Serious problem here...

Now I have mixed feeling about the new patch, I have 2 games going, one with Peterborough in the Premiership and one with Bognor Regis in the Blue Square South. Now while it seems to have fixed just about all of the problems in my Bognor game, its made worse all the problems of my Peterborough game, and this has seriously affected my enjoyment of this game.

My Bognor team are quite frankly, free scoring, averaging about 2.5 goals per game after about half a season. Now in my Peterborough game I can't buy a goal, and its really worrying me now, I don't want to have to delete this game because of the time I've put into it, however I now have one goal in 9 games, and that was in the FA Cup against a Championship Oldham in a 1-1 draw. I lost the replay 1-0 :mad: This from a team that is meant to be pushing for a top 6 spot but is now fighting the relegation battle of its life. I'm told by my staff that my fully developed players are "World Class" as well as possessing several wonderkids, a good balance of youth and experience. I'm the 2nd lowest scoring team in the league in front of only just promoted Boro who have an awful team.

When watching the games I notice that my players can't finish at all, all shots are at the keeper who saves every time. Now all of my coaches are 4-4.5 stars in every department so I would presume that they can teach my players how to find the back of the net. The commentary and assisstant manager feedback indicates that I'm dominating possession and tackles in matches yet I lose them all because I can't score, can't keep a clean sheet either.

In all other versions from FM05 up to this I've been able to create a successful tactic, yet it seems impossible on this one due to an over emphasis on player roles. I don't know nothing about tactics but I can't find anything that works. Given what I said above about dominating games you probably wouldn't think theres much wrong, but evidently the results say otherwise. I can't think of much else that I can change to be honest.

Sorry to rant and rave like this but if you could take some time out of your busy managerial schedule ;) to help a fellow FM lover it would be greatly appreciated.

To be fair, player roles cannot be emphasised enough. Is there really such a thing as "over emphasis" on something that is, quite frankly, fundamental to the success of any team? I guess you are one of those who wants to create one tactic which is dominant in everything and forget about individual players.

Football doesn't work like that. How many managers in real life just pick the team, then say "it's ok boys, today we're using the '4-4-2 Obliterate-All!' So it doesn't really matter how you perform individually, because the game's in the bag already!"

Don't get me wrong I'm not big headed and think "I should automatically win because I'm the best at games".

I perhaps didn't explain my point too the fullest because the player roles wasn't my primary concern, in my opinion, in the old games the individual player settings effectively determined a player's role for example whether to make forward runs often or to dribble with the ball. But they are automatically set when you choose to play someone as an advanced playmaker or complete forward etc.

I was just looking for hint and tips to help me because this version is different to the others, so maybe I find it harder to work my way around the settings or what goes with whatever. Anyone?

Archived