Creating Overall Ratings for Players

Hi, new guy here. Been playing the game for a little over a week now, you can follow my progress (such as it is) with Sunderland here.

I'm still trying to get my head around my squad, and I came up with an idea I wanted to share in case I'm reinventing the wheel. In other Text Sim Games, sometimes you will have an "Overall" rating for a player, in addition to all of the individual ratings. (In OOTP Baseball, Stars are used) What's making it difficult for me to get a good feel for my players is this lack of a general overall rating. (If it exists, someone please point me in the right direction.)

Using Marc Vaughan & Nick Habershon's Tips and Tricks guide, I have learned what the key attributes are for each position:

Goalkeeper:
Reflexes, Handling, Communication, Jumping

Wing Backs:
Positioning, Tackling, Pace, Anticipation, Stamina

Left/Right Defenders:
Positioning, Tackling, Pace, Anticipation

Central Defenders:
Tackling, Jumping, Positioning, Heading, Strength, Marking, Bravery, Teamwork

Attacking Wingers:
Pace, Dribbling, Passing, Off the Ball, Creativity, Crossing

Attacking Midfield:
Passing, Off the Ball, Creativity, Technique, Dribbling

Defensive Midfield:
Workrate, Jumping, Tackling, Stamina, Positioning

Fast Striker:
Pace, Acceleration, Dribbling, Technique, Finishing, Off the Ball

Target Striker:
Jumping, Heading, Strength, Off the ball

Using these "keys" I have developed a very basic system for generating an overall rating for a player at that particular position, but was wondering if anyone had already solved this problem or had any other ideas.

Thanks!

From your squad page, you can get a star-rating (out of 7) from your Assistant Manager, on a player's current ability, and his predicted potential ability. The stars are relative to the division you're playing in, and your expectations, so a 7-star player at Hull won't be as good as a 7-star player at Manchester United, for example. You get similar ratings on other teams' players from your scouts.

That's about as close as the game gets to an 'overall rating', I think.

The way attributes and Current Ability interact, there's actually a reasonably complex weighting system applied to each attribute, depending on a player's position - knowing those scores would effectively tell you which attributes are considered most important for each position. That weighting system isn't publicly available, though, and the only people that see it are the official researchers, when they're editing player stats.

The only thing to bear in mind, when creating your 'basic overall scores' for players is footedness. A player with a stronger 'weaker foot' will have slightly lower attributes across the board (again, this is due to the attributes/current ability interaction), but will play just as well in games because of the logical advantage of having a better weak foot. You can see how strong each foot is from the player's profile, by clicking on 'positions'.

I can't be bothered writing out each attribute or each position but I can say that there are some vital attributes missing.

For example, Concentration in defenders and Composure in strikers. Decisions is also really needed in all central players. GKs with good Positioning and even Anticipation will have an extra advantage.

Strength, Anticipation and Bravery in all defensive-minded players is a given.

Archived