Defending a corner

Champions League Last Sixteen: Liverpool vs. Inter. I concede from a corner in the first minute. Lucio scored the header.

When i watched the replay this was hardly surprising since 5ft 8in Yossi Benayoun had been the one to pick him up.

Johnson (Mark Far)

Dossena (Mark Near)

Carragher (Tall) - Eto'o (5'11, Jumping 13)

Skrtel (Tall) - Milito (6'0, Jumping 14)

Vieira (Man) - Cordoba (5'8, Jumping 16)

Aquilani (Back) - Motta (6'2, Jumping 14)

Obasi (Back) - Cambiasso (5'10, Jumping 10)

Benayoun (Back) - Lucio (6'2, Jumping 17)

Kuyt (Forward)

Torres (Forward)

Now, i have a question. Perhaps somebody could enlighten me.

Why the hell was it decided that my smallest player on the pitch would pick up their best player in the air? And i would point out that it isn't as though there was a scramble of bodies in the box and it just happened that Benayoun was closest to Lucio; the Brazilian was attacking, alone, at the near post and clearly being tracked by the little Israeli.

It gets worse, when you learn that Eto'o, who was picked up by Carragher as one of Inter's "Tall" players, was stood OUTSIDE the penalty area on 'Lurk', waiting for a long range opportunity.

Admittedly i meant to have Kuyt going back instead of Benayoun, which i forgot, but isn't that irrelevant? Why was Lucio left to Benayoun? Surely, Skrtel and Carragher should both have taken care of Motta and Lucio as their two tallest players? Surely, any player set on 'Tall' should not be marking a player who isn't even in the box to win a header?!

I usually have one player on each post and ALL other players on man mark. I concede very few corner goals, then again I miss out on some counter-possibilities.

Afaik only heading and jumping are taken into consideration, not the player's height.

Archived