changing the font

gallas 10

so im actually pretty happy with the default skin that came with football manager 2008

only problem is i kinda hate the font and ive seen skins that people have made and the fonts have been changed

so can i have some instructions on how i can change the font to something i want

and that means the font for everything titles text etc

hope you can help im kinda stressing

so im actually pretty happy with the default skin that came with football manager 2008

only problem is i kinda hate the font and ive seen skins that people have made and the fonts have been changed

so can i have some instructions on how i can change the font to something i want

and that means the font for everything titles text etc

hope you can help im kinda stressing

i would also like to know this! anyone?

This would be useful.

I don't have the slightest idea about skinning, so I will start with the introduction thread. I want to try and reduce the text size very slightly, to make a version of the default skin that works on a 1280x800 widescreen laptop without having scrollbars for attributes etc.

I probably won't be able to achieve this, but I hope I can.

I was going to start a thread about this but you beat me to it :) I would love the ability to just change the font/s in the game with a drop down selection of fonts but i suppose it would be hard to implement because of how different fonts are drawn within the tables/paramiters of the game.

Edit the XML file in the folder for the skin you want to edit.

You can change the font size here, or you can create a folder 'fonts' and copy fonts into there and use them as well. It's a bit hard to explain, but when you do it, it's very simple.

Could you elaborate on it though because I tried what you said with the Flex skin which already has a fonts folder so i threw in the font "segoeui" and the bold version and then went into the XML file for the skin names "flex" and replaced every instance of the existing font name "vera" with "segoeui" and also did the same in the settings XML in the settings folder but it hasnt worked.

I know its probably not as simple as that but im willing to learn :)

OK, I'll try :D

I'm using this skin I made last night as an example, because it's the only skin I've ever worked on!

You'll notice the main folder has an XML file in it by the same name. In the skin I'm using as an example, it is called fm2008.xml.

In this file there is the settings for the main font/s used for various parts of the game.

Again, look for this segment of code, this is for the main font & size used in the game (there are other segments, well commented so easy to find, for tooltip, title, and button text);

<!-- TEXT PROPERTIES -->
<flags id="txfn" value="fonts/vera" comment=" Text font "/>
<integer id="txss" value="7" />					<!-- text size small -->
<integer id="txsn" value="8" />					<!-- text size normal -->
<integer id="txsl" value="10" />				<!-- text size large -->

As an example, change the 'value' for txsn (text size normal) to 7 instead of 8, and you'll notice text in player profiles and on side menus changes to a smaller size (remember to tick 'always reload skin on confirm' and untick 'use skin cache').

I copied the 'Verdana' font from the C:\Windows\Fonts folder (it was Open Type Font - this may make a difference) into the 'fonts' folder of the skin, and then changed the line that says value="fonts/vera" to value="fonts/verdana", reloaded the skin, and it changed the in-game font.

I'm sorry I can't be too specific or clear with my instructions, I've only ever spent 30 minutes skinning and that was to make player profiles properly viewable on my widescreen laptop. The only reason I know this little bit on fonts is because I thought changing the font size might do the trick for me, which it didn't.

• 2 weeks later...

i love the waay ive got mine looking but the commentry is quite big and when exclaimation marks appear like this!!!!! the line and the dot on each exclamation mark look joined up with my font that im using,

can i change just this font? or will it effect other columns?

Archived