International tactics.

Okay, I've taken control of my first national team in 2024 - Scotland, after spending all my time at St Mirren and still current employed by them too.

So, I'm stuck with a rather strange looking national team, I have a top-class defence, all positions has strength and depth of good players in defence, including wing backs, I have a decent centre midfield, I have pretty poor wide midfield, most of which are slow and cannot function as proper wingers, and I have a very good strike force, possibly the amongst the best in the world.

So what am I supposed to play? I'm so used to using wingers, yet here I'm forced to go without, or at least have a mixture of 1 winger and 1 wide midfielder, and not expect the world from them. I'm wondering really, does 4-3-3 work at international level? how about even 4-2-4? both would play to my teams strengths in a way. I'm also tempted by a 5-3-2 setup, with pushed up wingbacks and one of those midfielders right behind the strikers, it's a tactic I employed at st Mirren against some difficult sides, very solid defensively, however not always the best from a goal-scoring point of view.

I know I should just try and see, but it's my first step into international management in fm2010 and I wanted to know what some others thought of it - do I play to my teams players strengths, or just adjust based upon opposition, even if it means employing my awful wide midfield players?.

Archived