anyone awake who can give some advice re. defending?

hi. all nighter. as you do.

i've got no problem setting up my attack but i'm really taking note of my team and i want to defend better. i know little about it. i'm deploying a flat back 4 and they all have great defensive and mental attributes. FYI: LB Mathijsen, DC Kehl, DC Diarra or Radoi, RB Spahic.

some goals i just put down to defender error/missed interceptions/top class striker up against them. but i'm sure i can close up shop a little more effectively.

my backline is set to push up and attacking mentality because my midfield and attack are very attacking and i dont want a huge gap between them.

if there are any decent threads re. back 4 i'd be interested if someone can point me in the right direction.

my main questions are:

-play offside or not? been caught out by Torres and Benayoun playing liverpool away. no shame in that i guess. is "decisions" as an attribute important for playing offside or is it just anticipation and positioning?

-closing down. always perplexed me this one. if my FBs close down a lot then the opposition forwards get space down the flanks. if i dont close down i risk making tackles in my box and risking penalties or them getting shots off.

-can i get the line to push up to the max and lower mentality to stop opposition getting in behind but ensuring no huge gap between midfield and defence?

anyone who can answer any of the above will be perpetually loved by me!

thanks in advance, neil

Archived