A little help please guys...

Im planning on buying a new laptop in time for 09 coming out. Could someone who knows a little about computer specs please advise me on a decent one to buy. I ideally want one from Dell or PC World and have around £500 to spend. I'll only be using it for the internet and playing FM 09 so something that will run 09 fast and with a few decent leagues would be great!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Do you want to stick to Dell? I use HP entertainment Laptop with VISTA. Dual Core & 2GB of ram which I upgraded to 4GB (not much extra cost). I only use mine the sameway as you intend to use yours and I would recommend it. I cannot remember the exact model I have but it is the DVDEA model and it cost under £500.00

Having only just had a few hours on it, it runs ok, not slow. In VISTA it tells gives you a rating based on software, ie if you want to play high end graphics game then your system should have a rating of 5, mine is 3 but I do not play high end graphics games. An overall system requirement for FM09 is 3 and my model matches that. The only reason I go for HP is that they last a long time, my old one I gave to my kids and that is now about 7 years old and never had a problem and I have had a Dell. Which ever you go for it you have Vista make sure you have at least 2GB of RAM & if you choose a 32bit system the most it will recognise is approx 3.4GB of RAM. Vista takes up approx 1GB of RAM leaving 1GB spare & I think FM09 requires 2GB

I got my wife the one suggested above and I have found it to be very slow. Maybe I have not configured it properly. To be honest I have not played FM on it. I basically just compared basic things like startup, closing down, internet speed, those type of things. I looked at upgrading the RAM on that model & decided not to as it looked too complicated (for me any way) my one I just undid 2 screws at the back took the panel off and there was the RAM and I do think you would need more than 1GB

Archived