Ability and Potential (PSP)

Hi,

I have played a few seasons of FHM 2010 for PSP and have come up with a question:

How are Ability and Potential determined? How are they being influenced?

I certainly have the problem that I have signed a few player with a 6-star potentiel. They were certainly young (17-19 years of age), but after some time they lost their 6-stars (down to 4 now). I generally have that issue not just with young players.

My players are usually rated with a 6 or 7. Hardly with an 8 or above. However, I am winning games, championships etc. and the players get a lot of appearences per season (20+).

Training is pretty tough, but all my players have a green arrow pointing up for defense and attacking.

The question is: Why are they not improving?

Any comment is highly appreciated!

Nice game btw ;)

Thanks

• SI Staff

Their behind the scenes 'potential' will remain the same however if a player isn't developing fast enough then coaches will consider it less likely they're reach their potential (do bear in mind that in some cases this might simply be the case of the coaches being incorrect about a players potential- they aren't 100% accurate) .. it might be that they're a late bloomer or just unable to fulfil their potential.

Reasons for players not fulfilling potential are many-fold, but I'll list a few in case some are appropriate to your case:

* Players are injured, a bad injury at the wrong time can seriously hurt a youngsters chances of becoming the next big thing.

* OVER training players, if a player is continually knackered then its entirely possible that he'll become injury prone and thus less likely to develop in the long run.

* OVER playing players, if a player is struggling to stay fit then this might affect his development (check his profile if he's jaded or having problems keeping his condition up then this might be a factor).

* Bad luck (the sh*t happens situation)

* Poor professionalism, if a player is continually late for training etc. - then he'll be less likely to concentrate and fulfil his potential

* Size of club, players at a smaller club will be less likely to have access to quality coaches and facilities and thus less likely to become world class.

Hey Marc,

Thanks for taking the time to answer!

Is there a way to spot bad professionalism?

Also, if the condition is at 100%, the player is neither overtrained nor overplayed, right?

Is Moral a factor, too?

And last but not least: Does potential ever go up? Or can it only decrease? (i.e. will a player ever be able to become a 6-star if his potential is currently 4-star?)

Thanks!

... Does potential ever go up? Or can it only decrease? (i.e. will a player ever be able to become a 6-star if his potential is currently 4-star?)

Thanks!

I don't think potential changes either up or down. It's just a case of if their current ability will ever match their potential.

From what Marc has said I would imagine that (as an example) if a player has a potential of 6 stars the potential will always be 6 stars (behind the scenes at least). It may be reported as lower if the coach/scout doesn't think it is still possible for the player to reach that potential.

Basically potential is what a players current skill COULD one day possibly be if everything goes in their favour. E.G. Ryan Giggs. If any combination of the above examples should affect their growth then obviously this is going to hamper them reaching their maximum potential. E.G. Francis Jeffers!

Thanks for replying.

Makes absolute sense.

I guess this then also does mean that the scout/coach could be wrong and that a player that was once rated with 6 stars really only has 4.

So how does ability/potential increase? I assume by decent game ratings (8+)

Also, what really determines the skill of a player? Is it his attributes? His potential/ability? Both? Does ability act as some kind of factor/multiplier?

Thanks!

(almost there) :)

Also, what really determines the skill of a player? Is it his attributes? His potential/ability? Both? Does ability act as some kind of factor/multiplier?

This I'm not totally shure about - especially in FMH. I think it's a combination of attributes/current ability and fitness/morale. Although there have been cases where I have one player who has better 'key' skills for his best position and then another player in the same position who I think doesn't have as good attributes as the first but my coach seems to rate him more stars :confused:

• SI Staff
So how does ability/potential increase? I assume by decent game ratings (8+)

His in match performances and happiness/training performances will help impress a coach with regards to his potential in the main.

There are a number of factors involved in the 'skill' of a player his attributes, his ability and his personality/hidden factors.

A player will higher potential than ability will occassionally 'show' that potential by playing above his current ability now and again - but won't be consistently at a higher level until he truly reaches it (thus that young kid with huge potential might every now and then crack an amazing shot off from 30 yards, but generally stay inconsistent until he gains the maturity to do it consistently).

There are personality traits which can affect a players personality both for the good and bad - thus an unprofessional player may ignore instructions or be late for training etc., a professional and hard working player will always give 100% regardless of whats going on in the team at present (think Gerrard at Liverpool presently) ..

There are personality traits which can affect a players personality both for the good and bad - thus an unprofessional player may ignore instructions or be late for training etc., a professional and hard working player will always give 100% regardless of whats going on in the team at present (think Gerrard at Liverpool presently) ..

I take it these are hidden? Otherwise I am sure I woould have spotted them somehow...

Again, just to be clear: Generally speaking, two players with the same stats (technical, mental, fitness, etc) will perform stronger/weaker depending on their ability, correct?

Let's assume I have two identical players. Same stats, same positions, age, nationality, (let's assume the hidden factors are also the same), etc. One of them has 4 stars, the other has 2 stars. Is one of them twice as good as the other? What is the ratio, i.e. how "important" is ability in the end...?

Thanks so much for your help!

• SI Staff
I take it these are hidden? Otherwise I am sure I woould have spotted them somehow...

Some personality traits are present as standard 'attributes' - others you have to infer through the text shown on the players profiles, for instance a player who is 'angry' about a situation is likely to have a poor temperament, one who is frustrated is showing restraint and likely to be more professional etc.

Again, just to be clear: Generally speaking, two players with the same stats (technical, mental, fitness, etc) will perform stronger/weaker depending on their ability, correct?

If all other stats are equal (including hidden ones) then yes the ability will be the determining factor in most cases BUT ...... also do bear in mind that a players morale can affect performances (and indeed a low morale isn't always bad for performances, some players play best under pressure) as can their happiness, contractual settings (goal bonus etc.) and every player also has an 'ability offset' which is basically an indication of his current form - he might be playing at the top of his game or having a down period ... its up to you as manager to decide.

Let's assume I have two identical players. Same stats, same positions, age, nationality, (let's assume the hidden factors are also the same), etc. One of them has 4 stars, the other has 2 stars. Is one of them twice as good as the other? What is the ratio, i.e. how "important" is ability in the end...?

Ability is very important BUT not the be all and end all, for instance if you have a very rigid style you want them playing with an old fashioned defensive setup them a limited defender who is strong where you need him will probably suit you better than a more talented player who has a habit of trying to dribble the ball out of the box ..... horses for courses.

Archived