'm not really looking to move on any more, hehe :D

Archived