FM 2008: Bristol City - Home of the Robins

Evon

40964273bristolcity2037tc8.jpg

Bristol City Football Club is one of two football league clubs in Bristol, England, (the other being rivals Bristol Rovers). They play at Ashton Gate, located in the south-western portion of the City. Gary Johnson has been the team's manager since 23 September 2005, succeeding Brian Tinnion. They were promoted to the Championship in the 2006-07 season after finishing second in League One.

Bristol City reached the 1909 F.A. Cup final where they lost to Manchester United, but they did win the Welsh Cup - despite being an English team - in 1934. In 1907 they finished runners-up in the old-league one, which is their highest-ever final position.

In 1982, Bristol City became the first English team to suffer three successive relegations and just before falling into the Fourth Division the original team went out of business. A new company and team - BCFC (1982) Ltd took their place, and by 1990 they were back in the Second Division. Another relegation followed in 1995, when City finished second from bottom in the new Second Division, and a return to that division three years later lasted just one season. Most of their seasons between 1999 and 2006 were spent challenging for promotion in the upper half of the division.

The club's nickname is "The Robins", and a robin featured on the club's badge from 1976 to 1994. Official club merchandise, including replica kits, still has a label showing a robin. A recent attempt by the club to alter the club's badge was abandoned after the club was criticized fiercely by fans.

Bristol City currently play at Ashton Gate stadium in the Ashton/Bedminster area of the city of Bristol, which has an all-seater capacity of 21,497. There have been plans, if the need arises, for expansion work to be carried out at their current ground. There have also been proposals to build a new stadium, the first option being a 36,000-seat stadium at Hengrove Park. In 2002, the local council was looking at possible sites for a new 40,000-seat stadium which would house both City and Rovers, but these plans were scrapped and it is widely accepted that this would not have been welcomed by the majority of supporters from both clubs. Ashton Gate's current capacity is a average size for Championship grounds, and it is still to be seen if the attendance figures in the Championship would require further expansion to the ground.

Staff

Manager: Gary Johnson

Assistant Manager: Keith Millen

Development Coach: Alan Walsh

Goalkeeping Coach: Stuart Naylor

Chief Scout: Pete Johnson

Fitness/Conditioning Coach: Glen Schmidt

First Team Physio: Nick Dawes

Academy Director: John Clayton

First Team Squad

1 GK Adriano Basso

2 DF Bradley Orr

3 DF Jamie McAllister

4 DF Liam Fontaine

5 DF Jamie McCombe

6 DF Louis Carey (captain)*

7 MF Scott Murray

8 MF David Noble

9 FW Steve Brooker

10 FW Phil Jevons

11 MF Michael McIndoe

14 MF Cole Skuse

15 FW Enoch Showunmi

16 DF Richard Keogh

18 MF Brian Wilson

19 DF Tamás Vaskó (on loan from Újpest FC)*

22 GK Chris Weale

23 FW Lee Trundle*

24 DF Christian Ribeiro

25 MF Marvin Elliott*

26 DF James Wilson

27 DF Jordan Walker

28 DF Martin Slocombe

29 MF Ivan Sproule

30 MF Tristan Plummer

32 GK Stephen Henderson

33 MF Lee Johnson*

34 FW Darren Byfield*

Jennison Myrie Williams is also part of the squad at the start but is not listed on the official website or on Wikipedia.

*= Key Players(until new ones come in icon_wink.gif)

Key areas to strengthen

There most definitely needs to be much more players at centre-back as they're either incompetent at heading/jumping-in Fontaine's case, both-or they're just too damn slow. A left back would also be nice, as well as an AM and GK. One place that you don't particularly need to improve is the strikeforce. But if you can buy Aaritalo, why not?

Players to look out for

Buonanotte - River Plate - 10k

Lehtovaara - Turun Palloseura - 3k

Aaritalo - Turun Palloseura - 50k

Cuthbert - Celtic - 50k

Barazite - Arsenal - 50k

Grosicki - Legia - 60k

Butler - Scunthorpe - 200k

Ingrao - Unattached

Lomski - Turun Palloseura - Free(arrives in January)

Lee - Man Utd - Loan

Zieler - Man Utd - Loan

Dzsudszak - Debrecen - 110k

Doudin - La Chaux-De-Fonds - 75k

Bozaglo - M. Haifa - 140k

Piatti - Estudiantes - 50k

Torje - Poli 1921 - 250k

Putilo - Dinamo Minsk - 120k

I found the majority of these through skimming through national teams and through my excellent scouts. You have to bid for them very early though, otherwise they will either be bought by a bigger club or the price will be pushed up. Raise the transfer budget to 800k too. And definitely try for some good scouts. And remember that you may have to bid more, only slightly sometimes, to get the players. Also, try to get players on loan from Premiership clubs if you still feel your squad isn't up to scratch.

Players to sell

Showunmi - 100k

Weale - 40k

Jevons - 100k

Noble - 150k

Basso - 100k

Keogh - 120k

McCombe, Wilson, Skuse and Betsy are also expendable. Betsy is just impossible to get rid of, while the others I'm not willing to let go until more players can come in. You can sell them if you want but I wouldn't, but if you can get rid of Betsy, you deserve a medal.

40964273bristolcity2037tc8.jpg

Bristol City Football Club is one of two football league clubs in Bristol, England, (the other being rivals Bristol Rovers). They play at Ashton Gate, located in the south-western portion of the City. Gary Johnson has been the team's manager since 23 September 2005, succeeding Brian Tinnion. They were promoted to the Championship in the 2006-07 season after finishing second in League One.

Bristol City reached the 1909 F.A. Cup final where they lost to Manchester United, but they did win the Welsh Cup - despite being an English team - in 1934. In 1907 they finished runners-up in the old-league one, which is their highest-ever final position.

In 1982, Bristol City became the first English team to suffer three successive relegations and just before falling into the Fourth Division the original team went out of business. A new company and team - BCFC (1982) Ltd took their place, and by 1990 they were back in the Second Division. Another relegation followed in 1995, when City finished second from bottom in the new Second Division, and a return to that division three years later lasted just one season. Most of their seasons between 1999 and 2006 were spent challenging for promotion in the upper half of the division.

The club's nickname is "The Robins", and a robin featured on the club's badge from 1976 to 1994. Official club merchandise, including replica kits, still has a label showing a robin. A recent attempt by the club to alter the club's badge was abandoned after the club was criticized fiercely by fans.

Bristol City currently play at Ashton Gate stadium in the Ashton/Bedminster area of the city of Bristol, which has an all-seater capacity of 21,497. There have been plans, if the need arises, for expansion work to be carried out at their current ground. There have also been proposals to build a new stadium, the first option being a 36,000-seat stadium at Hengrove Park. In 2002, the local council was looking at possible sites for a new 40,000-seat stadium which would house both City and Rovers, but these plans were scrapped and it is widely accepted that this would not have been welcomed by the majority of supporters from both clubs. Ashton Gate's current capacity is a average size for Championship grounds, and it is still to be seen if the attendance figures in the Championship would require further expansion to the ground.

Staff

Manager: Gary Johnson

Assistant Manager: Keith Millen

Development Coach: Alan Walsh

Goalkeeping Coach: Stuart Naylor

Chief Scout: Pete Johnson

Fitness/Conditioning Coach: Glen Schmidt

First Team Physio: Nick Dawes

Academy Director: John Clayton

First Team Squad

1 GK Adriano Basso

2 DF Bradley Orr

3 DF Jamie McAllister

4 DF Liam Fontaine

5 DF Jamie McCombe

6 DF Louis Carey (captain)*

7 MF Scott Murray

8 MF David Noble

9 FW Steve Brooker

10 FW Phil Jevons

11 MF Michael McIndoe

14 MF Cole Skuse

15 FW Enoch Showunmi

16 DF Richard Keogh

18 MF Brian Wilson

19 DF Tamás Vaskó (on loan from Újpest FC)*

22 GK Chris Weale

23 FW Lee Trundle*

24 DF Christian Ribeiro

25 MF Marvin Elliott*

26 DF James Wilson

27 DF Jordan Walker

28 DF Martin Slocombe

29 MF Ivan Sproule

30 MF Tristan Plummer

32 GK Stephen Henderson

33 MF Lee Johnson*

34 FW Darren Byfield*

Jennison Myrie Williams is also part of the squad at the start but is not listed on the official website or on Wikipedia.

*= Key Players(until new ones come in icon_wink.gif)

Key areas to strengthen

There most definitely needs to be much more players at centre-back as they're either incompetent at heading/jumping-in Fontaine's case, both-or they're just too damn slow. A left back would also be nice, as well as an AM and GK. One place that you don't particularly need to improve is the strikeforce. But if you can buy Aaritalo, why not?

Players to look out for

Buonanotte - River Plate - 10k

Lehtovaara - Turun Palloseura - 3k

Aaritalo - Turun Palloseura - 50k

Cuthbert - Celtic - 50k

Barazite - Arsenal - 50k

Grosicki - Legia - 60k

Butler - Scunthorpe - 200k

Ingrao - Unattached

Lomski - Turun Palloseura - Free(arrives in January)

Lee - Man Utd - Loan

Zieler - Man Utd - Loan

Dzsudszak - Debrecen - 110k

Doudin - La Chaux-De-Fonds - 75k

Bozaglo - M. Haifa - 140k

Piatti - Estudiantes - 50k

Torje - Poli 1921 - 250k

Putilo - Dinamo Minsk - 120k

I found the majority of these through skimming through national teams and through my excellent scouts. You have to bid for them very early though, otherwise they will either be bought by a bigger club or the price will be pushed up. Raise the transfer budget to 800k too. And definitely try for some good scouts. And remember that you may have to bid more, only slightly sometimes, to get the players. Also, try to get players on loan from Premiership clubs if you still feel your squad isn't up to scratch.

Players to sell

Showunmi - 100k

Weale - 40k

Jevons - 100k

Noble - 150k

Basso - 100k

Keogh - 120k

McCombe, Wilson, Skuse and Betsy are also expendable. Betsy is just impossible to get rid of, while the others I'm not willing to let go until more players can come in. You can sell them if you want but I wouldn't, but if you can get rid of Betsy, you deserve a medal.

good work... nice to see another bristol city player on here! not seen to many before!

i managed to get a play-off place in 1st season.. mainly due to Fraizer Campbell from Man U, superb!!

Other players i bought in were:

jack hobbs - Liverpool (Loan)

Vasko - make permanent as soon as possible (70-100k) agreed price of 100k from loan

Molina - unattached

michael woods - Chelsea (Loan)

Seth Johnson - Unattached

Short term loan though, I bet. They aren't included in the game. He's a great prospect though. A load of Premiership clubs are after him. Some were interested before I even played him. He must have a high potential. He's one you don't want to lose.

Early days but my squad is doing great.

City 2-1 Galatasary

City 2-0 Woking

City 3-0 Armagh

City 3-0 Burnley

City 7-0 MK Dons

Spent £925K

Kamil Grosicki £60k

Pablo Piatti £250k

Jukka Lehtovaara £12k

Charles Andre Doudin £110k

Jose Manuel Mendoza £300k

Jack Hobbs LOAN

Harvard Nordveit LOAN

Cristian Sarghi £190k

i1382803_BristolCity.jpg]My Team[/url]

All my players are now back from, injury,m the likes of Carey, Trundle, Grosicki etc. etc. Barazite is suspended though and Johnson is proving to be a poor replacement. I only just managed to scrap a 1-0 win over QPR due to a nice cross by Ingrao and finish by Sproule. I may use Buonantotte next game.

im about half way thru my season with bristol city and ive got exactly same team plus 2 or 3 extra than wat they got in real life and im first clear by 7 points in front of wolves. come on uuuuu redsssssssss..east end for life

• 3 weeks later...

Not many of us managing City then ?

Got promoted second in the Championship first season after being top for so long, my team seemed to want to self destruct near the end of the season and I ended the season on a bad run, only finishing second due to the points earned earlier in the season.

Finding it very tough in the Prem, I'm 18th at Christmas and my job situation was insecure before a random 3 - 1 beating of Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. Started the season well enough, beat Bolton and Boro, drew with Arsenal but have been soundly beaten on too many occasions since then. For some reason I seem to be 3 or 4 down within 10 minutes and then the game is fairly even after that. The amount of 4/5-2 losses is embarrassing, I've tried everything to sort out the back but not much luck so far. My last few games have been a 4-1 loss to Man United away (Van der Sar MOM !), a 3-1 win at Chelsea, a narrow 2-1 loss to West Brom at home with another GK MOM and a 7-1 victory over Stoke at home in the FA Cup, looking forward to Sunderland and Villa next.

My team is :

Ben Foster

Justin Hoyte

Eckersley,

Ramage,

Hobbs,

Torje,

Johnson,

David Jones,

Duff,

Stancu,

Kitson.

Reserves from Preston Edwards, Fontaine, Carey, McCombe, Elliot, Sproule, McIndoe, Trundle and Assancao has just joined in the transfer window.

I'm after a couple of fast defenders on loan to stave of relegation as I have a disturbing lack of pace at the back.

Ben Foster, Hoyte, Duff, Kitson? How did you get them? You've got a bloody good team. But I agree, Ramage and Hobbs are too slow and aren't good enough to make up for it, Eckersley is kind of crap and Johnson doesn't produce the goos enough. Alot of ex-Man Utd players there. You definitely need at least 2 more fast CB's, a LB and an AM. See above icon14.gif

I have Foster and Hoyte on loan, Foster doing well, but still have Basso and Preston Edwards as back up. Hoyte not doing well, fans don't like him at all and he isn't perfoming very well/consistantly but he is fast so can't afford to let him go really. Duff was on a free and I paid good money for Kitson, who is failing to provide a decent return. Thank god for Stancu he is single handedly keeping me with a fighting chance of staving off relegation. Eckerlsey doing ok and Johnson inconsistant. Still have Elliott and Assancao has just joined. Fontaine has some pace so is getting more games now. Ramage may be slow but the fans love him, will bring Hobbs along as hopefully he will be good in the future but definately not as a partner for Ramage.

I drew my next 3 games, 1-1 with Sunderland, 0-0 with Boro (not Villa as I thought) and 1-1 with Liverpool so hopefully turning a corner. Have Everton away in the 4th round of the FA Cup next, then games against the sides below me in succession, Bolton and Birmingham so by the end of January I'll have a better picture of the table. And quite possibly be sacked ! Struggling to find loan players (as I have Foster and Hoyte anyway) I can only get foreign loan signings or buy - and I have hardly any cash so looks like I will have to keep the faith with my current squad.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Evon:

Forget the fans. And surely you have at least 100k? There's quite a few under 100k above. Try selling players like Johnson, McCombe, Edwards etc. to raise cash. And where's Myrie-Williams? He's ffffb icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Betsy is just impossible to get rid of....but if you can get rid of Betsy, you deserve a medal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Probably because his stats aren't representative of his actual ability. They never were in previous versions of FM when he was at Wycombe, so I doubt they are now. I'm not saying he's good enough for a top Championship team, but could be if he worked harder. As well as being a lazy ****, he doesn't have a left foot and can't hit a donkey's @rse with a banjo, but has such a good ability that he can walk the ball past players as well as having a bit of pace.

Must start a Wycombe game soon...

• 2 weeks later...

Well after reaching the heights of 15th I eventually finished 17th. I was 15th with 3 games to go (after randomly beating rival relegation candidates Blackburn 6-0) 8 points clear of relegation zone but lost the last 3 games to Spurs, Chelsea and Man United. I got a young French defender on loan from Lyon Abenzoar or something like that, he was pacy and formed a good partnership with Ramage.

Got a new laptop on the way, torn between starting again (only have medium database and English leagues running) and keeping the team going. Just realised that I forgot to correct the German team etc so think I will restart with City again. And learn from my mistakes !

• 2 weeks later...

Shame you haven't got Myrie-Wliiams. had him on loan for the year at AFCB and he was brilliant. Part of my Championship winning team :-)Played him as an attacking left mid. Breezed passed opposing right back-backs without a care in the world.

Sign Vokes. Worth 3 mill at 18 for me at. 40 goals in League 1.

• 4 weeks later...

Right back again, with my new and improved Bristol City side on a laptop that can handle FM easily. I have other leagues open now and get offered players on loan which has never happened before and the media now ask me my feelings on former players which I've never had before either but is a nice touch.

I got promoted second in the Championship again, I could have and should have won it but like last time my team seemed determind to throw it all at the death.

I'm up to mid Jan of season 08/09 now and doing nicely. I have 31 points and am 10th, so survival is almost guaranteed despite some horrific injuries to fairly small squad. I changed tactics from a 4-4-1-1 to a 4-1-2-2-1 when I got in to a run of bad results around October team and have been consistant ever since (touch wood).

My squad is as follows :

GK Foster (loan) Olazabal (Barca youngster) Preston Edwards.

DR Halls, Carey, Elliott

DC Sabic, Fontaine, Fitz Hall,

DL Sepsi, Fontaine

DM James Fowler, Nengomashe (or something like that), Elliott, Skuse

MR Sproule, Arshavin

ML Myrie Williams, Abou Trika, McIndoe,

AM Lulinha, Arshavin, Abou Trika

ST Stancu, Doudin, Myrie Williams, Carroll (loan)

I'm sure I'm missing another centre back but I'm having a mental block at the moment (I'm at work.

I've beaten Everton 5-2, drawn with Chelsea but been thrashed by Liverpool and Arsenal. My goal difference is 0 and it has taken me a long time to get it as good as that !

Right got home and had a look, have no other centre backs other thsn Carey so yes I know I need to improve at the back. Foster has been immense, Fitz Hall very consistant too. I will sort out the defence at the end of the season.

Arshavin has been awesome, lots of goals and assists. And no I don't play Sproule ahead of him, that was just my squad ! Arshavin plays behind Stancu, got him for around £6m. Lulinha was less than £1.5m if I remember correctly but is quite injury prone, but quality and definately makes an impact when he plays. The defence midfielder I had was Nyandro and Nangomashe, got him on a free, his speciality seems to be clearing the ball of the line and long shots. Handy player to have.

Hall has been good for me, it's Sabic that is letting me down. Will need to replace my entire defence anyway (except Sepsi but I might push him up to LM). I will miss Foster that's for sure, he has been awesome. I have recently been playing Elliott at right back, and he has been doing better than Halls or Carey. It all depends on how much cash I get at the start of next season as I need another top striker too. At least my rep should be better next season and it might easier to get some decent fringe Barca/Real etc on loan.

Playing with City is a bit annoying because the loyalty to some City players keeps me from selling them even though they are not really good enough at Prem level, then I feel guilty they aren't playing!

Will have a bit time on the game later, have Newcastle in 4th round FA Cup and playing a few sides around me, Spurs, Man City, Everton, Newcastle.

No, I got Trika on a free at the end of the first season, before I watched any of the African Nations Cup. I wanted to find a face for him though and in looking for one I found about him, there are some great clips on youtube and his career record, trophies and awards won stands up to anyone.

That said he has been a bit poor for me, he has been unhappy that he is competing for places for Arshavin and Lulinha all season. He has played a lot though but not as effective as he should be for his stats.

I remember hearing that name...it's quite distinctive. I'm not playing my Bristol City game much atm as I'm trying to get through more than 2 seasons on my Man Utd game atm. I've only ever done 2 seasons on any game I've played for some reason...

• 1 month later...

Well I'm a the start of season 2010/11 now and unbelievably I'm in the Champions League, well qualifiers anyway.

I got promoted as 2nd in the Championship in my first season, finished 13th in the Prem in my first season and last season I finished 3rd with a 4-1-2-2-1 formation.

My team is as follows :

GK Daniel Fernandes, Olzabal (from Barca), Preston Edwards

DF John Halls, Fitz Hall, Sepsi, Anthony Gardner, Billy Jones, Michael Dawson, Cesar Arzo, Barragan

MID Motta, Giles Barnes, Kalouda, Arshavin, Lulinha, Trika, Barbosa,

ST Stancu, Doudin, Myrie Williams

Stancu got the European golden boot last season, 38 goals in 38 appearances, Arshavin got player of the year and Barnes young player of the year. I scored over 100 goals in the league but conceded nearly 70 I think its obvious where the problem lies !

Skuse, Keogh, Fontaine, Sproule and Plummer still hanging around. Elliott, Trundle and McIndoe have just gone.

On a different note has anyone given Skuse a proper go ? I haven't and he is still at the club, the strange thing is his value of £1.1 million hasn't changed, if you don't play someone their value normally rockets downwards but not with him which makes me wonder if there is something about him which I have missed ?

Beat Celtic 5-1 at Parkhead in EC qualifier, should be a formality at Ashton Gate now.

Well a quick update, I'm up to Jan 2011 and I'm 3rd in the league, 6 points off top. I have Derby in League Cup semi (just beat them 7-0 in the league) and have PSV in the 1st knock out round of the Euro Cup. I finished top of my Euro group beating AC Milan 2-0 at home and drawing 1-1 away.

Giles Barnes, Arshavin having a great season, Myrie Williams has been in the last 2 England squads too but hasn't played yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Beat Man United in League Cup final, think the score was 3-1, they took us for granted and rested Rooney and Ronaldo, have just beat Chelsea in the FA Cup semi so have Man City in the FA Cup final. So at last a trophy after 4 years.

I beat PSV in the Champions League, thrashing them at home but lost on away goals to Chelsea after drawing 0-0 away and 2-2 at home in the next round.

I have 3 games left in the league and am currently 5th, its between Chelsea and us for the 4th Champs League spot, they are currently 1 point clear. West Ham in 3rd position! Everton are just behind us waiting to capitalise on any less minutes slip ups.

Have signed Thiago (midfielder) from Villarreal on a pre contract bosman, had a rash of bad injuries and bad form struggling to maintain our league position and will sell Kalouda, Thiago, Doudin and a few more at the end of the season. Stancu, condisering he was the Euro Golden Boot the previous season has had his less effective season for me so far, that said I am still top scorer in the Prem and my goals against column is much better this season, hovering around mid table in terms of goals conceded.

Liverpool have done nothing in any season and have changed manager loads of times with no improvement, one guy went after about a month.

Well somehow Chelsea contrived to lose their last 2 games, I won 1 and lost the final game 2-0 to Villa, I thought I had blown it until I saw Chelsea's result, so I ended up 4th and in the Champions league spot. Chelsea qualify for UEFA cup.

I beat Man City in the FA Cup, can't remember the score but both Motta and Doudin scored, so that's 2 cups for this season.

Been given £40m for this season, said I would qualify for Europe. Got a load of Spanish regens in cheap (seem to be no good English ones) and Chelsea's Serbian DLC and Sakho on a free. Have bids for Babel, Digard, Sissoko, Briand and VDV in, not sure will continue with them all, I can get £5m for Motta and around £8m for Doudin so that will help. Going for the title this year.

Dawson, Lulinha and Milner wanted by everyman and his dog at the moment. Doudin, Olzabal, Barragan, Arzo all wanted too.

Got GTA 4 so less time for FM now !

• 2 weeks later...

Hello. Good luck to Bristol City in the play-off final! I left Bristol when i was ten and went to Ashton Gate with my dad all the time. Ive since followed Wycombe Wanderers however Bristol City remain close to my heart.

I myself have only recently got Bristol City promoted via the play-offs. (hopefully this will be a good omen) I beat Norwich in the final 2-1 AET with Lee Johnson scoring a long range winner on 120 minutes. We thought our way to a pleasing 5th placed finish after also spending time in the top 2.

I played primarily with a 4-5-1 formation, concentrating on a solid defence without being too cautious. Encouraging attacking play with short passing. Sometimes I switched between that and a 4-4-2 set up later on in the season as my teams encouraging start to the season seemed not to be just down to luck. We disappointed in both cups but overall it was an excellent season.

Players sold-

Showunmi- 100k

Sproule- 150k

Wilson- 80k

Weale- 60k

Adebola- 40k

McCallister- 200k

Fontaine- 1million

Outstanding players in the original team were-

Louis Carey- Was fans player of the season which i couldn't really argue with either. Absolute rock for a centre-back and also captain. Missed about 2 games all season and scored quite a few goals with his head too.

Marvin Elliot- Vice-captain was my pick for player of the season; he controlled a 5 man midfield. Got injured halfway into the season during which we dropped out the play-off places for the first time. On his return, went on a 7 match winning streak which helped us coast to a play-off finish.

David Noble- Wasn't in my plans for a long time and with teams interested he became a very important member of the midfield.

Lee Johnson- His, Nobles and Elliot's passing ability was the key to the teams success in my opinion. With these 3 playing every team of the park with their passing, who and how many i had upfront became irreverent.

Other players who featured heavily were Basso, Orr, McIndoe and Trundle. Trundle started almost every match, most of the time upfront on his own and scored a respectable 11 goals.

The players i bought were-

Craig Conway (Dundee United)- 400k. Winger finished in the Championship Team of the year after 19 assists and 4 goals.

Jorge Rojas (Maracaibo)- 230k. Didn't score as many goals as i thought he would but my team struggled without him at left-back.

Kieran McKenna (Tottenham)- 500k. A lot of money spent on him and i was worried about his poor physical stats but performed well when he played with his versatility proving usefull. 28 league games.

Tamas Vasko (Ujpest)- 100k. Decided to take a chance on him and made his loan permanent before the season started. Started off on the bench but after McCombe seemed to be conceding penalties in every game! put him in the first 11 where he stayed for the rest of the season.

Brett Ormerod (Preston)- 220k. His experience and determination were vital for me. With me wanting to limit the amount of foreigners i bought to City and leaving myself only Trundle and Byfield for strikers, he was signed really as a last resort with the little money i had left and no one else better available. He didn't disappoint me however, with 17 goals in just 30 league games, half of them as substitute. Top scorer.

Graham Kavanagh (Unattached)- Free. Realeased by Sunderland in November, i signed him on a 6 month contract to add competition in midfield and of course an old favourite of mine EXPERIENCE. Started off in the team but was eventually fazed out by the better passers i had .

Kevin Phillips (West Brom)- 60k. My only Jan signing. I had sold Byfield after no goals in 16 games (albeit from the bench) and once again experience came good as he actually managed to freshen things up, and his form actually forced me to change from playing with 1 upfront with 2 at times. 7 goals in 21 games.

Loans- Andy Carrol and James Henry, both of which were fairly poor.

BristolCity-Leaguetable08.jpg

Archived