Problem with friendlies after advance to the higher league

When I played in Netherlands’ 1st league (Jupiter League – Eerstedivisie) I organized a lot of friendly matches (tournaments in cup or league format). I organized them before and during the season. I invited middle-high class European level clubs (for example Torino, Palermo, PSG, Anderlecht, Benfica etc). Sometimes I paid them for their visit (but no more, than 10.000 euro), but in most cases didn’t pay any fees.

After the season I advanced to the Eredivisie. My club’s reputation raised, the board allowed to contract more coaches and everything was OK. But when I tried to organize friendly tournaments or simple matches no club wants to arrive. I tried to invite clubs of the same level as a year before, tried to pay them (seven 150 000 euro). So I tried to invite amateur clubs. The same effect. Sometimes (but very rarely) invited club agrees, but I have to try 30-40 times before.

I tried to organize matches in big time advance or in near future. Without difference.

Is it a normal behavior of the game? Or maybe by database or save file isn’t OK?

Is there anybody, who experienced the same?

Maybe it is the problem of Netherlands’ league.

When I played in Finnish league I never experienced such problem.

It might be because of reputation issues, since Premier Division division clubs have a bigger reputation generally.

It also might be because you are now much better (gee, you promoted) so they have a much harder time to play with you. Hence, they want compensation for the game.

Having said that, it all boils down on how much you pay them for the game. If I get 300.000 for playing CSKA Moscow, I have to give them at least 100.000 in order to let them come over. Probably even 150.000 to 200.000 Some clubs come for relatively small amounts of money, while others demand at least half of your income.

Try fiddling around a bit with the money you offer them. Generally you end up earning half of the money you should be earning, the other half (if not more) goes to the clubs you invite. At least, that's my experience.

It also depends on who you invite. Clubs without a competition are more likely to participate than clubs whose leagues you did load on the start of the game.

Archived