Football : The Chalkboard Era

I read an interesting article by a writer at ESPN found here : http://soccernet.espn.go.com/feature/_/id/885068/alexander-netherton:-don't-hail-the-new-puritans?cc=5901

He outlines that people are getting too caught up with tactics and are missing the passion that the game is about and made reference to Football Manager, I thought it would be a good idea to discuss whether or not analyzing the game to the extent we've been doing recently is having a positive outlook on the game.

Personally, I have many issues with the article and I disagree on the majority of what the writer complains about, but I don't disagree completely that nowadays, everyone is caught up with tactics and formation. Everyones too caught up with creating a perfect formation and over analyzing outcomes. Rather than seeing the brilliance of talented players doing the unexpected, we see the mistake in the organization of the defense.

I have always respected the likes of Oscar Tabarez and Marcelo Bielsa for the way the organized their squads to produce beautiful football, but a formation is merely an organization of the players available to you.

I remember reading an article that voiced how Harry Redknapp manages his squad which interested me. Rather than instructing a player to perform a certain way, he finds a player that plays the game he likes and introduces him to the squad. He said something along the lines that coaching isn't as complicated as the modern game makes it out to be.

I remember being told by my coach to concentrate on your own game. Don't let the opposition change the style the squad is accustom to. You are better off mastering your game and forcing the opposition to adapt themselves to it, rather than the other way around. This way, you always have the advantage.

Archived